Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 20 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

Hi Pete

Same as the ones I made while working on Formula Three race cars back in the 70s  They fitted to the car with “P” clips , would you believe I haven’t looked to see how it’s going to be fitted. Probably go with “P” clips  

Tony 

Hi Angus , today I’ve ordered of eBay hopefully two female connectors that match with the mx5 males. Think they are used and coming with wire tails.  
Have at present only made one bracket to see if it will work. Got to sort out ball joint for the motor and was thinking of a rose bearing over the original steel shaft. 

Tony 

Update on the fitted windscreen. 
Having left the roof propped up for three extra days over what the fitter said, time to start to fit the surrounding trim. 
Removed the wooden prop, no problem all looked good.  
Now first fit for bottom trim , which I purchased from Lotusbits, not cheap as it was nearly in mint condition.  So, instantly I came a cropper the screen is fitted so the trim doesn’t clip into the plastic clips at both bottom corners. 
Guess I should have fitted top and bottom trims as soon as the screen was fitted, this may have set the thickness of adhesive between glass and body.  Or thinking back to when the fitter was installing the screen he was pushing and pulling way more than I would’ve done , so perhaps it’s fitted as good as the glass and body shape lets it. 
Might help anyone in the future who’s never fitted a screen things to watch out for. 
Perhaps I should have trial fitted screen to see how it matched screen aperture. But then if it’s not a good match there wouldn’t be much I could do. Plus risk breaking the screen by solo handling on and off the car and back inside my house. 
No worries it will all get sorted.  🥴

Tony 

Just starting to think about door mirrors, the holes in door skins have been filled in and over painted. I can just make out where they are but noticed on an Elite down at Lotusbits it’s mirror was mounted on door skin next to the opening window. Any good reason for this ? Also purchased mirrors of internet, no bolts, are the nuts on the inside attached to a fixing plate to spread the load or are they individual. 
regards. 

Tony 

On my '74 there was no fixing plate or reinforcement on the door skin.  I've added a couple of extra layers of glass fibre (inside, obviously!) to the fixing area to reinforce it.

Pete

• Like 1

Hi Tony   my MX5 motors have arrived and ive bench tested one of them and it seems to work ok.  Rotates 180 deg one the dipped and main beam and continues to 360 deg on return/release. Looking at it from the front it rotates anti clockwise so hopefully its going the right way. 

• Like 1

Hi Angus been side tracked with my sprinter, head gasket went at Lotusbits.  Had it skimmed locally and only just managed to get it to run 10 minutes ago.  For days whatever I did it would just turn over and never fire. 
I still need to source ball joint to go on motor arm, look like 12mm. So I can then check bracket out. Before I make others 

Tony 

Angus , found a post on the forum about MX 5 motors and several photos.  Trouble is I’ve been to bed since then and now can’t find it.   Think it was around 2014.  The person had extended the cranked arm on the mx5 motors. And went down to 6mm ball end couplings.  
it should be on my iPad saved to a file somewhere.  Will ask my daughter to find it once she’s finished work.  

Tony 

Hi Tony   its in the lights/HVAC section from 14/10/14 " MX5 headlamp conversation" and the really relevant stuff is from black eclat. This is the one i used for the wiring info. 

• Like 1

Another question, the cant or drip rails, noticed on mine they must have been attached with self tapping screws, but over the door the holes seem large enough for set screws.  Have they been enlarged or does it have screws.  
Thanks  again.  
Tony

Tony 

Well after days of indecision over the finish of the windscreen trim and roof trim , I’m no further forward. When I first thought about the trim finish it was easy it would have to be painted black, as top and bottom windscreen trim were not in a good state. 
Then saw the post where the owner had vinyl wrapped them in brushed aluminium, that looked good , I will go that way I thought.  Vinyl arrived, never wrapped before and managed a roof trim reasonably.  Then attempted the windscreen top corner, well that didn’t go well. After several attempts I got one that was not really as good as it needed to be.

Had to pick up a new screen from Lotusbits, also they had a selection of top and bottom windscreen trims , one set nearly mint , expensive but worth it.  So that changed the mind away from brushed aluminium to vinyl chrome.  
To get to the point that again failed do to inexperience of me thinking I could do it. 
 So I have been working on a tandem bike from the 1940s for a friend doing a complete rebuild.   Some parts he’s had re-chromed.  Other parts he supplied a two part chrome paint from France. Thought will spray Lotus trims to be a close match to my new windscreen trim from Lotusbits.  Well turned out it’s nowhere near a match to original anodised trim. So I now have three options, 1 not sure on the cost or if it’s possible to re-anodise original parts 2 take trim to vinyl wrap company and get professional to cover them. 3 paint the entire trim gloss black.  
The trim obviously makes the car stand out, so tomorrow job phone anodising company first then if failure, the vinyl wrap company.  
It’s taking many days but I know it’s beaten me. 😂😂

Hope that all makes sense ,it’s taken so long to type on my iPhone with one finger. Basically tried couple of things , total failure be me , now going to professionals. 

Tony 

I'm going to an anodising company in Birmingham soon to get a quote for bright anodising (not hard anodising 😉) - very few people do it now because the chemicals are so toxic.  I'll be getting quotes for my roof trims but it will give a good idea of cost.  Before re-anodising you have to remove the anodic coating and re-polish to a mirror finish.  I've been quoted about £25 per piece for this by a local company.  I'll let you know what the quotes are for the roof trims.

As Simon says Heritage motor works offer this service (they sub out the anodising I think), but I've heard good things about them.

Also SJ still keeps some new trim in stock.

Pete

• Like 1