Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine swap - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine swap

Jfor

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Mx5 engine and box into an excel; probably

into an esprit; no the gearbox is entirely wrong

i put an mr2 engine into an elan 5 years ago,  engine swaps are not easy or a cheap way to do things, that said, it came in cheaper than a replacement twincam lotus engine !

Having seen on the TV recently putting a Tesla motor into a Delorean, it seems that the same would surely fit into an Esprit. I'd be keen to hear about anyone trying this on a decent Esprit body where their engine and gearbox was broken. They would need to get the speakers inside to recreate the wonderful noise of course!

I started a topic on an dead esprit for this kind of conversion, but be prepared to throw at least 30 k at this project… it is not a cheap alternative, you could get yourself an interior, engine and box and do some paintwork and get that sad esprit back and running for less

How about a Zetec-e 2.0 liter engine from the 00-04 US Ford Focus/Mazda Protege? 

Many turbocharger kits and two (have to be used) supercharger kits available for that engine—one (Jackson Racing) non-inter/after cooled and another (PowerWorks/Cosworth Engineering) inter/aftercooled. 

I only mention these after seeing a pic a ways back of an Esprit with a Zetec engine, although the car was not in the US so no idea if the engine was the 1.8 or 2.0l. 

1986 Esprit HCI (Bosch-injected)

• 1 year later...

With modern software and a nice sound system blaring through a faux “exhaust pipe”, you could make an electric Esprit sound like anything from Luke Skywalker’s Landspeeder to a TIE fighter 🤣🤪

1986 Esprit HCI (Bosch-injected)

And it would be just as fake...

Apart from the merits of an electric sports car, I don't see the point in taking away the soul of a classic car by doing an electrical conversion. What are you left with? Handling will be different (because of weight and distribution), driving will be nothing like the original (no doubt faster, but not engaging), fake sound, no rewarding start up procedure and getting into flow as the engine warms up, ...

And what about the dash? All those lovely gauges that make a car like an Esprit feel all the more special will be useless. So just plunk in an Ipad and run some simulation of an actual dash?

If it's just for the exterior looks, the result would probably be much better if you were to put a lookalike bodyshell on some electric skate.

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

12 hours ago, greentengu said:

With modern software and a nice sound system blaring through a faux “exhaust pipe”, you could make an electric Esprit sound like anything from Luke Skywalker’s Landspeeder to a TIE fighter 🤣🤪

Not for me I'm afraid!