Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Elise S3 DRL - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

With the ignition switched on, only one DRL lights up. When the sidelights are switched on, both lights come on (with the correct lowered brightness). Has anyone got any idea what the fault could be? I cant find a wiring diagram for this model, so any help would be appreciated please?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

@Cooperman103 here are the wiring diagrams for the MY12 Elise that I have if that's any help. It could be a wiring issue between fuse C8 on sheet A4 and the DRLs on sheet D1 maybe?

2012 DRL circuit diagram.PNG

2012 DRL circuit diagram #2.PNG

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

image.png.9db97d94b90c8d44f75911ca24efff36.png

Thanks very much Mark, I definitely couldn't have done it without the diagram!

I've now found that both L&R DRL lights are illuminated OK when the engine is running, but only L when the ignition is on. This means its getting a good supply from the EMS, but not the C8 fuse. It can only be a disconnection, or poor connection from pin 5 on the lights multi-plug to the fuse. I'll post on here what I find. Thanks again.

• Like 1

This fault has proved to be the headlight unit itself. I'm guessing there's a printed circuit board within the light assembly that has gone faulty. As its fairly easy to open the light unit using a hot air gun to warm up the glue to get inside it, I'm now looking for a replacement PCB for the L/H headlight. If anyone has a smashed headlight unit or just the PCB out of one I would like to get in touch with you.

• 3 months later...

OK, So the DRL I thought was faulty, was actually OK, Its the one on the other side that comes on with the ignition that is faulty, as they SHOULD only illuminate when the engine is running. (The headlight unit receives a ground signal from the ECU on pin 6 of the connector, which activates the electronics in the light unit. ) I took the risk, to carefully split open the faulty light unit with a hot air gun, to see if I could find the fault. I immediately found that someone has been in there before and bodged it! (See attached picture) So if anyone has a good PCB from an Elise series 3 headlight for sale please contact me. (Photo also attached). 

IMG_2798 (002).jpg

IMG_2931.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi, I have a similar issue and cannot find any info what so ever.  This is the only S3 thread I have found.

I wondered if you still had the wiring diagram or any other info that could help me before I try to fix my issue... and did you eventually manage to resolve your issue?

Cheers

Edited by milesofsmiles

• 2 months later...
On 21/04/2022 at 22:34, EuropaSman said:

@Cooperman103 here are the wiring diagrams for the MY12 Elise that I have if that's any help. It could be a wiring issue between fuse C8 on sheet A4 and the DRLs on sheet D1 maybe?

2012 DRL circuit diagram.PNG

2012 DRL circuit diagram #2.PNG

For Mark S.

These diagrams have been really useful thanks.

I don't suppose you can put the whole document on here?  Or even just let me know the Lotus drawing number, I could probably source it myself?

This is mainly because I have one or two other electrical issues to resolve incl. instrument cluster lights. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

@Cooperman103 Rob beat me to it! If you want the full set of service notes for your Elise you can download them here once you have registered and subscribed.

https://vsic.lotuscars.com/

I subscribed for a day (£26) and downloaded the service notes for my Evora as well as my Elise. The minimum is £13 for an hour.

• Like 1

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

image.png.9db97d94b90c8d44f75911ca24efff36.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/02/2023 at 21:29, stevensr34 said:

The Lotus drawing you are after is MP.14k - this contains all the circuit diagrams - here's a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3k0zufa9rqqhc9/sn_mp14k_circuits_2017.5MY_Elise_All_Models.pdf?dl=0

Very much appreciated!  Thanks