Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
DIY Polyurethane Bushes - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

DIY Polyurethane Bushes

march

Has anyone made their own poly bushes? I need to make some for a project (GRP4 TR7 V8 Rally car) as I cannot buy the size I need. The plan is to turn the bush on a lathe using 90A shore polyurethane purely because it is readily available, possibly freeze the material?

Any advice on this topic from someone who has done this before would be greatly appreciated.

TR7 - 022 - ARB Mount v4.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm guessing it would be cheaper to modify an existing oversize bushing, but you can cast your own. There's a Grassroots motorsports (or Classic Motorsports?) magazine article on casting your own bushings that I can't find, but heres some bushing fab discussion;

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/how-to-make-your-own-delrin-an/140312/page1/

And of course YouTube;

• Like 1

Thanks for your response Thomas. I don't think that I will be going down the casting route but have bought a small length of polyurethane bar to try turning on the lathe. I have also found a possible solution with universal bushes from reputable suppliers (which will need modifying) so may go down that route.

When talking to Brian Angus @brian_gt4 about the LOTAC bushes, a lot of research was done into the properties of the material for each bush to make sure it was suitable for the application. I'm no expert but from that I assume that not all polyurethane is made the same. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

On 31/12/2021 at 10:03, Bibs said:

I'm no expert but from that I assume that not all polyurethane is made the same. 

This is a concern I have, I will probably end up by buying a universal top hat bush from someone like Powerflex and modifying, unfortunately I need to make 4 sets of 2 which won't be cheap. As Brian's message also stated durability may be an issue but as this is for the track / Rally scene ultimately the bushes although working hard only have to last one event (although hopefully a lot more). If all goes well these will be tested later this year.

Thanks again for the comments - all useful stuff.