IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed.

When a sharp-suited salesman walks in and offers to lend you enough money for your new dream home, and tells you it'll all be fine and dandy, that's when people get taken in. They trusted the con-men who preyed on them, the salesmen made shedloads on mortgages which they knew would never be repaid, and it all went tits-up.

Which reminds me -  I've always had a repayment mortgage. When endowment mortgages arrived in a blaze of glory, many people took them up. I was wary, and when I went to the building society for a loan to rebuild my garage, the manager spent a whole hour trying to persuade me to change it to an endowment. I refused, and when the loan paperwork arrived, I noticed that along with the loan, my mortgage would be changed to endowment. I never signed the papers, and a year later went through the same process, with the same result. I then asked a friend who's wife worked in the same branch, she said the manager could get up to your first year's mortgage repayments in his pocket if he got you to switch. At that time that was a LOT of money, maybe £2,000, and that was a good few years ago. So, with commissions like that it's no wonder the salesmen were keen to promise you the world!

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
47 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Don't even get me started on people who bought a house 20 years ago cheap and then every 3 or 4 years remortgaged for an extra £20-£40k based on their house price going up so they could buy another new car

Hmmm how much are them evora 400 things again ??

Only here once

27 minutes ago, ian29gte said:

Indeed.

When a sharp-suited salesman walks in and offers to lend you enough money for your new dream home, and tells you it'll all be fine and dandy, that's when people get taken in. They trusted the con-men who preyed on them, the salesmen made shedloads on mortgages which they knew would never be repaid, and it all went tits-up.

There we go. It's all the fault of the salesman. Nothing at all to do with the oxygen thieving numb skull idiots who did not think to actually try to understand what it was they were buying at the time of signing. Or was it that they were more pre-occupied with the have it now, worry about it later, nature of the deal!  No, sorry. The responsibility is  not with the sharp suited salesman, it's with the idiots who had absolutely no idea what they were getting in to or how they were going to get out of it. Jam today, worry tomorrow, cry and blame a big man who did it and ran away in the future. That just about sums up my generation!

They weren't preyed on. They were like lambs who led themselves to the slaughter house and looked on as their brothers and sisters were turned into chops and kofta's. like Lemmings who walked to cliff, looked over and saw all the other dead Lemmings and so went "weeeeee" and willingly jumped to join them.

It's not always someone else's fault. Quite often, it is our own. We just do not like to admit it.

5 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Hmmm how much are them evora 400 things again ??

About 3 Esprit V8's but a shed load less to run each year!

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

I agree with you @C8RKH it seems easy to take the money and the whinge about the consequences. But I'm afraid like the payday lender lot - it's should not be allowed to happen. That's the issue with big business, greed and obsession with growth - they do prey on the dumb

Only here once

I have never really understood the reason the government singled out "mis-sold PPI" as being something that the suppliers must refund everyone for. 

If the government said that everything which was ever sold to people who didnt need it must be refunded all hell would break loose! 

59 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

I agree with you @C8RKH it seems easy to take the money and the whinge about the consequences. But I'm afraid like the payday lender lot - it's should not be allowed to happen. That's the issue with big business, greed and obsession with growth - they do prey on the dumb

We cull badgers. Deer. Boar. Why not the dumb numb stoopid people too? Problem solved. 

• Like 2

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

No, that's just legalised thuggery!

The small print.

I do believe there's a difference between people being preyed upon and them actively seeking to have things that they cannot afford. As for PPI, I've turned down more than one loan in the past because it had been automatically added to the monthly charge, although with the amount of compo flying around these days, I sometimes wish I'd just paid up! But the  two practices are very closely related in my view.

Margate Exotics.

Agree. PPI, warranties, "extra cover" etc. I always turn down. The one that really pisses me off is GAP insurance. It's scandalous how Insurance Cos get away with this. In fact, most of the issues thrown at the "banks" is actually insurance related and has an insurance company behind it!

The small print.

Don't get me started about gap insurance. I leased a new car in April, bought gap insurance, and a month ago got a letter saying the company had gone tits-up, tough shit, I wasn't covered any more. In true style, I forgot about it for a week or so, but just before I was about to take out more cover, a letter arrived saying another insurance company was underwriting the policies. Had I bought more cover, I guess I would have been out of pocket.

