Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Norfolk Newbee With Norfolk'n Clue - Introductions - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Norfolk Newbee With Norfolk'n Clue

simonf

Hello everybody,

I am simon from Norwich, Norfolk :) . I have just purchase a 1984 S3 Turbo in Essex blue with Gold BBS wheels and a Grey half leather interior (very 80's) :( and although my initial impression of the car was OH NO WHAT HAVE I DONE!!! :crybaby: because i thought i would be ok to drive her home from Cardiff (what was i thinking?) :) and had a couple of breakdowns!! :crybaby: (very much like BBC Top Gear and their Supercar for less then

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Simon.

I live in Wymondham (even closer to Hethel) and my old man was Colin Chapmans right hand man, so I would guess your dad knows my dad as well.

Check out our special Sept 23rd section in events for what we are doing. We have a hotel held over just for us.

Nice to see another Esprit in Norfolk. We have several active members in the area: Andy, Owen, Nifty etc.

Oh and welcome. :)

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Hi Simon,

Another local lad, could this mean we have enough to start having a regular Esprit meet? How close am I to Lotus Hethel? I live in Lakenham, Norwich? I know it's only a quick blast to Mulbarton and then I there. :)

Did you have your car Wednesday? You could have come down to Snetterton and given me some support against all the Elise and Exiges :) It was a good evening all round.

Like Kimbers and yourself, I've had some connection with Lotus all my life, from the age of 11 as a school boy fan or when in later life I got to work on some of their projects through third party companies, cars and F1.

I'll be at the 40th, just like I was at the 50th (eyes filling up! :) memories flooding back!). Never met any racing drivers, but I have walked past the legendary Stirling Moss at Silverstone once, didn't he driver for lotus? I think he did.....

If you're up for being a DVD start then let me know, I'm compilling material at the moment for a Lotus DVD (yes another one! :))

You won't miss my car, it's the bright yellow one, but there may be more about as I seen them! B) Don't know who, as they havent replied to my spotted post.

Welcome aboard Simon! :)

Owen

If either of you see a dark Blue Honda Accord GT flashing you, it's me! :) or a biker giving you the thumbs up....also me :) ....or a downtrodden husbandy type with Mrs and 2 kids in a Kia...also me :)

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Welcome Simon .great car you have there ,i have got to say it must have been brilliant growing up living close to the factory .Futher Lotus heritage to add to the forum.Any stories of Colin Chapman are greatfully appreciated on here!On youtube Colin Chapman is shown flying over the factory at Hethel in a news clip from the 70's.Sorry i can't put a link as i'm a computer numpty :) You may already be aware of KImbers?Look out for his antidotes(anytime from midnight on,after a beer or two)Makes for good reading :):) Mike

Welcome Simon, hope you enjoy it here, hope to meet you at the factory party

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Congratulations Simon, you broke Lisa Lotuses record for the most Emoticons used in a post! :):)

Always a pleasure to welcome a fellow Giugiaro Esprit enthusiast! :)

1975_happyface.jpg

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Hi Simon.

I live in Wymondham (even closer to Hethel) and my old man was Colin Chapmans right hand man, so I would guess your dad knows my dad as well.

Check out our special Sept 23rd section in events for what we are doing. We have a hotel held over just for us.

Nice to see another Esprit in Norfolk. We have several active members in the area: Andy, Owen, Nifty etc.

Oh and welcome. :huh:

Hi Kimbers

My Dad does indeed know your dad!

In fact apparently he did some work for him on one of the lodges (what ever that meens?) He seems to remember that your father left to work for Jaguar for a short while and then returned to Lotus is that correct?

Also don't know if you or your dad knew that Tim Enright passed away a few months back? Unfortunately My dad had lost contact with Tim many many years back and i only found out by chance through one of my clients. Sadly he died very down on his luck. But in typical Enright fashion, not to be outdone his final resting place was on the loo!

Anyway ask your father if he remebers Andrew Freebrey? Ask him if he remembers the "Colins Electric Garage Doors Synario" or even better the Lear Jet Stowage Solution!!!! They are two of my fathers funniest stories.

Must meet up soon

Simon

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Hi Simon,

Another local lad, could this mean we have enough to start having a regular Esprit meet? How close am I to Lotus Hethel? I live in Lakenham, Norwich? I know it's only a quick blast to Mulbarton and then I there. :huh:

Did you have your car Wednesday? You could have come down to Snetterton and given me some support against all the Elise and Exiges :lol: It was a good evening all round.

Like Kimbers and yourself, I've had some connection with Lotus all my life, from the age of 11 as a school boy fan or when in later life I got to work on some of their projects through third party companies, cars and F1.

I'll be at the 40th, just like I was at the 50th (eyes filling up! :cry: memories flooding back!). Never met any racing drivers, but I have walked past the legendary Stirling Moss at Silverstone once, didn't he driver for lotus? I think he did.....

