Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 Armstrong Shocks - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 Armstrong Shocks

Hi All,

I realize this topic has been addressed before but I wanted to re-inquire since it's been quite awhile.  Specifically, is anyone aware of any company/individual who can overhaul the original Armstrong shocks ?  I purchased a set of Spax quite some time ago and even though the car is not fully assembled, from what I already see, I'm expecting a much higher then acceptable ride height (especially the front).  Springs have been changed back to the originals and the problem persists.  I would hope the Armstrongs (in their refurbed state) would provide an acceptable ride height similar to when I first got this car many years ago.  If anyone knows of someone who can refurb these shocks I'd appreciate if you could pass their contact info along.

Thanks,

Lou R 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The ride height needs to be set with 2 passengers in the vehicle plus, I think, fluids etc. Leave the suspension loose then torque it all up when the vehicle is weighed down. That will dictate how high it rides. I have Protech replacements all round.

Pete

• Like 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Pete,

Thanks.  Did you replace the springs when you installed the Protech's or are the originals still in place ?  Also, are you happy with the Protech's ?  Was the ride height OK after they were installed or did they require some fiddling to get the ride height where you wanted ?

Thanks,

Lou R

I replaced the springs too with standard spec. Ride height is perfect. The damping rate is adjustable on the fronts but not the ride height, that has to be done as above. The rears are height adjustable but that is required to get the correct camber and need to be cranked up quite tight.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• 2 weeks later...

Armstrong shock repairs are problematic. I also own a MGB and when I enquired about replacements was told by my supplier who has both Reconditioned Armstrong and telescopic shocks about half the reconditioned are returned due to being faulty. Fitted telescopic which didnt affect ride height.  A conversion kit was supplied to fit the telescopic 

I consulted a company about a year ago about re-valving some Leda dampers and the company also says on their website that they restore telescopic Armstrong dampers.  I was impressed by the company and plan on using them for my dampers when I come to need them.  Their phone number is 01522 788362.  They are in Lincolnshire in England.

Pete

• Like 1