Thing is, there's more and more people leasing cars these days, and the insurers should have an addendum to the policy to cover any gap, rather than the purchaser having to go hunting around for deals. Twats.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

But with this it's a phenomenon that's generated by the insurers themselves.

you buy a new car, drive it 100yards and it gets written off, the insurance company payout the car value less 5grand as it's used..........

spot the bloody crook ??

• Like 2

Only here once

41 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Got yah - up bleeding heart left wing liberal :rofl:

Lol - I hate taxes but not as much as those scumbag private enforcers. Sorry, even I have a red line.

The small print.

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

No, that's just legalised thuggery!

That's fine until one of these people demolish your car, their insurers (of they are insured) find out and then refuse to pay out! - just saying

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, march said:

That's fine until one of these people demolish your car, their insurers (of they are insured) find out and then refuse to pay out! - just saying

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying you should NOT pay your car tax, or any other tax. I am merely pointing out that i do not like the private enforcers (clampers). On the other hand, i do not like the private cheaters (Accountants) who help people avoid paying tax either. Think I'm fairly balanced there.

The system should be better in that people should be given a reminder, a very short period to pay, BEFORE, they then get thugged!  As for tax avoiders and accountants, well, we used to hang people for less.......

I also do not like the loophole that allows the insurance to wriggle out of paying if no car tax. i mean, FFS, the two things are not linked and not paying the car tax does not increase the insurers risk.  As for Gap insurance and the way the insurers get away with NOT paying out for a like for like replacement, well, the Government really should get off its bum and start to protect its citizens from these sharks.

It's funny, Bankers have the bad name, but actually it is usually an insurance company / insurance offshoot of the bank that is really behind the majority of the scams and schemes....

The small print.

4 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

The system should be better in that people should be given a reminder,

I thought people were given reminders. The DVLA also offer an email service but that needs to be signed up to.From the Gov website, it's called a V11 (looks like a 'last chance' letter as well):

Tax your vehicle

Tax your car, motorcycle or other vehicle using a reference number from:

• a recent reminder (V11) or ‘last chance’ warning letter from DVLA
  • your vehicle log book (V5C) - it must be in your name
  • the green ‘new keeper’s details’ slip (V5C/2) from a log book if you’ve just bought it

In the example Barry gave, our dearly beloved DVLA did not update the owners address details when they HAD been informed they had moved across all their systems. So the V11 was not sent.  Ah, the V11, I'd be up the shit creek myself without that little form hitting me 6 times a year and reminding me to tax a car.

The small print.

I am not saying I particularly like the new system - far prefer the old paper disc system, and I certainly don't trust the capabilities of the civil service. Being a bit cynical if you read the statement it does not say she had informed the DVLA, just her family. Out of interest I wonder how out of date her Tax was. The Law applies to everyone (I know some will debate this point) and needs to be applied evenhandedly to be fair.

By the way I have been on the wrong side of the law for this and was caught. Had no Tax in the very dim and distant past in my yoof (apparently beer mats don't count - who would have guessed!) and that was fair enough - parking a car on the road with no tax whilst using another one that has been given to me.

Is anybody else getting frustrated / wound up by the constant wittering/chattering/bitching/moaning and threatening posturing from Sturgeon and the SNP re Brexit? I mean, last I looked Holyrood and Scotland was part of the UK, not THE UK and certainly not speaking on the international stage for the UK. I fear that the "encouragement" she is getting from the EU is just a part of their strategy to undermine the democratic process in the UK and stall Brexit. Any views?

It's a far cry from her "pledge" around the Indyref to bring a different, less confrontational and less fear based style to politics. if anything i think her approach is now even  more fear based and confrontational.

Also, an interesting point here for those south of the border. Sturgeon and the SNP have made it very clear that they value their access to the EU common market more than any other market.  However, they "export" 4 times more to the rUK than Europe. Given this stance and the rhetoric and the threats - if Scotland did get a "special deal" with the EU would you be more, or less likely, to support Scotland by continuing to buy her goods as opposed to those from elsewhere?

• Like 1

The small print.