If you're up for being a DVD start then let me know, I'm compilling material at the moment for a Lotus DVD (yes another one! :lol:)

You won't miss my car, it's the bright yellow one, but there may be more about as I seen them! B) Don't know who, as they havent replied to my spotted post.

Welcome aboard Simon! :D

Owen

A Lakenham boy eh! Thats was my old stomping ground until eight months ago! I used to live on Doman Road (1st Left of City Road-by the old dairy) i am now in Thorpe St Andrew so only a mile and a half further away from hethel than you! Kimbers obviously the closest. If i camped in the factory carpark would that count?

Anyway if you are from Lakenham i bet you had seen my Elise T288MNE very distiguishable by the Elise Motor Sport sticker on the windscreen! I used her everyday and was usually at warp factor nine as it was my first proper performance car!

I have nt seen your car yet, probably because the weather has been so bad but i am always on the look out. If i see you you i will give you a :huh: to let you know its me!

Andy Clements is keen to meet up for a run at some point although it would appear he is have brake technicalities at the moment. It would appear that were are the only three at the moment although i did spot a Stevens N/A i think in silver driving around Norwich on the evening of the Lords Mayors Prosession. (Come on chap get in touch!) and my mate spotted another Essex Blue in town early July.

Stay in touch

Simon

Edited by simonf

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Simon, you'll probably enjoy and appreciate this thread :huh:

Cheers for the link-very funny stories and my anecdotes may be pale by comparison but i will post them anyway!

Whereabouts on the forum did the link take me?

Simon

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Hi Simon, great to have you in 'the' forum. :huh:

You car looks very sleek - and there is also a post with some 80's music to fill it with too. B)

My dad is also an architect, and he never saw eye-to eye with engineers (I am an engineer by the way...) - very different sides of the brain used, he would say. I do hope we hear more stories of those beginning years. :yes

Iain

Edited by iainskea

Simon

The Lodge was changed to Kennedy House and we bought it and lived in it for 14 years before moving when dad moved to Malaysia. So your dad prob worked on our old house.

I knew Tim had died and yes my dad was in touch with him, as he is with many of the "old crew". RIP Tim.

Those Anecdotes are all quite old now but many stories I have I am holding on to right now, because they will go in the old mans book (when we get time to start it!).

I'll ask dad about your dad tomorrow when he comes round....or ask him yourself on my birthday (see the post in events).

Welcome to the forum, Simon. I've already read and enjoyed your garage door story.

Nice to see you've completed the circle by buying a Lotus or 2.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

It would appear that were are the only three at the moment although i did spot a Stevens N/A i think in silver driving around Norwich on the evening of the Lords Mayors Prosession. (Come on chap get in touch!) and my mate spotted another Essex Blue in town early July.

Stay in touch

Simon

Hi Simon,

I too am a Norwich boy and that is where my car resides. I was actually driving round town just before the Lord Mayors Procession was to start. Got stuck coming off the roundabout heading towards St Stevens street and ended up having to do a U-Turn in Chapelfields underground car park. Was a bit of a nightmare :thumbup:

I lived and work in Glasgow at the moment so don't get home to use my car too often though I will be back in mid August (To take the car to Long Strattons for MOT and work). Also gonna be at Kimbers party so if you are there, I will say hello to you all.

My car is the Azure Blue GT3 with the number plate C11ATS.

Regards

Chats (Adam)

Adam

1999 Lotus Esprit GT3

1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1 1600 though will be an 1800Ti upon completion (Currently in bits all over the garage and has been since 2004)

Hello Adam

You could always lend me your car whilst in Glasgow! I 'll make sure i blow the cobwebs off!! Yes it was definately you as i remeber the number plate now you mention it! Don't know why i thought it was silver though? In fairness it was about 7.30 ish and the sun was in my eyes etc.etc. you were on Koblensk Avenue by the train station at the spot! Your car looks like a beaut!!!

Hopefully see you out and about- as with owen i will give you a :thumbup: if i see you! If not i will see you at either Kimbers Party or at any of the do's planned for the near furture.

Stay in touch

Simon

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

• 1 year later...

Sorry to hear belatedly that Tim Enright had died back in 2007.

I worked as Training & Personnel Manager in 1972 and my assistant was Jeff Nunn (also involved in Security). Barry Carter was Marketing Director, Mike Head of Powertrain, Tim PA to Colin, Richard Morley Purchasing Director and little Fred Bushell Finance Director.

It was a fun time and my wife and I remember the Elan Ball with some affection!

Best regards to you All

Bob Collins

Hi Bob,

Always nice to hear from one of the old crew! Did you ever have any dealings with my father Andrew Freebrey? I have probably already mentioned that he was Colins Achitect and you may have heard about the leer jet story?

I also ran into Manning Buckle (finance director of the GP team) and he has many, many, many fond memories of the glory days!!

Bob it would be great if we could get you along to one of the AEG (anglian esprit group) to hear you stories!

Simon

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!