Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
£1000 fine for not stopping - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

£1000 fine for not stopping

@ramjet, the UK law was changed recently so that cyclists are no longer expected to be riding ‘in the gutter’. They can now occupy the middle of the lane and should be treated as the same ‘size’ as other vehicles. ie when being overtaken, they should be given as much space as if they were a car. 

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Because @ramjet in the UK cyclists are now instructed and encouraged to ride in the centre of their lane as a "defensive riding" approach.

For some time now I only overtake a cyclist when I can cross the white dividing dotted line with at least half of my car (if they are to the left of their lane) or with my whole car across the dotted white line, whenever possible. I also now use dash cameras as to be honest I want to catch the little mother fookers doing something stoopid so that if it does result in a near miss or collision I have evidence of their careless or reckless riding.

I'm no hater of cyclists (I raced for 15 years and coached youths to national level in cycling) but I am sick and tired of the entitled, selfish and poor riding that SOME, not all, cyclists show.

As an example, came across 4 cycles this morning on a twisty narrow lane riding 2 abreast. I just patiently waited and when the road straightened they filtered into single line and I was able to overtake safely - the lead cyclist gave me a thimbs up and I flashed my hazards in thanks and waved. It can be done, but it takes both sides to be considerate. Sadly, many cyclists just take the piss (as do drivers).  I've also had cyclists wave me past on narrow lanes, and I whilst i apreciate the gesture if I cannot see past them around a corner, I just stay where I am behind them until I am ready and sure it is safe to pass. Even though I like to drive fast, there is no point in taking unecessary risks.

Last week after visiing the statue of Jim Clark In Fife I was zooming down a lane fast but saw in the distance 2 horses and riders coming the other way. We all know how loud the 4xx Evora's are so I saw a gate opening and slowed and pulled in. Waited no more than three minutes for the horses to pass and then went on my way (slowly pulling away). The genuine smiles of gratitude, and words of thanks, through my open window from the 2 ladies on the horses was worth the inconvenience. So if a grumpy old gnarly bastard like me can be thoughtful and courteous then there really is no excuse for a twatty lycra clad middle aged James Hunt to not think about their actions on a bike and be considerate too, but heaven forbid they actually slow down for anything or anyone else. Or heaven forbid that the rules of the highway should apply to them (one way, stop signs, red lights, give ways, don't overtake on the left, stop for people crossing at zebras etc).

As for the electric scooters, I'd cut the testicles off the riders and make them eat them. They're a bloody menace and a danger to everyone.

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Cyclists are a pain, not obeying normal rules like red lights, or keeping to speed limits - eg having held up a queue of motorist going up hill, they then have a speed pursuit downhill travelling over the speed limit.

The 'rules' we now have are based thus:

3. Cyclists’ Position on the Road

The 2022 Highway Code also sets guidance concerning cyclists’ position when riding on the road, one of the most misunderstood rules of this years’ update.

Riders can cycle in the centre of the road only on quiet roads, in slow-moving traffic and narrow roads. They shouldn’t cycle in the middle of the lane under any other circumstance, like on a fast-moving road (i.e. 60 mph roads), country roads or roads rich in bends and turns, as this may put themselves and other road users in danger.

cyclist-on-the-road.jpg

4. Overtaking a Cyclist when Driving a Vehicle

A controversial area in which a bit of clarity is due is what to do in the event of overtaking cyclists when driving a moving vehicle. Even concerning this area, this year’s Highway Code update comes in handy by stating that a driver may cross the double white line in the middle of the road to overtake cyclists or horse riders should they be travelling at less than 10 mph and when safe to do so. The update also defines the different distances you’re allowed as a driver to pass cyclists, horse riders and pedestrians (in the absence of pavement):

• 5ft (1.5 meters) when passing a cyclist going up to 30 mph
  • 6.5ft (2 meters) when passing a horse rider going under 10 mph
  • 6.5ft (2 meters) when passing pedestrians on the road in the absence of pavement
  • Love 1

However once things get to court then we get yet more inconsistencies.

1. A women pedestrian shouts and waves her arm at another woman who is riding a bike on the pavement (not allowed iirc). The cyclist wobbles, falls into the roand and his hit by an coming car. Jail sentence for the pedestrian for manslaughter!  WTF. What happened to "if the cyclist was not on the pavement then this would not have happened?". The cyclist should have at least bean held partially responsible due to her actions. (a bit like when you have an accident on a bicycle and no helmet, you are deemed to have contributed to your injuries by your action of no helmet".

2. A 14 year old is riding fast (at least 20mph by his own admission) on an escooter on the pavement and hits and kills a pedestrian. No jail sentence, but a deferred 12 month sentence. How is that justice?

And oh the irony (and inconsistency in our sentencing re the second case, related to the first, when the judge says this - District Judge Leo Pyle, who said: “This tragic incident was avoidable. Pavements are for pedestrians, and people in wheelchairs, or babies in prams. They are supposed to be free of vehicles of any type. This mode of transport should not be there.”

A bicycle is a vehicle so should not have been on the pavement in case 1.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

However once things get to court then we get yet more inconsistencies.

1. A women pedestrian shouts and waves her arm at another woman who is riding a bike on the pavement (not allowed iirc). The cyclist wobbles, falls into the roand and his hit by an coming car. Jail sentence for the pedestrian for manslaughter!  WTF. What happened to "if the cyclist was not on the pavement then this would not have happened?". The cyclist should have at least bean held partially responsible due to her actions. (a bit like when you have an accident on a bicycle and no helmet, you are deemed to have contributed to your injuries by your action of no helmet".

Actually there was a lot of poor quality reporting on that. It was a shared cycleway and pavement, so the cyclist was equally entitled to be there as the pedestrian. In some articles it was made clear of that but in many it wasn't and just made it appear as you indicate Andy. So understandable if you weren't aware.

Yup, sorry, my bad as I was not aware it was a shared route. Still seems excessive to jail one and not the other.

So when I am using a shared walk/cycle way does it mean that I should expect cyclists to give me 1.5m room? As to be honest they often to do pedestrians (overtake too close and too fast with no warning) that they continuously bitch and moan about vehicles doing to them!

The small print.

I live in the environs of Telford,  where our progressive and right on council have installed paved, dedicated and signposted cycle lanes, some 1m away from most of the main thoroughfares,  yet still all the MAMILS and d****heads insist on riding in the middle of the roads.  What more do they want?

I feel your pain @Redwing. I actually think the law needs to be changed to force cyclists to use cycle lanes where they have been provided.

At the same time of course, local authorities need to be held accountable to ensure that the cycle lanes they install are fit for purpose. We've all seen the photographs of some of the frankly shit jobs and waste of money schemes some local authorities have implemented. It's almost as though they were designed, signed off and installed by a committee consisting of entirely blind, deaf and dumb individuals. Case in point below:

Worst Cycle Lane: BrilliantWorst Cycle Lane: London cycle lanes at its bestWorst Cycle Lane: The smallest cycle path in Leeds-so far!

• Like 1

The small print.

I agree C8RKH not only should they be made to use the cycle lanes provided considering the amount of money the uk has spent on them while the actual roads are pot holed and falling apart ,but it should also be a mandatory requirement to wear a hiviz jacket and helmet , round me there are so many cyclists even the serious ones riding round dressed totally in black , then they wonder why cars don't see them.

• Like 2