Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Mounting hydraulic PAS pump on X180 car? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Mounting hydraulic PAS pump on X180 car?

Go to solution Solved by EXCEL V8,

Member of this Forum hspeck posted pictures proving S4 PAS could be retrofited on X180. Unfortunately, he has been MIA since 2018 and does not respond to any inquiries. 

Therefore, I want to start a discussion about details or possible solutions on the similar topic. In particular, I'm interested how to attach S4 PAS pump to the X180 block.  After removing the vacuum pump, I found out that standard S4/S4 pump bracket does not fit at all. Later blocks are different and have 4 bosses to accommodate OE bracket, PN# B910E2468K.

On X180 block, two forward attaching points are the same, but two rear bosses are missing. There is a short boss (yellow dot), approx. 100mm to the rear of the lower front attachment point, but it is rather doubtful it can be used for this purpose. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

J

BLOCK_ late 4 boss_S4 Block.jpg

IMG_9052.JPG

IMG_9124.JPG

IMG_9120.JPG

MrDangerUS

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can take photos of the later Excel pump bracket if it helps ('85 - '89) - I've currently got one on an engine (on a stand) and a spare just sitting around.  These are Hobourn PS pump brackets as used from '85 till '89 - before the Saginaw pump, which uses the four mounting points on the block, and a different tensioning assembly.

Pete

• Solution

Hi John

This is what the cast version of the power steering pump bracket looks like (Hobourn pump):

image.jpeg.f4aae9b3f8d2f97588775f1cb29ed660.jpeg

RIMG1106.JPG.7f41c1fe33d4e1fa57e9df35fcdfaae5.JPG

The previous version (same pump) was a fabricated part.

This is what it looks like on a 912 engine destined for an Excel:

RIMG1107.JPG.627cc683d68576209835b0b997ad7543.JPG

RIMG1108.JPG.a7072b901ff42ae24558fc5d94246ca6.JPG

RIMG1109.JPG.14400d62155c6a054a526489ad0141d8.JPG

The pump and its adjusting bracket fix via the M10 tapped holes on the front of the casting.  Notice that you have to have to correct water pump casting with the lower "pedestal" for the power steering pump casting to bolt to.  Sorry - I don't have a pump to photograph in-situ.

The older, fabricated bracket, still fastened to the main bearing panel/sump but mounted onto the lower fixing bolts of the water pump itself at the front.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I think I saw something similar in one of the boxes of parts I bought a while ago. I'll check tomorrow.

Would it fit Steering Pump Hobourn-Eaton FNF4-2-59 ?

Which has a higher output, HE6016 Pump C21765/2 or HE1359 ?

Steering Pump Hobourn-Eaton FNF4-2-59__.jpg

Steering Pump Hobourn-Eaton FNF4-2-59-__.jpg

Steering Pump Hobourn-Eaton FNF4-2-59-_.jpg

MrDangerUS

Sorry - don't know anything about the pumps themselves - I've built an all-electric column for my Elite resto and on the last Excel I had I ran an electro-hydraulic pump as I completely cooked the F-Body pump that was fitted to the LS1 engine I'd fitted in the car (on a track day).

Pete

This is a Hobourn pump and the bracket...

Don't go together well. In need a second attaching point and/or tension adjustment slot.

Perhaps an intermediate plate is needed, similar to idler/tensioner pulley I took off?

Wondering if anyone has a picture how it suppose to work.

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

MrDangerUS