Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Great driving roads in Northern Spain - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Great driving roads in Northern Spain

I've just booked to take the Exige a week in Northern Spain in October. Taking the ferry down to Santander and then planning to drive around the San Sebastian, Rioja and Galicia regoions.

Any recommendations for good fun driving roads in this region?

Also, has anyone taken an Exige on the Portsmouth - Santander ferry before, and if so, was ground clearance an issue?

I took my Elise there some years ago via Santander. Absolutely no problem with it, but you might want to ask the official to assist boarding if necessary. The ramp was pretty flat when I boarded.

Please drive the roads around Picos National Park. Stunning! I was out all day on them. Enjoy.

• Like 1

I went about 15 years ago in my Subaru Sti and I hadn’t told the tracker company so if you have one courtesy to let them know it’s going out country 

no issues with clearance with the ramps onto and off the ship just can be a rough crossing in October ?

i drove from Santander to Lourdes lovely drive through Pyrenees and I had travelled around Basque area before , best beaches and food in Spain in my opinion? 

• Like 1

We did a family road trip (E-Type, Elan DHC and Renault 5 Turbo 2) a few years ago from Santander to a base at Llanes, where we watched a rally. We then carried on up and over the Picos to Leon. It was June and it snowed! We finished with the dead end road to Fuente De cable car. Got some old 35mm photos somewhere, if you’re interested.

• Like 1

Agree about the roads around the Picos. Billiard table smooth tarmac and lovely winding roads through magnificent scenery. What’s not to like? 

We were in my old Elise SC and went down via the  Portsmouth-Santander ferry with absolutely no problems getting on or off. 
Just typing this makes me want to do it again!

27DB60A9-834B-411B-81D1-9368DFCC89DB.jpeg

• Like 1

I did a very similar trip last year with some mates and their other fast cars. We all had an incredible time.  The roads where smooth and twisty and sooooo much fun.  The views were gorgeous.  The food and the wine was delicious!   I think our favourite day was in the Picos so another recommendation from me.  

Also the locals appear to love Lotus’s too! My little Evora NA got the most attention by a long way, that was in company with an M2, Boxster, AMG GT-R and Macca 540.

A5BD32C8-48FD-4D02-9FCD-C8CB5C026E61.jpeg

Edited by electro_boy
  • Like 2

Our little orange Elise was so popular with the locals, it was an unwitting cause of a rear ender accident.

I was waiting to turn left out of a T junction and there was a stream of cars from the right. The occupants of one particular car were so intent on waving and smiling at us, the driver hadn’t noticed the car in front of him had stopped!🙈

I could see all this unfolding in front of us and they must momentarily have wondered why I was looking so horrified at them being so pleased to see the car. They found out why soon enough!

So be warned chaps, a brightly coloured Lotus might cause accidents in the Picos, even when it’s not moving. 😳😃

• Like 1

Thanks all for the responses and recommendations.  I'm looking forward to going even more now! :)

As for the weather, I think it's pot luck at that time of the year.  I was in A Coruña for work in October a couple of years ago, and it was 25º and sunny every day with the see like a millpond,  so fingers crossed...

My car is Orange too, so I'll try my best not to cause any accidents! 😲