Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Run time - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Run time

If I want to start my car once a week what would be the minimum sort of time to run it for.

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Really useful article. Thanks for bringing to attention again.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

A bit of automotive wisdom I have heard over the years is that too many short runs, i.e. less than ten minutes or so, can be damaging to the engine. I don't know if it is simply folklore but it makes some sense so I will pass it on.

Because he piston rings are never a 100% effective seal, some products of combustion will get past the rings and into the engine oil. A small amount of water will go into emulsion and it can react with CO to produce small amounts of acidic compound. Over time it can accumulate in the oil. However, if the engine is allowed to get fully warm it will allow the water, and I assume the CO, to gain enough heat energy to gasify out of the oil and escape. Longer run times allow this to happen and alleviate the build-up of unwanted compounds in the sump.

My undergraduate chemistry courses were close to half a century ago so I won't claim great expertise to verify this. But, as I said, it seems to make sense. If I haven't used one of my cars for a while I will make a point of getting it out for a 10 or 15 mile run to make sure it is fully up temperature for a while. I know that is impractical if the car is off the road but I suggest letting it run for at least ten minutes every few weeks.    

Mike

'97 V8

'73 Europa TC

'10 Elise SC

10 hours ago, calvan said:

A bit of automotive wisdom I have heard over the years is that too many short runs, i.e. less than ten minutes or so, can be damaging to the engine. I don't know if it is simply folklore but it makes some sense so I will pass it on.

I had heard this too but largely to do with short commute runs, i.e. people firing up the car to take the kids the 1/2 mile to school, or a short 2 to 3 mile commute to work/the shops.  My understanding was that basically the engine never really gets up to proper full operating temperature and this can cause issues with a build up inside of the engine of contaminants due to an inefficient burn. Also, it can cause the catalytic converters and in diesel engine cars, the particulate filters, to get "clogged" as they rely on, or need, some sustained very high temperatures to really work and clear out the crap. That's why it is recommended you ensure that cars used in this way are taken out and given a good hard run, as it helps to clear the crap out of the engine and exhaust systems.  Maybe it was just an old wives tale, but I've always believed a good run to clear out the crap is essential and touch wood, I've not had issues with any of my cars as a result.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Personally, I don’t run the engine at all unless it can be guaranteed that the oil will get hot enough to rid itself of condensation and the nasties of combustion that would ordinarily evaporate when the engine oil reaches its normal operating temperature. I just make sure the battery is charged every week. If the oil is ‘old’ and I know the car will not be driven for some time, I do an oil/filter change before storing it.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

If a car ain’t running right, it ain’t running right. Something needs attention. I’ve tried an Italian tune up with many cars, including Italian ones. Sometimes your brain tells you things are improving, but experience shows this is not the case. In reality you are just making things worse.

I don’t think people realise how long it can take all of the oils to reach operating temperature. My Ferrari has a gearbox oil temperature gauge: it takes about 25 minutes of driving to reach “normal”. So that could be 30 miles of driving.

2 hours ago, Bibs said:

Thanks. Something else I was ignorant of.  Interesting stuff :)

The small print.

• 2 weeks later...