Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Noise levels for commuting - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Noise levels for commuting

Derbyjim

Exige S2 owner here getting more and more tempted to change for a V6.

I use ear buds for my commute of approx an hour, so for those that do, what are the noise levels like on general motorway driving in the respective S/350/380/410 models?

Do you use ear plugs? Do you find it a comfortable noise? 

Would also be interested in whether you feel the soft/hard top makes a difference or not?

P.S. I know they aren’t the commuter’s choice of car but I do like to actually use my cars rather than simply save them for weekends when I often have other commitments like pesky kids and household chores etc.

I too have tinnitus in one of my ears, which is reason for my question.

Doesn't stop me enjoying the cars but was trying to gauge the noise levels, something you don’t quite get / take in on a test drive until you live with the car.

I don't use mine for commuting, but I too suffer from tinnitus. I found that the car was too quiet with the exhaust valve closed when cruising so fixed it to permanently open!

9 hours ago, RoflOnMyWaffle said:

I should've been clearer - I got it from the Exige 🤣🤣

Likewise. One of the reasons I sold my V6 and got the Evora. 

• Like 1

Having come from an S2 and owned a couple of V6S, with an without carpet, and then a V6 Cup, in my opinion the V6 platform is an order of magnitude more refined in terms of cabin noise than an S2. 

I can't imagine at cruising speed in 6th gear, a newer V6 with the fruitier exhaust is much worse.

410s and 430s are fine at cruising speed when the valve is shut. More refined than my V6S was. If was doing a motorway commute, it wouldn’t bother me at all. 

Its the manual stop start around town that does my head in when in traffic. That’s the reason I personally wouldn’t want to use mine as a daily. But I know many have. 

^^ that’s what I find. No issue cruising with the 430 valves open or shut but for some reason the 350 pitch ended up hurting my ears after any reasonable time spent in the car 

Thanks for your replies guys and interesting that there’s a high number of ear problems but possibly selective due to the choice of subject heading.

I too found the newer cars I.e. V6 onwards to be a lot more refined than the S2 cars and the noise is phenomenal but I do want a level of getting in the car and doing my commute without having to get earplugs - and obvious risk anymore damage to my ears too!

Almost 99% will make the move into one soon, just need to find the right one for me. Okay, who am I kidding, it’s 100% but for now I’ll enjoy the hunt.

I've got a 410 and had the exhaust switch fitted. On the motorway I keep it closed and for some fun/around town its nice to have it open. I too have tinnitus and dont find the 410 overly loud or bothersome with the valve closed, though it very loud with it open. 

I also think with any convertible car, you'll get a lot of wind noise at speed, the Exige is no different.

• 5 weeks later...

I’ve had tinnitus (+ hyperacusis) for 9 years and owned an exige 350s V6 for 1 year, even with the exhaust valve open there’s no way that car (the level of db within the cockpit) causes tinnitus or worsens it 

• 2 weeks later...

With my 350 i find it easier on the ears to drive with the valve open in traffic or just cruising at low to mid range RPM, with the valve shut the car drones way too much and doesn't sound good at all IMO.

Edited by JackandCoke
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback so far, especially those suffering with various degrees of tinnitus etc

Interesting observation from Cuprapw regarding the noise levels inside the cab, thank you. My own ears certainly do ‘ring a little’ after extended drives in the S2 so if it’s any easier than that, I can live with that.