Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Condensor in ignition amplifier - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Condensor in ignition amplifier

hspeck

I recently acquired a 1985 XJS V12, and was doing some reading about the car and browsing some forums..

The V12 also uses the Lucas system, and hence have a similar ignition amplifier

I was reading about how to check the car when it doesn't start (just reading .. in case), and came across this paragraph regarding the condensor..

"Whilst inside that Amp, look in one corner, and you will see a Condensor, a small round tin can looking item, held in place with a small Phillips screw, and a single wire coming out of one end. Remove that screw, unplug the wire from the Module, throw the condensor away. They were a “noise suppressor” and they regularly leak to earth, and since they are connected to a +ve terminal of the Module, do reek havoc with the spark and Ignition system in general. There will be NO new noises in the car due to this item being gone."

i had some issue previously with my Esprit's ignition amplifier, and had replaced the amp and the condensor. But never have I come across anything like the above statement ..

this was from someone who previously worked in jaguar australia, and had only owned jaguars since 1968, so i think he knows what he is talking about..

so.. anyone knows if the statement holds any truth? and has anyone removed their condensor from the ignition amplifier?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

Isn't that the same as the condenser that you would find on a distributor of a car? They were always there for noise suppression. I remember an old car that I had. My dad and I removed it and the radio sounded like the engine. :D

Didn't matter as there was no radio where I lived at the time.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Ah. Ok. I picked up on the noise suppressor comment.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I'm really not sure... It seems to work similarly to our ignition amplifier, and even looks the same.. 

That's why i was curious what the effect will be if i was to remove it

I've not heard of "My AB14 blew up/ burnt out due to capacitor having failed", so I'd say it's probably not going to hurt to try it without the capacitor. It's not to do with speed limiting, since that's a separate unit, so maybe just try it. 

I wonder what he means to "reek havoc to the spark and ignition system".. I assume he meant when the condensor is faulty.. 

I may just try to remove it and see if it makes a difference.. But i am more interested to know if it was faulty, and causing ignition issues, will simply removing it solve the problem... 

This is how the parts looks like, which is similar to ours

Screenshot_20210824_204807_com.huawei.browser.jpg

Screenshot_20210824_204813_com.huawei.browser.jpg