Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brexit - Page 126 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

• Gold FFM

I absolutely agree with you here @100th_Idiot. There were political defendants even after WW2 of the nazi regime. This has only recently been criminalised in many ways. 

the social experiment is over by the looks of it. I for one will be expecting to see the rise of more countries wishing to have their own freedoms once more. Politicians and leaders come and go as part of democracy. But the EU project by its definition is about centralised control and snuffing out democracy as part of the conceived “greater good”

my point remains - we are in pivotal historic times - where it appears we have already forgotten the lessons of history 

Only here once

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an interesting couple of documentaries on at the moment of Ed Balls in euroland looking at the rise of right wing extremism in Europe.

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

How come Leo Varadkar has become the spokesperson for the EU, issuing threats to us. Surely has more to lose than most and might not even be in power for much longer

If the EU as a whole is thinking the same as him then j can see no deal back on the table

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gregs24 said:

Well the incessant whining to leave for the last 47 years never stopped from some quarters, so I wouldn't hold your breath !

I do believe you're exagerating but we're use to that :)

I think you'll find that the whining to leave really started when the common trading bloc decided it wanted to be so much more than just that. Indeed, we had around 12 years of whining before we joined, in particular from the French, who tried to do everything possible to keep us out!  Since we joined they often whined about us being in there as we actually brought a lot of balance and a modicum of common sense to the debate.

Whine away. It won't change anything for the next few years but if it makes you happy then hey, keep going...

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

You should be used to constant whining by now,you have the no 1 whiner

"I want another referendum for Scotland'"

19 minutes ago, pete said:

You should be used to constant whining by now,you have the no 1 whiner

"I want another referendum for Scotland'"

oh please, not on here too...

image.png.bc382318ae4a0d80268c4918a24a52c7.pngimage.jpeg.26af658105814c5f07a83e5510d12ed3.jpeg

• Haha 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Whine away. It won't change anything for the next few years but if it makes you happy then hey, keep going...

I wasn't aware that I was whining, merely expressing an opinion that people on both sides of the argument are capable of it.

Your position on the brexit debate is clear and I have no intention of telling you mine (if I even have one) as it adds nothing to the discussion. Enjoy your 'victory' which is sadly how many people from both sides view it - lets hope for your sake that you gain more than you lose, because you will surely experience both.

3 hours ago, pete said:

How come Leo Varadkar has become the spokesperson for the EU, issuing threats to us. Surely has more to lose than most and might not even be in power for much longer

If the EU as a whole is thinking the same as him then j can see no deal back on the table

I don't think his threatening words regarding fisheries were on behalf of the EU rather Eire. Sadly he was only responding to the equally puerile rhetoric coming out of our own PM. 

Fortunately the real negotiations are carried out by intelligent trained people you have mostly never heard of rather than the political gesturing from the figureheads. Varadkar is only playing to Irish voters in the same way Boris was with his hard line gesturing. Negotiations always require compromise, not threats, to be completed, which is what will happen.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Yeah yeah - of course they have the upper hand.

Germany are now in recession and they will need unrestricted access to our car and white goods buyers. Any reduction in their market sales and it’ll be an absolute nightmare for their balance sheet. On the plus side though - they will undoubtedly need to cough up even more money for the vanity EU project if they wish it to continue.

lets just sit at the sidelines and watch the impending implosion

Only here once

It should hard;y be news that the EU will try to get a deal that's best for them.  Likewise, the UK should try to get a deal that's best for the UK.  The Grauniad article reads like initial position setting for the EU.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

13 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Ireland and Varadkar in particular have been spouting off for a few months now. I actually think it is because they realise that if it does not go there way the Irish economy is totally fecked.

spot on. time we put them in their place

So Nissan have said that if the eu put tariffs on car exports they will shut their plants in france and spain and double down in the uk where they believe they can sell 1 in 5 of  cars in uk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pete said:

So Nissan have said that if the eu put tariffs on car exports they will shut their plants in france and spain and double down in the uk where they believe they can sell 1 in 5 of  cars in uk

Perfectly sensible solution. After all the German cars will be too expensive for us. The French and Spanish will be in a huff and not want to sell to us until we let them eat our fish so there will be no Renaults, Seats, Peugeot's etc - thank god lol....

Everyone will be driving around in Skyline GTR's built in Sunderland - wye aye man!  Super. Fantastic. Smashing. Job done lol!

In all seriousness, I have no doubt that all sorts of weird and wacky rumours will emerge. But hopefully we'll get some of  these over the line.

Just be positive. Think "can do" rather than "can't do". Think "we can make this work" rather than "I'm gonna scupper it" etc.

