Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Residue on head gasket - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Residue on head gasket

GavinT

Evaluating my engine. It’s a replacement engine. Not had it running and is currently stripped down.

After removing the head and examining the head gasket there is clear evidence of of grey/whitish paste around the water ports. It’s also present around the base the of the liners and is gritty. Haven’t pulled the water pump yet but looking in the ports there doesn’t seem to be any evidence of it there. When I drained the oil and dropped the sump there was no sign of any coolant contamination.

Any ideas what it could be?

7411D43D-F9A3-4091-834E-2F9AECB06B69.jpeg

68439DEC-D98C-4DFD-9FE0-27659132F0EC.jpeg

0FA0CA6E-FE5D-45F5-A903-2ACFF0BCFBA6.jpeg

C2E06E18-7BAC-493F-B313-FC3F5CCB5EF5.jpeg

087B801E-9A1A-4F87-B3F5-24D830FEA58A.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Speaking with the previous owner of the engine, who resealed the liners with Loctite 527, he feels it could be residue from the Loctite. Saying he was very liberal with the application and the excess was rather difficult to clean up after the liners were seated.
??

Think you may have answered your own question.   I'm not familiar with the water quality of the Black Hills of South Dakota, but could another possibility be Limescale from using 'faucet' water?  

• Like 1

Thank you Gents. Appreciate the replies.

Barry, well spotted. Thoughts on what could have caused those marks? I’ll check the top of the liners and the bottom of the head for any tell tell signs of something going on, also going to measure the nip.

Is spraying the gasket with copper a good idea? Not seen anyone else do this.

• Like 1