Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Eletre Ownership - 2 weeks in...... - Page 2 - Eletre Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Eletre Ownership - 2 weeks in......

twentysix

Found this on YouTube testing the range and around this time of the year only in even colder conditions.

Oddly he says the claimed range is 535Km (335miles) but on the 22” rims is it not 486Km (304miles). All things considered I think the results are quite impressive.

Edited by Footie

Currently driving an i4M50

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It’s very hard to tell from their own information on the website

it quote 304-354 miles but is this with 20”, 22” or 23”?

IMG_9124.png

On 05/01/2024 at 22:17, Footie said:

Anyone got more of an update yet on range from normal driving?

I got 90 miles motorway and lost 48% battery. That was on tour mode so prob 200 miles on that basis.  I forgot to switch to range mode

It’s a big motor with considerable weight to haul about but I would have expected better from the latest tech. My i4M50 will get about 170 miles in similar conditions and it’s claimed range is only 226 miles.

I seems some are more efficient in the cold than others.

BTW what temperature do you all set your air-con at and what was the speed you were constantly travelling at. I never have my i4 more than 19 degree because I was told using the heated seat used less battery and once up to temperature 19 seems enough.

Didn’t have heated seats on. Don’t think we really had air con switched on either.  Average speed was around 70mph or maybe just over.   I assumed it was lack of any regeneration that caused the drop in miles

Was pretty impressed with the fast charger we stopped at for 25 mins though.  Stuck 25% back in the battery.  Think it was 150kw charger

• Like 1

You will have had air-con especially if it’s cold otherwise the windows would steam up, but next time in the car check the temperature it’s at and if higher than 19 knock it down to that and use the seat until the interior is warm, it was a trick told to me and seems to help range.

According to BMW and Porsche even if you don’t turn Regen ON when you brake most of the braking you are doing is by Regen but like you said at a constant speed Regen won’t happen. That said if you do have it turned ON and are using cruise control Porsche said turn it OFF because when OFF the car freewheels so is using less energy to maintain its speed.

Good to hear about the charging. 👍

On 03/01/2024 at 13:40, twentysix said:

So - finally took delivery of Eletre S in the run up to Christmas. Just thought I'd share a few thoughts on here, hopefully interacting with fellow owners and expanding knowledge of the car at the same time!

First up, I love the car. It looks class and it drives really well. Feels more sports car than SUV in my mind and that's right down to the slightly firm ride on UK streets, which I am used to anyway. The interior is lovely and so well finished. The KEF sound system, is indeed, amazing. Surround camera system is excellent and very accurate with a fantastic picture in the centre console. It is massive inside - I have three teenage girls who all say it is spacier and comfier than any previous SUV they've been in eg. Cayenne.

BUT - there are a few things absolutely melting my head with it!!

Firstly - The key card is the most over engineered piece of crap I have ever seen in my life. It's so easy to forget/lose. Mine came with 2 and NO FOB! This means that to open any door or the boot, I have touch the stupid card to the side pillar of the car. So annoying when you have shopping/ want to open passenger door only/boot. I have had to order fobs via the dealership, but to be honest, they should bin the stupid card and go back to a 'normal' clicker type key like all other vehicles!

Speed/Lane Alert - Honestly, if there isn't a software update soon to stop this being an issue, it'll be me close to leaving the thing back! Having to go into the menu EVERY time I get in the car and turn off the Lane Assist and Speed Warning system is a complete nightmare. I don't mind the visual alerts, but the incessant beeping if you forget to do so is a real issue. 

HUD - I don't know if this is specific to my own car itself, or if anyone else is having this issue, but the HUD panel is squeaking 24/7 when driving. So much so that I have had to leave back to dealer to look at it today. May just be bad luck on my part, but interested to hear if anyone else has issues. 

Radio/Multimedia - When I get into the car the radio will not automatically come on when I set off. Again I have to use the menu. In the same vain, the car will not turn off any multimedia, even when you get out. It waits until you've presented the dreaded key card to the pillar again!

Range - I have to agree with the recent Harrys Garage review. The range is nowhere near advertised. If you travel on motorway at speed limit, I am getting just over 200 miles at a push. Very disappointing. 

I am hopeful that the much promised updates - including Apple Car Play, which is ridiculous to not be on it already - help with a lot of the above issues. As I said, it is a lovely car and drives so well. My Taycan got a few updates in the garage over the years by Porsche, which improved its efficiency and miles range. Hopefully Lotus will do the same. 

OK

So I left it back to dealership. Good news is the awful buzz is fixed. Key fob is so much handier now. I bought extra one. £300 in case anyone wondering. 

Updated by a plug in update - dealer has no idea what it was for and I can't see any notable differences as yet?

Still no Apple CarPlay.

