Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1995 S4 Tyre recommendations? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1995 S4 Tyre recommendations?

Hi all,

I'm about to replace the ageing tyres on my Lotus Esprit S4 and am looking for ideas.

My tyres are 215/40/17 Front and 245/45/17 Rear and the last MOT tester said to replace them as they are like plastic and starting to bulge in places.

I won't be doing trackdays or sliding around, and tyre wear won't be an issue as I only do around 1000 miles a year.

At the end of last year I was looking at Toyo Proxes but I'd have needed Sport on the rear and TR1 on the front as they don't do the exact sizes, so I didn't do it.
Then having looked again today I see that I can get Goodyear Eagle F1 at a sensible price, and in the correct sizes.

Can anyone give guidance on what tyres I should be looking at for a good cost / performance ratio?

1994 Lotus Esprit S4  &  2016 Tesla Model S P90D

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a bit more research and reading the EVO tyre test from 2019 these seem the tyres to go for:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Continental PremiumContact 6
Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5

I think the Dunlops would suit my needs best, and although the car is light I think I'll go reinforced as that's what Dunlop recommends for performance cars as they have less sidewall deflection during cornering.

Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 2
215/40 R17 Y (87)
Car Tyre - Reinforced

Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 2
245/45 R17 Y (99)
Car Tyre - Reinforced

If anyone has a discount code for Blackcircles give me a shout before tomorrow please! 😀

The Goodyear and the Michelin generally score higher in the tyre tests than the Dunlop. I regularly drive a car with the Michelins and find them good in both wet and dry. I haven't tried the '5' version of the Goodyear but have been happy with earlier versions of the Eagle F1.

I've ordered the Goodyear as they look like a better tyre and are slightly cheaper. I was leaning toward the Dunlop due to its superior hydroplaning and wet weather grip, but realistically if I'm out in wet weather I'll just take it steady and enjoy the the better dry weather performance of the Goodyear 👍

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Hornsey Boy said:

Hi @markw996 how are finding the Goodyear tyres as I need some fresh rubber on my S4 and these Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 on my shortlist 

Well I've only covered about 100 miles with them and that was mostly in wet weather. The wet weather grip seems fine. My old tyres would spin the back up sometimes coming off roundabouts (but they were really old) but these new ones just grip in the wet which gives me confidence that the front won't let go in the same way. As I said, I don't really push hard so I'm very happy with my choice 👍

• 6 months later...

Old thread I know, I was looking this stuff up for V8 sizes which are becoming rarer now.

Uniroyal Rain sport do the S4 sizes now, which are dwindling as I type but I have used their Rain expert variant and while it wallows it grips and the ride was smooth. If the Sport is the same compound but with a stiffer sidewall it would be perfect, especially in the wet where your hard tyres will fail you the most.