Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Gates Belts - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Gates Belts

lotuslover1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The blue Gates Racing Belts were specified by JAE so that is how they are marked.

No worries, they are 300X stronger if the Gates site is to be believed!!! 😁

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

looks like your diagram is correct

from the manual 

The aluminium alloy (LM25TF) cylinder block comprises two ‘open deck’ type cylinder banks angled at

90” to each other and mounted on a common crankcase. The RH bank is staggered ahead of the LH bank and contains cylinders 1,2,3,4 with cylinders 5,6,7,8 designated as the LH bank,.counting from the front in both cases. Cast iron, push fit ‘wet’, cylinder liners are spigotted into the block, seated on a flange near the bottom of the swept volume, and clamped down by the cylinder head. The crankcase extends some way below the crankshaft centreline, and is further stiffened by cross bolted spheroidal graphite cast iron main bearing caps and a cast alloy sump.

2 hours ago, lotuslover1 said:

thank you,very interesting facts about the belts,300x stronger wow

I took a survey a year or so ago...NO ONE has reported a broken blue Gates belt, 4 or 8 cyl.

I hope the shear on the teeth are stronger too...I know that the original  black belts can strip on the one cam wheel that is only contacted by a smaller arc of the belt.  Concentrate on getting the proper belt tension!

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Breaking a belt isn't the fear, it's the slippage due to not being the correct tension that is the concern.

The belt on my Elite's original 907 was way too tight and when I bought the car, the belt had rubber fillings all around the camshafts and below as it was so tight. It eventually slipped, because of excessive wear on the teeth, due to being way too tight and of course once it slipped a tooth or two, all the valves came into contact with the pistons and game over for the valves as they all bent.

Proper tension is the key to longevity and proper replacement when needed. This of course is the thing you need to be sure you have it installed correctly and one of if not the biggest concern with these engines.

Doesn't matter if it is 300% stronger if installed incorrectly.

Cheers,

Richard