Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 8 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

What a complicated saga this is.

My early 74 car with A/C ( all early ones were A/C) has levers without holes ( Pete's first picture), but buttons as the second picture, although no screws. The button is tight fit on the lever and would be unlikely to pull off under normal use. Digging around in the carpet, I did find a small piece of black hard plastic that could be part of an original button, but difficult to tell.

I've never seen the deep buttons as picture #1, although the Rd Enterprise parts list picture does show the deep button in the picture.

image.png.b4a53c773c261ee373d11a72d4550586.png

Unfortunately non of the other pictures for other heater types show the button. SJ only show the small button and screw in their catalogue

My conclusion is that earliest cars had no hole in the lever and probably had the deep button ( Pic #1). Very quickly though, they changed to the small button. I suspect My car had deep buttons, but a PO broke or lost them and found the small button a good press fit, hence what I've got.

That's my theory anyway ( as Monty Python once said)

Tony

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
22 hours ago, Tony D said:

Tony

This picture also appears in the parts list under Heater.

image.png.bb1d362eb29c70f17a10fb5272b55ad7.png

Note how the side ( feet) openings are controlled directly by a rod to the lever. On the A/c Units, the lever controls a small valve, which then drives the vacuum actuator. Which diagram does your system inside the car look like?

Tony

The flap which controls whether air goes to the screen or feet or a bit of both is controlled by a lever on both a/c and heat-only units Tony.

Thanks for the photo of your car Steve.  I assume your car has the Delanair system if it's a '75?  Still not clear to me when they changed to the Lotus-designed unit.

Pete

Tony D - I think your idea that the earliest cars had push-on buttons and later cars had screw-fixed buttons is a good one.  The push-on buttons are only held in place by a tiny detent in the lever and button - perhaps they came off too easily and an alternative was produced - the screw-fixed button?  The push-fit buttons also break really easily.  I'll keep researching with peoples help!

Thanks everyone.

Pete

Just to add something to chew over, I found a Swiss chewing gum wrapper behind the rear passenger seats (when I removed them) and next to it was a penny dated 1978. So a trip to Switzerland with the kids after 1978, was had.

16 minutes ago, EXCEL V8 said:

So what year is your car Tony B?  You definitely have the Delanair a/c system with push-on buttons, and the serial number looks quite early.

Pete

1976. Pete. 

Tony 

I'm looking at replacing my air trunking. Last time I looked you could get black concertina silicon hosing at 90mm which, I believe, is the correct diameter for the airbox. Silicon is OK as it is fireproof.

Cheers, Richard

On 11/05/2020 at 10:42, Angus553 said:

Hi Tony if you posted a pic of your rear bumper it would be better than any explanation i can give.  Thanks Angus

Angus found these washer jets in one of the many boxes.  Can the water reach the screen from down there.  

FECD988B-C70C-455A-9CD3-94A2FAA3E7A2.jpeg

Tony 

Picture is not easy to see in context. If this is front screen, it's wrong. Front used a flattened pipe type jet coming through the plenum grill. 

On the rear, there should be something similar to your photo, but it has 2 jets and is mounted centrally between the ramp (for the roller on the wiper arm) and the wiper spindle. 

Tony 

As above. A PO may have used this with other parts to achieve the same result. The copper pipe is v brittle and doesnt take much to break it if try to bend it.

Tony. Slight correction, The ramp is central and the double washer jet sits to the RHS. They are all on the "horizontal " body flat immediately under the window. I looked closely at one of your earlier photo's of the rear and could only see two things attached in this area,

200512.jpg.789c212ce27c8b5e6916b3c165df031f.jpg

Found it in parts book. Sorry my phone keeps rotating picture 

D241E089-26BD-4324-AF96-E43A25B7366B.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Tony D said:

Tony. Slight correction, The ramp is central and the double washer jet sits to the RHS. They are all on the "horizontal " body flat immediately under the window. I looked closely at one of your earlier photo's of the rear and could only see two things attached in this area,

200512.jpg.789c212ce27c8b5e6916b3c165df031f.jpg

Thanks Tony D. Yes I removed wiper splined shaft as it was not fitted correctly.  

Tony 

I made my own washer jets using some 3mm copper sheet and some brake pipe since mine were in a pretty poor state and I was not entirely convinced by the quality of the originals anyway. 

I thought, mistakenly, that I could find a route for more conventional washer jet's at the front but decided against it.

IMG_20200505_144908.jpg.414dcad7b17168863e8cf6bd982fb1ef.jpg

• Like 1

Starting to experiment on the copper pipe route this afternoon.  
I’m started moving the project forward for a change. 
Starting to look tidy in the engine bay , trial fitting of the dash , and the new door pins and bushes have been posted.  

If anyone who are trying to put there elite back to original spec , I have a screwdriver which I think is from the tools that came with the car from new. Yours for the asking.  

2DA94B64-EB78-479E-A19D-72A745CC9F04.jpeg

Tony