Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
EGR Removal - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

EGR Removal

A little new here so I apologize if I missed it in my searches but I am trying to find some information on removing the EGR on the new Esprit I bought.

Mainly I found a few diagrams for the EGR but I want to be sure I understand correctly so I can remove everything and handle any lines I need to. My car was imported to Canada originally then brought in the US and I am working on removing things that I don't need in the engine bay.

It has a Johan PCM in it already and my understanding is I can remove everything EGR with any PCM setup he does.

I see the tube in the back on the drivers side but I am not 100% sure on where everything else is... and I have had the car for just a few days and have had to start correcting things with it so I figured this was a good time to get unneeded things out of my way.

Thank you

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

On the European cars you can remove all the Egr and air injection. They don’t have the ecu fault code. The USA cars do so if you take it all off you may get a check engine light. You say yours should be ok with Johan’s map? 

I’m in the Uk. I removed my egr system and air injection and the smog pump. 
you need some blanking plates for the egr at the exhaust end and the plenum. I left the Egr valve in place but disconnected. I guess you could make a blanking plate up for it and remove it  

The air injection needs 2 blanking plugs I tapped the heads with an M12 tap I think and fitted blanking plugs. I did this with the engine in situ. Take precautions to avoid swarf falling into the exhaust manifold. 

I did this because all the Egr pipes were broken along with the smog pump hose.

turns out the car runs  better than before ??

• Like 2

So far I have not found everything but I have been focusing more on the Alternator I had to replace, the AC that doesn't work, Bad Vacuum lines and the shifter that feels horrible. (Also other things like CV Boots etc)

So it sounds like when I can locate everything, besides needing to make some block off plates this should not be to bad outside of the head points you mentioned to tap those with the engine in the car might be fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Guess I will chime in here. Being that I run a stand-alone ecu. I have done all this. 

Forr the EGR valve I had to make 2 blanking plugs and sandwiches them in there with some silicone otherwise I was getting a boost leak past the valve stem of the actually moving valve that’s viable. spacer.png

The egr port off the left exhaust manifold simply needs to be tapped and plugged  don’t remember exact but something like a 1/2” npt 

For the air pump system once removed you also just tap and plug as you might see in this pic  there’s the plug with Teflon tape

spacer.pngthen on the pass side head you have another air injection port that is a BSP thread  which I believe is 1/4” BSP  the plug I had to order online  

• Like 1

Hey Michael,

What are the two ports running to the front of the plenums?

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

So I'm working on this now along with other things.

I'm a little confused though so I'm trying to make a block of t plate for what I believe to be the air pump and the valve that controls it and is part of that throttle spacer. I can see it though still in the first picture v8GTmac1 posted.

My other point of confusion is there is what looks like some kind of coolant cross over with a vacuum diaphragm and I have no idea what it is, in trying to post a picture.

IMG_20211014_190019.jpg

IMG_20211014_190028.jpg

That pipe coming of the SAI valve goes to the right hand head to inject air into that as well. You need to tap and plug both heads.  

That’s the SAI valve your pointing to. The flexi black hose goes to the smog pump. From memory I think you just cap off the blue vacuum hose 

4D67A914-4A19-45E5-85B5-8B89CDE5E7D5.jpeg

The yellow arrows point to the blanking plugs I made. I just tapped out to M12 an d used a cap head Allen bolt with a copper washer. I think on the other side you can fit a bsp plug. I just modified the fitting on the end of the SAI pipe. (I had a spare which had been broken off the pipe). 

• Like 1

On 14/10/2021 at 00:39, mike_sekinger said:

Hey Michael,

What are the two ports running to the front of the plenums?

Mike S

Hi Mike.  

They are 2 nozzles for the water/meth injection places in the worst spot possible. 

This location never worked and would only cause a misfire with meth applied. Assuming uneven distribution of methonal due to not being atomized properly. 

The correct place would be before the throttle bodies. But always after the BOV so as to not spray residual meth out into the engine bay when the BOV opens or you could just convert these HKS ssqv to recirculate back to the air filter boxes. 

• Like 1

Well this isn't related to this, I'm just replacing/upgrading the radiator at the same time as a few other things so I have a few more questions.

First has anyone seen this connector next to the horns it doesn't look OEM.

Second does Lotus have an actual correct grommet for the spark plug wires going through the opening at the valve cover because they just siliconed mine in there...

Lastly thanks for the info on the meth spot I was looking at before the TB and wondered if you didn't do that because it was better, good to know.

IMG_20211015_141119.jpg

IMG_20211015_142958.jpg

On 16/10/2021 at 19:34, v8GTmac1 said:

Hi Mike.  

They are 2 nozzles for the water/meth injection places in the worst spot possible. 

This location never worked and would only cause a misfire with meth applied. Assuming uneven distribution of methonal due to not being atomized properly.

Yeah, that would be a pretty pointless place for water/meth injection.

Upstream of the IAT would make sense.....

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

1 hour ago, mike_sekinger said:

Yeah, that would be a pretty pointless place for water/meth injection.

Upstream of the IAT would make sense.....

Yes you are right.  The further away from the throttle body the better for the atomization. 

I wasn’t thinking when I placed them on the intake plenum. So if someone wants to put them soon after the turbos but have BOV just know that methonal will be sprayed out every time. 

I feel these cars already have a bad reputation of burning to a crisp don’t want to add to it. Luckily the Hhqs can be converted to diverter valve. 

And to add, diverting to the air filter box may create a nice pop or flame when the meth is introduced on decel hehehe