Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The restoration of S1 234G - Page 8 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The restoration of S1 234G

Brilliant work Paul well done, you have been putting it off but just shows once motivated you nailed it! 👍🏻

I may have to reconsider my repair now and go for the mould option rather than the repair panel.

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Thats a hell of a lot of work Paul. All credit to you for taking it on. :respect:. The 'slot' near the filler cap looks like the  gap for the 'ears' that were fitted on the S2 onwards to (as you thought) to get some air into the engine bay. So perhaps some previous owner decided to 'improve' things!!

1 hour ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Wow it’s flying along now Paul, at this rate you will have it painted in weeks!

The bulkhead panels look pretty good.

Dave :) 

Don't hold your breath will you Dave - I have a kitchen to fit at my Son's house so I suspect the car will be taking a back seat very shortly!

49 minutes ago, williamtherebel said:

Thats a hell of a lot of work Paul. All credit to you for taking it on. :respect:. The 'slot' near the filler cap looks like the  gap for the 'ears' that were fitted on the S2 onwards to (as you thought) to get some air into the engine bay. So perhaps some previous owner decided to 'improve' things!!

Yes it has the 4 fixing holes for an S2 type 'ear' and I'm guessing the beautifully crafted hole at the bottom of this picture was to allow a pipe from the vertical slot into the engine bay even with the engine cover fitted...

100-1927.jpg

So that's another hole I have to fill and you can see the area above it has split so that will also need repairing whilst I'm in there. Somebody has done a lousy repair in that area already (which you can't see in the photo above) so I've also got to remove that and do it properly 🙄

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

5 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Nice job. Finish the repairs, prep and paint in primer and then decide what to do.

Yes I need to prime it so that it looks uniform and anybody who buys it will hopefully have a better idea of exactly what they're getting. If I sell it I won't go any further than etch primer though because I suspect it will end up white :(

Great work @Paul Coleman but don't forget to add in the current cost of all those parts you already had stored to get the true picture of the cost of this restoration so far, and the materials of course.

I think the car would look great in white... :D

At least you went to school @Paul Coleman

I've no idea what those jack nuts are for, and couldn't quite get a handle on the orientation of the body shell on your new Delia Smith rotisserie.

Edited by Fridge

27 minutes ago, Fridge said:

At least you went to school @Paul Coleman

I've no idea what those jack nuts are for, and couldn't quite get a handle on the orientation of the body shell on your new Delia Smith rotisserie.

I spent very little time at school but I got all A grades, A=Absent.

The first and second pictures show the same area. If you look bottom left on the second picture you can see the big hole which is also shown in the first picture.

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Fridge said:

Good job you "dried fit" those sills! Were they originals or aftermarket ones?

They're SJ aftermarket ones and a bitch to fit :)

• Like 1

On 16/09/2021 at 19:54, Paul Coleman said:

Those two surfaces need to be touching and the sill needs to be tight against the body but you can't get behind it to push the two together. If you need to do this job... give it to somebody else!!

And how did you manage to get them tight? I have the SJ sills lying beside me and planning to fit them in the near future...🙄