Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Interior rear view mirror - who’s parts bin? - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Interior rear view mirror - who’s parts bin?

• Gold FFM

And so it goes on…..

received the replacement mirror and mounting bracket only to find that the little stalk with the ball on the end to which the mirror attaches is straight and not curved as the lotus original. Once fitted the mirror can’t be moved high enough to see out of the rear window! I have now fitted the original mirror and bracket back in the car and hope that SJ’s accept returns.

what a waste of time, nice one Steve!

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

What does your original mirror look like. My broken original and the replacement from SJ both look like the photo on SJ's web site. Is your original one different or does the one from SJ not match the photo?

A079U6044F.jpg?mod=86

• Gold FFM

The picture you posted is exactly the same as the mirror I received from SJ’s. The problem I have is circled in the picture below. I’ll get a picture of my original lotus one tomorrow.

E29114B4-5948-4AE5-928B-DCD01E3F2E20.jpeg

• Gold FFM

This is the original bracket and mirror as fitted to the car when I bought it. I can only assume that it is an original lotus item as it differs from the one supplied by SJ’s. The red arrow is pointing towards the curved stem that differs from the replacement.

72041CAD-40DF-4485-95F9-A9762094A550.jpeg

Just been and looked at mine.

Both are curved like your original, the one on the car I got from SJ about 3 years ago.

Bizarre. Wonder if they have run out of originals and had some made. Perhaps mine was old stock.

I've always found SJ good on returns, although that doesn't solve your problem.

• Gold FFM

Thanks for looking @NG5. I think the straight stalk is new stock. Steve has offered to refund me and I’ll just put up with the old mirror. Bit of a shame but not a lot else I can do, unless I can find a mirror from a scrapped vehicle.

there is someone offering used interior mirrors on Facebook Marketplace. Search Lotus Esprit. :) 

It's getting there......

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone with the same problem in future, I've just found out that the actual mirror but NOT the stalk is the same as a landrover defender 90/110. That's genuine landrover not copies.

Photo of the markings on my mirror

image.png.6c3ab79dce1bf9ded122e0125d695aea.png

And of a landrover defender

image.png.e3289b6584c00978d4812c3dea4d043e.png

As you can see they are identical.

Hope it helps someone.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

That’s a brilliant find @NG5. If anyone is suffering a bit of delaminating of the mirror glass then this is the way to go.

think I’ll get one as a “just in case”…