Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Does the x180 NA have a Ballast resistor? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Does the x180 NA have a Ballast resistor?

Hi,

Does a 1990 x180 have a ballast resistor? I've been told by a coil manufacturer that it does. The coil measures 1.2 Ohms, so you'd think it would have a ballast resistor. However, i've done a voltage test across the positive to negative coil terminals and the positive terminal to earth with the negative terminal disconnected and the voltage remains the same so it looks like there isn't one installed. I've then spoken to a Lotus garage and they say there isn't one on the x180 but they currently can't double check. Someone else has said they think it's in the coil?

Thanks

James

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the wiring diagrams, the coil always gets 12V from the ignition, so no ballast needed. So as long as you get a coil rated for 12V, you should be fine (older ones are often only rated at 9V or 7V continously but get 12V from the starter while starting, bypassing the ballast, as you probably know).

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.