Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
HVAC using battery and not mains - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

HVAC using battery and not mains

I have noticed that whilst the Eletre is plugged to the mains and even at 100%, it will use the battery to warm up the car, rather than pull directly from the charger.

I can't find a setting to adjust this behaviour, so hopefully that can changed in a future update.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Would that make much difference? If there is a load on the battery while it is connected to the charger, surely that will adjust accordingly and keep the battery topped up? It's no doubt easier to implement and possibly better to control the charging like that rather than have a direct feed from the charger. 

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Yes, it makes a difference and normally how most new cars now operate...ie: if connected to a charger, use part of that feed to warm the cabin. The power of course will come through the battery, but what's being taken out, normally gets pulled back in (or as close to as possible).

The battery on Eletre, currently, does not seem get topped up, it seems, whilst HVAC is running.  The charge port appears to be stopped and not calling charge from the mains to keep the battery topped up. 

For example a 10 min remote warm this morning (currently -8 here this morning in Shropshire) used 4% of the battery (or roughly a predicted 16 miles of range). It was only when that process stopped, did the charge port then request power again.

By comparison the Jaguar I-Pace I was in for 4 years, if connected to a charger, would also start calling in power from the mains, so the cabin was warmed whilst the battery remained as close to as much as it was taking out.

You're right, that doesn't seem correct. The charge should continue, especially if there is a load on the battery.

But that doesn't mean powering the HVAC directly from the mains, only making sure there is charge.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

9 minutes ago, Escape said:

But that doesn't mean powering the HVAC directly from the mains

Correct...and my opening post, reading back, was not making that clear. Apologies for confusing. My follow-up I think makes more sense.

• Like 1

No apologies needed, it's clear now, I've learned something and it definitely seems like a genuine problem with the charging protocol. 😉

• 1 month later...
On 02/12/2023 at 08:45, aquiss said:

Yes, it makes a difference and normally how most new cars now operate...ie: if connected to a charger, use part of that feed to warm the cabin. The power of course will come through the battery, but what's being taken out, normally gets pulled back in (or as close to as possible).

The battery on Eletre, currently, does not seem get topped up, it seems, whilst HVAC is running.  The charge port appears to be stopped and not calling charge from the mains to keep the battery topped up. 

For example a 10 min remote warm this morning (currently -8 here this morning in Shropshire) used 4% of the battery (or roughly a predicted 16 miles of range). It was only when that process stopped, did the charge port then request power again.

By comparison the Jaguar I-Pace I was in for 4 years, if connected to a charger, would also start calling in power from the mains, so the cabin was warmed whilst the battery remained as close to as much as it was taking out.

Over 4 kWh to warm the car for just 10 minutes? That's really excessive even if it was heating the battery as well.

Edited by FastLaneJB