• Like 1

The small print.

If that's true then it really is pathetic.

As an aside been doing some work in Belfast. Came back to Scotland with an Ulster Bank 10pound note, Sterling 

Went in to shop in Perth and handed it over. What's that was the response. Can't take that.

I said look you're having a laugh aren't you it's a Raheem.

No, can't take it they said 

Absolutely went off on one explaining how ridiculous it was given the bloody whinging from Scots when they get a Scottish note scrutinised in England. Told them to just take it and stop being so pathetic.

Argh.....

The small print.

All the news about refusing the 50p brexit coin  is just inflated news to create division..   How many people even look at there change let alone inspect each coin..    The news media that still have the platform to promote their own agenda whilst wrapping it up in a news story , are deliberately aggravating the situation on brexit..    Brexit in the main in over, we are out.... No winners No losers , just a political direction brought about by a democratic referendum . This result was debated , ridiculed , undermined and questioned in every possible way, especially by the media , who's ranks did not like the result..  After nearly 4 years of debates countless one sided media interviews and panel shows against the result , a general election was held with the main mandate to uphold the referendum result..  The result of that was conclusive , the people spoke..  We were leaving the EU.  

The problem as i see it is, until the media start getting on board with this , they are going to create false news and ill feeling in the country by what ever means..  Controversy is infectious , almost self destructive, but to them news... !!!   It very much seems that interviewers and the likes of question time hosts within the media have got a dose of overrated self righteous  importance ..  This is particularly evident when you watch the interviews and how they manipulate the narrative giving antonyms responses to factual answers .    I am all for a good debate , but have no time for blinkered self opinionated twats. 

I fear this ill will is hear until the transition period is over..  The media will hound the public with controversy and false news in an attempt to undermine the trade negotiations.. This will be done by inflating a false dialog and encouraging public debate and division. Much the same as they did for the last 4 years.   And to what end..  The last thing they want is WTO , but carry on as they are and they are more likely to get it..    If they could just get behind the Government , public opinion would change , and with a  positive out look our negotiating position would be stronger for trade deals with the EU and rest of the world.  Win Win for all .. ..    

We need to weed out the quisling elements and stride forward to a positive future..          

• Like 2

On 04/02/2020 at 09:31, CHANGES said:

All the news about refusing the 50p brexit coin  is just inflated news to create division..   How many people even look at there change let alone inspect each coin..    The news media that still have the platform to promote their own agenda whilst wrapping it up in a news story , are deliberately aggravating the situation on brexit..    Brexit in the main in over, we are out.... No winners No losers , just a political direction brought about by a democratic referendum . This result was debated , ridiculed , undermined and questioned in every possible way, especially by the media , who's ranks did not like the result..  After nearly 4 years of debates countless one sided media interviews and panel shows against the result , a general election was held with the main mandate to uphold the referendum result..  The result of that was conclusive , the people spoke..  We were leaving the EU.  

The problem as i see it is, until the media start getting on board with this , they are going to create false news and ill feeling in the country by what ever means..  Controversy is infectious , almost self destructive, but to them news... !!!   It very much seems that interviewers and the likes of question time hosts within the media have got a dose of overrated self righteous  importance ..  This is particularly evident when you watch the interviews and how they manipulate the narrative giving antonyms responses to factual answers .    I am all for a good debate , but have no time for blinkered self opinionated twats. 

I fear this ill will is hear until the transition period is over..  The media will hound the public with controversy and false news in an attempt to undermine the trade negotiations.. This will be done by inflating a false dialog and encouraging public debate and division. Much the same as they did for the last 4 years.   And to what end..  The last thing they want is WTO , but carry on as they are and they are more likely to get it..    If they could just get behind the Government , public opinion would change , and with a  positive out look our negotiating position would be stronger for trade deals with the EU and rest of the world.  Win Win for all .. ..    

We need to weed out the quisling elements and stride forward to a positive future..          

If you think the UK media media is bad for the rhetoric etc, just logon to SELOC and their threads on Brexit - they are full of self righteous, arrogant bile and hatred and bitterness and I just piss myself laughing reading it all. Every now or then I add a post and sit back and watch the flaming. I'm getting through so much popcorn watching it I can hardly get out of the chair these days!

• Haha 1

The small print.

4 minutes ago, tim_marra said:

I frequent seloc and yeah there is plenty of banter. I have discovered though that behind all the rhetoric there are many fine genuine people on there. Its a good place when you get to know it.

I don't think James posts are banter. But heh ho, each to their own.

The small print.