Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Gmail bounce backs - Technology & Gaming - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Gmail bounce backs

ChrisJ

Not a forum issue - but I thought that there was once a tech sub-forum, but here will have to do.

Getting a couple of bounce backs when sending to a gmail account - today, exchanged a couple of emails with one person today, and the 3rd bounced back with

SMTP error from remote server for TEXT command, host: gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com (108.177.119.27) reason:
550-5.7.26 This message does not pass authentication checks (SPF and DKIM both
550-5.7.26 do not pass). SPF check for [******.co.uk] does not pass with ip:
550-5.7.26 [nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn].To best protect our users from spam, the mess age
550-5.7.26 has been blocked. Please visit
550-5.7.26  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more

It seems that google have implemented some additional security checks since 22nd November last year - would explain the occasional bounce I've had in the past.

However, following the link above

Important: Starting November 2022, new senders who send email to Google Gmail accounts must set up either SPF or DKIM. Learn more. 

This is as clear as mud - and I thought that I was reasonably technically able.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You need to add the DKIM and SPF records into your email domain's DNS TXT Records. They bascially give your email server permission to send email on behalf of your domain. 

I've had a couple of clients have the same issue and it is a pretty recent thing. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Thought you would know,

Here's the location in my control panel where I can add with IONOS

image.png

No help whatsoever.

Also states

image.png

And in my list of DNS settings I only have these types - so obviously not.

image.png

Going to get onto IONOS

Strange - there's a new option since this morning. I wouldn't have started this thread if this option had been available.

image.png

Have chosen it, re-sent the email and it hasn't bounced, so maybe all is good.

Why on earth this has been implemented "silently"? and why on earth haven't ISPs (well at least mine) just fixed this . I am going to have a right moan at IONOS on Monday when my 24/7 available  "personal consultant" contacts me.

I have been having a "random" bounce to the administrator of the hockey club I am a member of. It was only because I had exchanged 2 emails successfully with someone today, and the 3rd once bounced that I looked further into it. 

That hopefully is the SPF record sorted. I'm not really any clearer re the DKIM thingumajig. Fuck me this is confusing, following the link in the email. (plus some other links) and if anyone can go to this page Turn on DKIM for your domain - Google Workspace Admin Help and can work out WTF I have to do, I'll buy their breakfast at our next Sunday meet*

* you must come in a Lotus

• Like 1

I have a section in cPanel (which I assume IONOS have a version of) called 'email deliverability' and in there I can find the suggested SPF and DKIM records for the domain to add into the DNS. 

Opera Snapshot_2023-02-25_220653_185.162.224.44.png

The record is 2048 characters so that's only a tiny portion of it! 

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.