Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 9 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

1 hour ago, Doris the dog said:

If anyone who are trying to put there elite back to original spec , I have a screwdriver which I think is from the tools that came with the car from new. Yours for the asking

I'd be interested Tony. I think I can still buy the tool bag (or at least a fair replica) and I am trying for a visually accurate rebuild. 

Tony 

Another question.  Is there a preference for fitting the fuel filler tube with the breather attached.  And does it vent through the body ?

regards 

Tony B

P. S. Would anyone have a clue where I put my wooden gear knob after re-furbing it ? Was on kitchen windowsill for ages , then I thought I would put it somewhere safe.  So safe I cannot find it. 

Edited by Doris the dog
  • Haha 1

Tony 

You're asking the wrong person here. I've got 2 rear seats, 2 internal rear quarter panels and 2 door cards somewhere and I'm damned if I can find them :(. Fortunately they are from the donor car I acquired along the way, so it's not the end of the world.

• Like 1

I think it happens to everyone.... I’ve ended up with spare front seat frames, loads of switches for the interior light but missing a steering wheel and the roof mounted interior lights....

re the gearknob .... do you have kids.... that thing they were playing golf with in the garden might not be a ball....

You have three choices for tank breathing:  Use the vented caps - you may already have them;  fit the filler neck with the breather tube brazed on and fit an after-market breather/rollover valve and from there to the atmosphere outside the car;  or run a hose from the breather tube up through the box section behind the rear hatch hinges and down the other side and vent to the atmosphere outside the car.

Pete

• Like 2

Pete , stopped on the fillers , as the driver side rubber hose has lost its flexibility and is solid. The tank that’s in the car just has stub ends from tank about 40mm long. So hose is 90degree bend. The spare tank I have , has the tube ends bent from tank and joins to fillers with straight hose.  Might be easier to swap tanks , as guessing not easy to buy moulded hose 57mm dia. 

Tony 

Sounds like a good decision to me. With the replacement tank get some tank sealant to line the inside since it will be rusty if it hasn't got holes in already and the E10 fuels in use these days absorbs water which will speed up the rot.

• Like 1

The new door pins and bushes arrived today. 
No excuses now not to start assembling the doors.  
I have already fitted in the new bushes. 
Has anyone fitted them ? In the boxes of parts that came with car is a 11/16 th  reamer   Looks as if this may be correct size to ream  bushes. 
Can anyone confirm this please  

Tony 

Tony D has just done this without needing to ream the bushes - I'm sure he'll be along soon.  If you do need to ream them you'll need the correct size pilot for your adjustable reamer - reasonably easy to find.

Pete

I've just put new bushes in supplied by SJ. I'm reusing the original pins. SJ told me before they arrived (I'd seen posts about the Lotusbits service for reaming) they would not need reaming and sure enough, they didn't. There is the slightest amount of play in the pin, but it's nothing to concern me. 

Tony, I've been compiling a bit of a 'How to' procedure for building doors and what to adjust where. If you're about to build doors I'll try to get at least a summary in shape and post. 

Tony

Hi Tony D , there’s no rush, I’ve got several jobs on the go, bleed brakes , windscreen washers , rear tailgate washer, dash electrics and replace the rubber exhaust mounting rings that I purchased from Devon and fitted a few months back , they have already perished, haven’t even moved the car.

Tony 

Would this small hole in the filler cap make it a breathable cap ? 
Yet another question, I think having a second car as a donor is a bit confusing as parts are different, and I’ve no idea whether it’s newer or older.  
Thanks for everyone’s help.  

473CAB7E-59C8-490F-9098-ED30F0FD458A.jpeg

Tony 

Fuel fillers both in.  Just need to join rubber hose to main pipe in the chassis.  It was already connected but with hose not suitable for fuel.  
Has anyone found a source for the fasteners that attaches the tailgate catch and gas struts to the glass ? Mine not the best condition.  

Tony