Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
No more turn indicators/warning - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

No more turn indicators/warning

Go to solution Solved by Exx,

Batt+ 30 doesn't mean it's 30V. 😉 In car wiring, '30' is used to indicate a permanent battery feed, '15' for an ignition switched feed, '15A' for the accessory feed, '50' for the starter signal, '54' for lights etc. Especially 30 and 15 are very useful to quickly determine when a feed is live.

Looking at the new diagram, the ignition feed goes directly to the flasher unit and not through the hazard switch. So it does seem to be the flasher module.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks

So if i want to test also the switch to check if it s ok too, i send 12v on PIN 2 and i measure PIN 6, i should have either 0 or 12v regarding position of the switch right ? Is there something else i can measure/test on others pins ?

Regarding the relay what can i test to be sure it s the relay and not a wiring issue ?

Yes, pin 6 should be 12V or 0V depending on the hazard switch position.

Not much else to check I fear, as both are electronic components. You need 12V on pins 2 and 5 of the flasher (with ignition on) and of course a good ground. Pin 4 should then give a flashing output, but I'm not sure how the electronics will react if there's no load (i.e. what frequency). You could disconnect the flasher and bridge pins 2 and 4 or 5 and 4 and should have indicators permanently on left or right, depending on the position of the stalk. If that's not the case, it must be wiring somewhere. Otherwise the only sure test I can think of is to swap it for a known working flasher module.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Just any piece of copper wire will do. Solid core of the right thickness is easiest to push into connectors. 😉

So PIN 6 on the switch is not 12v

When you press the switch button, you have quickly 2v on PIN 6 then 0

That should means that PIN 6 only send a signal to the relay to say the hazards have been pressed

It's not an on/off switch with permanent tension

Or it's broken ? :D

So it took me a lot of time to remove relay and test a bridge between 2 and 4 because of the space (and error in the color of wire 4) but when i did it, it worked as intended : permanent indicators from the column switch l/r and dash + 3 indicators were working.

So we can say it s only the relay with a 100% rate ? 😄

Edited by Exx

Yes, you have proven the flasher module is the problem, as it is not sending a feed to the indicator stalk.

You got there in the end, good on you!

1 hour ago, Escape said:

Yes, you have proven the flasher module is the problem, as it is not sending a feed to the indicator stalk.

You got there in the end, good on you!

Thanks for your help

Just a last thing, what do you think about the test of the switch i described before ?

The diagram show the connection between pins 2 and 6 as a simple switch. Strange that you only see 2V briefly. You could try measuring continuity between pins 2 and 6 with the switch disconnected. But as it's all electronic component, I wouldn't be surprised if the diagram isn't that accurate.

And I must confess I've never worked on an Exige, just using my generic knowledge about car elektrickery. 😉

So i tested continuity on the switch between 2 and 6 and it's OK only while the button is pressed

I think your suggestion was to test on the car with switch disconnected ? What would you want to see with this test ?

Continuity between 2 and 6 when pressed is consistent with the diagram. That should also mean if there is 12V on pin 2, there should be 12V on pin 6 as well. Depending on the type of connector, that might not be easy to measure.

Either way, it doesn't really matter, you have proven there is something wrong with the flasher module so will need to replace that in any case.

• Solution

Flasher relay changed and everything seems to work

Will do extended testing this week end

Hazard switch is ok, so it seems to just send a signal to the flasher relay when pressed and not 12v continuously

• Like 2