Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
clutch cable solution ?? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

clutch cable solution ??

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Tony,the fittings are the standard for our cars,one is already on your clutch pedal connecting it to the cable,i had another in my parts bin,the cog i used fit so well onto the pulley pin i thought it might be a fluke so tried another off my grandkids old bike and the fit was exactly the same,hope this helps,Phil

Thanks for your comment Paul,i put a little grease on the pin and chain before fitting and once adjusted at gearbox end for the last 3 weeks or so it does seem smooth and lighter to use when going through the gears,i know its early days yet and i do carry a spare cable and pulley in the boot just incase,only time will tell mate

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi all,Just a quick update on the clutch cable set up.Done around 2500-3000 miles over last 6 month mainly stop start town centre stuff with the occasional country lane blast,anyhow checked the cable last weekend (using the cheap Bedford cf jobbie) cable and cog showed no sign of wear ie snapped or frayed strands at both ends,so fingers crossed it will be fine for at least another 6 months,if anything happens inbetween i will let you know.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi Phil,

Nice condition Elite and picture. I've been following this clutch improvement thread with interest and plan to do this on my Eclat.

Did you need to cut the clutch cable to shorten it or does it work with the standard length cable

If the cable was shortened can you tell me how you connected the cut end to the clevis yoke, at the start of the chain. 

Was the wire looped around the clevis pin or is the 3rd photo down taken in the footwell showing this connection?

Sorry to ask so many questions.  Many thanks in advance.

G

Hi Graham,thanks for your coments,looking i back started from the clutch lever (bell housing)fit the cable on the lever then threaded other end through the bulk head and checked how much of the cable had come through,as long as the cable end wouldnt reach the pulley when clutch pedal was pressed down fully its all good,replaced old pulley with cog using original fitting cut a length of chain to suit,drilled each yoke and fixed to chain with a small nut and bolt then fitted as you would a normal clutch cable,sounds long winded mate but its no more awkward than fitting a normal cable,this set up will only work with a bedford cf cable because the elite/eclat cable is designed to go around the pulley and fix to the pedal,hope this helps graham

• 1 month later...