Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Rear Damper won’t drop out. - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Rear Damper won’t drop out.

Go to solution Solved by drdoom,

This is the rear damper on the driver’s side near the exhaust. All bolts are removed, spring is compressed. 

Because the top damper mount shifted towards the rear of the car, it now prevents the damper from sliding out. 

I am preparing to try and cut the central bush sleeve. I figure that is replaceable should i end up keeping the dampers.

Anyone other ideas?

D357E59F-350C-409D-8046-6A6A5C37C900.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
55 minutes ago, drdoom said:

I'd attempt to insert a stout pry bar or flat screwdriver and work the damper away from the point of conflict.

With the exhaust removed is was easier to insert a long screw driver and with a little leverage the top mount moved back to its original position and damper slid right out.

Car still had original Armstrongs, 3 of them surprisingly decent, the fourth one near the exhaust has 0% dampening.

Time to hunt for replacements, I've read so many threads on the topic and still can't decide....

• Gold FFM

You can get them re-built I understand - and then you get to keep the original damping which everyone says is the best / how Lotus wanted it - so maybe worth researching this - perhaps one of the S1 gurus can help?

• Like 1