Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Air Conditioning? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Air Conditioning?

Hi,

Next topic: air conditioning.

My car is fitted with a brand new electrical air conditioning system. The shop I bought the car from fitted it, as they felt there was too little space to install a pulley compressor.

But this system is rather weak. And this being Singapore, after 20 minutes of driving, I'm drenched. And passengers become easily irritable :)

Have some of you been able to fit a modern system with good results? Vintage Air? I saw a reference to "CBS" but not familiar with the name...

I haven't seen too many posts along A/C. There's one from 2011, but the approach seemed different.

Thanks! 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original aircon is very efficient when it is working.  The evaporator in the cabin is huge for the size of the car.  If you look for a thread entitled Delanair rebuild/modification I'm part way through it myself - I'll be doing a bit more shortly as I now have most of the bits back from being re-plated.

Pete

Hi Pete - it's a 1979 Eclat. Does it qualify for this delanair set-up? 

And if yes; is it still possible to source the whole system?

Meanwhile, i'll go through your earlier post with great interest :)

Thank you!

Bernard

Edited by BernardSG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I can't seem to find the model/reference of the compressor originally fitted to the cars with AC. It's not listed on sjssportscar.

Would some of you know? It would help me determine which compressor I could try to source. ..

Thanks a lot!

Bernard

2 hours ago, BernardSG said:

Hi Everyone,

I can't seem to find the model/reference of the compressor originally fitted to the cars with AC. It's not listed on sjssportscar.

Would some of you know? It would help me determine which compressor I could try to source. ..

Thanks a lot!

Bernard

You mentioned Vintage Air, I know Jay Leno fits these to all of his classic cars and highly recommends them. 

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

On 12/04/2020 at 08:01, BernardSG said:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks a lot!

Bernard

I'd be very surprised if the compressor were other than the ubiquitous Sanden SD508, as fitted to the Esprit of the same era. I've made quite a study of the subject as it's one major aspect of the total restoration underway on my S2 Esprit. By all accounts the Lotus built AC is of high capacity, out-performing nearly all non-American systems of the period. I researched the Vintage Air offerings extensively in order to inform my own process, ultimately choosing to switch evaporator, blower fan and condensor to more contemporary designs. For the compressor it has been reported in the Esprit community that the smaller Sanden, the SD7-B10, works well and that is what I shall try.

Peter must surely be correct in that the cars were fitted with Lotus specific kit by '79. Regarding fitment beware of the space limitations under dash, It's very likely Lotus left little room beyond what's needed for the OEM kit, therefore any non-standard alternative might be a difficult adaptation. 

Not an Elite, I know, but on a late Excel the compressor appears to be a Sanden SD508 with twin grove pulley and take-offs at the rear (You can get side take-offs and multiple pulley arrangements).

The early Elites used the GM/Harrison A6 compressor - same unit is used on lots of Jags of the same period.  Again not sure when this changed to the Aluminium-bodied Sanden unit.  The Harrison unit is a good compressor and it's easy to buy reconditioned ones but they weigh an awful lot!!

Pete

Thank you very much Steve, Tony, Peter. I'll look at both Sanden options, and will also check the GM/Harrison, though I think given the choice I'll choose a new Sanden.

Added challenge: my car has been fitted with a big alternator, in order to deal with the load of the electric compressor...probably gonna have to change this as well to make some space...

Not a lot I can do in the current situation anywyay, but just want to know what to order when things get better :)

Stay away from the original GM unit. I took mine off and haven't as yet replaced it but then I live in a climate that really doesn't get all that hot so not really needed. It also took 8 hp to run which in the federal version was too much to loose.

Lotus said it was and extra 135 lbs (whole system )  so different front springs were required to offset the added weight. And it uses Freon 12 which is no longer manufactured. R-134a replaced that so get a modern one for sure. An aluminum housed sound better for sure. Probably many from newer cars will do the job.

atb,

Richard

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, 

I'm still considering if I can fit a regular sanden compressor in the car, but struggle to understand how to fit it in the engine bay.

Would one of you have pictures of the air con compressor and the belt setup? 

I haven't been very successful with my searches on Google... 

Thank you! 

Bernard 

To fit the Sanden unit unit you need the mounting plate that bolts to the block.  That sounds straight forward but there are several variations depending on other stuff fitted to the front of the engine.  The plates vary according to which crankshaft seal housing is fitted to the engine and which timing belt tensioner is fitted.  To fit the later 912-type plate (that mounts the Sanden unit) you need the later type seal housing and timing belt tensioner.  You also need the appropriate crank pulley.  There is also a small bracket that fits at the rear of the compressor.  Even though the compressor pulley has grooves for twin belts only one is used.  You also need to consider which alternator is fitted, and where - you may need to change the oil pump housing to suit the alternator position.  If you Google "Lotus 912 engine" and look at the images you will come across several pictures.  Did your car have aircon originally or just a heater?  Is it just the electric compressor that has been added - maybe the original bracket is still on the engine?

Pete

Thanks! You're right, good images on Google. 

Looks like my alternator currently sits where the compressor is supposed to go!

The car originally had just a heater. No aircon, so no bracket. 

And then to work with the electric compressor, a larger alternator has been fitted, so that would possibly have to be changed as well. 

Mmm... Not feeling overly confident with this.. I'll send the engine pic to my mechanic to see if he feels inspired :)

Thanks again