Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 Federal Exhaust - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 Federal Exhaust

Hi All,

Another seemingly simple problem I can't seem to resolve on my Federal S2.  In this case, for the life of me I cannot determine how to attach the silencer to the rear of the car so it is safely secured.  I've got the Federal style Silencer Mounting Plate (installed on my gearbox) and the mounting rings.  The rings provide the support for the silencer but I cannot see how/where to attach them to the Silencer Mounting Plate.  I've seen photos of home market cars and the silencer doesn't appear to attach to the Euro version of the Silencer Mounting Plate.   I've thoroughly reviewed the Parts Manual and I do not seem to be missing any brackets, hangars, etc. to aid in the support of the silencer.  The rings have to attach to something otherwise they provide no purpose.  Can anyone shed some light on this ?  

Thanks,

Lou R     

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, Lou R said:

Hi All,

Another seemingly simple problem I can't seem to resolve on my Federal S2.  In this case, for the life of me I cannot determine how to attach the silencer to the rear of the car so it is safely secured.  I've got the Federal style Silencer Mounting Plate (installed on my gearbox) and the mounting rings.  The rings provide the support for the silencer but I cannot see how/where to attach them to the Silencer Mounting Plate.  I've seen photos of home market cars and the silencer doesn't appear to attach to the Euro version of the Silencer Mounting Plate.   I've thoroughly reviewed the Parts Manual and I do not seem to be missing any brackets, hangars, etc. to aid in the support of the silencer.  The rings have to attach to something otherwise they provide no purpose.  Can anyone shed some light on this ?  

Thanks,

Lou R     

Not sure how different it is from the S3, and maybe I'm missing what you're saying, but on my '83 the rings go around both the mounting plate and the silencer on each end.

IMG_3281.thumb.jpg.95fa5593c24c81613db96965e09cea8b.jpg

Edited by DrieStone

1997 Jeep XJ | 1983 Lotus Turbo Esprit

Thanks for the responses.  Seems odd that Lotus went with this mounting method - I'd be worried the rings would slip off the bracket.  Also, home market cars have the Silencer Mounting Channel (different from the Silencer Mounting Bracket which attaches to the rear of the gearbox) while Federal cars do not.  I couldn't tell from the provided photos if the rings were attached to the channel or the bracket.  Regardless, now I have an idea of what Lotus intended so I'll go out there today and have another look and see if I can make it work.  I guess I could always find another way to secure the silencer but I was just trying to stay as original as possible.

Thanks very much for your responses.

Lou R

Pretty sure I've finally figured this out.  Apparently I'm missing a Federal "Silencer Mounting Channel" that attaches to the Federal "Silencer Mounting Bracket (which is attached to the rear of the gearbox).  I think the similarity in names between these two parts was the problem (SJ's web site was also a bit confusing).  The Parts Manual wasn't much help in figuring this out either.  All I need to do now is locate the correct part.  Nothing on SJ's site for Federal cars and the incorrect home market Silencer Mounting Channel I purchased some time ago doesn't fit to the Federal Silencer Mounting Bracket currently installed on my car.  Can't use the home market bracket as it changes the height of the silencer which is tied into the different rear valences between home market and Federal cars.  I've got a question into Steve at SJ's to see if he can help out - fingers crossed.  Worse case I can drill another hole in my bracket so the home market channel will fit.  Also looking at how the S3's are set-up (based on DRIESTONE's photo) - might be  a solution there as well.

Thanks !

Lou R   

• Like 1

Here is the original federal S2 bracket

DA2DE220-8BDF-42F4-A659-E85F6691F666.thumb.jpeg.2d03fd77b4824dfc5896d9c00cbf3cb0.jpeg

The domestic S2 has a flat formed plate with a mounting channel bolted to it. ( I converted my car to Domestic spec where the silencer sits higher). 

EA584BF2-A90A-4DE9-907B-47F5B9E6E879.thumb.jpeg.f8f2a7f425bb4db2afc67b468c3305fe.jpeg

023329D3-AF20-4DEE-BAA5-16910A20365C.jpeg.4b7932354833a172205770ed6c244f5f.jpeg
Here is SJ’s Domestic plate and Chanel 

46BEB4FB-83EA-440D-B210-A052E7811445.jpeg.0a005f877841cdeb2ea293853b741b2c.jpeg

A09301CD-4CF7-4179-8E65-ACA2713CBBEF.jpeg.c2f518a64781bcc6feacf2057b496d73.jpeg
Here is SJ’s federal flat plate allowing the silencer to sit lower.

I’ll check but think I binned the original mounting plate but still have a couple federal exhaust systems.

2788FEBB-9F62-4839-8CB8-9E13D0607F93.thumb.jpeg.9d1e870828c6a4a4497789a6b56e340f.jpegHeres a photo from a federal S1 with the same bracket.

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Dave,

Thanks so much for your response and clarification.  The top and bottom photos tell the story !  The original Federal bracket is quite different than what SJ sells.  Needless to say if you can locate an original Federal S2 Silencer Mounting Bracket and are interested in selling it - I am a buyer !  As I noted earlier, the Federal bracket that SJ sells doesn't have proper hole spacing to attach the mounting channel - I can probably get around that by simply drilling a correctly spaced hole.  I have a friend down in Florida who has a JPS.  I initially went to him for photos on his set-up and the ones he sent looked remarkably like the one on your bottom photo.  Oddly, he told me his exhaust system was geri-rigged together and wasn't at all a factory set-up.  Looks like he may be wrong !  I sure hope you can locate  an original mounting bracket amongst your spares !

Thanks again for the clarification - at least now I know exactly what I need.

Lou R

• Like 1