Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Low mileage timing belt- why we change them - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Low mileage timing belt- why we change them

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Interesting, what caused it, it looks like something dropped onto the inside of the belt and was pushed out from the tooth side, is there damage to the pulleys?

Th other side of the belt had a hole as well. The outer/flat side appears more of a flat cut, the inner/tooth side more oval. I cut the belt and removed the foreign bodies. There were two pieces of what appeared to be black shiny material (so I was thinking flint), but having taken it out of the belt it seemed the shiny property was only present where it had been rubbed on a pulley/tensioner. On attempting to cut with a sharp knife I failed to get much more insight, so I went to a crushing force of a flat bladed screwdriver and was presented with a whiteish powdery substance that I would say is aluminium oxidation/ water scale, the sort you get on an ali water housing.

When doing the belt I didn't see any particular cam damage but given that material was relatively soft (the crushing force to break it wasn't a lot), I'm comfortable it would have not put visible deformation on the pulley faces.