Things that I have noticed:

RANGE - I am starting on 100% in 4-5 degrees heat. Travel mainly 75-80mph, except for odd 10 mins of 60ish in traffic. Do 100 miles using 'Tour' mode and I have 54% remaining on battery roughly speaking. So the range is definitely around the 200 miles mark for driving on motorway at relatively good speed and no passengers in car. Pretty crap to be fair, even with all the caveats about regen around towns/country roads/ temperature etc etc.

THE WORST THING!! OK - The adaptive cruise control is HORRENDOUS!! I'm spoilt as coming from cars that have great ACC, but this thing sucks. It is nausea inducing and it badly needs sorted. So, you set the speed to say 70MPH. First, the problem is that the computer can't seem to maintain that. It constantly, and I mean constantly, speeds up to 71 and then brakes very gently to 70 again. And repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat............... It is so bad that I don't use it. Secondly, it is mental when coming upon traffic, no matter what distance you have set to allow between you and the car in front. I have been 200m behind a car in the slow lane travelling at 75 and it has braked suddenly to 60 or less!!

LED Lights - No idea what's going on here, but they aint sensing any traffic coming the other way, leading to lots of cross flashing from other drivers to alert me!

THE APP - Almost a month in and Lotus still can't match my car to me to the app. This is despite dealership phonecalls on repeat. Dealer has essentially said Lotus are out of their depth here and that the service is terrible. They basically have nothing set up for the possible success that this model (might) have given..... This is going to need sorted so quickly or they are goosed. 

Happy to answer any specific questions about the car. The potential is unreal, and all this is expected with early adoption, so I am prepared to put up with them if there are solutions in the pipeline. 

Starting to be a touch worried about the whole experience.  Dealer can’t get Lotus to tell me any info on where my car is (went pre config R) or when it will be delivered.

Finance arm can’t give me V5 or Letter for Parking Permits/Congestion Charge as Lotus need to sort them and they haven’t been in contact.

Two+ weeks and more since Finance cleared and order confirmed/deposit paid and no one has even bothered to email let alone ring and confirm order.

Lotus CS seem very nice but promise to come back to me ‘today’ (Monday) and haven’t.

Seriously concerned about possible 180 mile motorway range as that’s less than my temp bog standard Polestar 2 and struggling with that frankly.

hmmmmm don’t mind beta testing to a degree if there is a good end in sight.  At least you can turn off lane assist and sped warnings even if manual.

2 hours ago, twentysix said:

OK

So I left it back to dealership. Good news is the awful buzz is fixed. Key fob is so much handier now. I bought extra one. £300 in case anyone wondering. 

Updated by a plug in update - dealer has no idea what it was for and I can't see any notable differences as yet?

Still no Apple CarPlay.

RANGE - I am starting on 100% in 4-5 degrees heat. Travel mainly 75-80mph, except for odd 10 mins of 60ish in traffic. Do 100 miles using 'Tour' mode and I have 54% remaining on battery roughly speaking. So the range is definitely around the 200 miles mark for driving on motorway at relatively good speed and no passengers in car. Pretty crap to be fair, even with all the caveats about regen around towns/country roads/ temperature etc etc.

THE WORST THING!! OK - The adaptive cruise control is HORRENDOUS!! I'm spoilt as coming from cars that have great ACC, but this thing sucks. It is nausea inducing and it badly needs sorted. So, you set the speed to say 70MPH. First, the problem is that the computer can't seem to maintain that. It constantly, and I mean constantly, speeds up to 71 and then brakes very gently to 70 again. And repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat............... It is so bad that I don't use it. Secondly, it is mental when coming upon traffic, no matter what distance you have set to allow between you and the car in front. I have been 200m behind a car in the slow lane travelling at 75 and it has braked suddenly to 60 or less!!

LED Lights - No idea what's going on here, but they aint sensing any traffic coming the other way, leading to lots of cross flashing from other drivers to alert me!

THE APP - Almost a month in and Lotus still can't match my car to me to the app. This is despite dealership phonecalls on repeat. Dealer has essentially said Lotus are out of their depth here and that the service is terrible. They basically have nothing set up for the possible success that this model (might) have given..... This is going to need sorted so quickly or they are goosed. 

Happy to answer any specific questions about the car. The potential is unreal, and all this is expected with early adoption, so I am prepared to put up with them if there are solutions in the pipeline. 

How does ‘Range’ mode work for you may I ask?  Any discernible difference?

12 hours ago, twentysix said:

THE APP - Almost a month in and Lotus still can't match my car to me to the app. This is despite dealership phonecalls on repeat. Dealer has essentially said Lotus are out of their depth here and that the service is terrible.

Call customer services and ask to speak to Georgio who literally sorted everything out for me in November. The guy understands the product well.

• Thanks 1

On 10/01/2024 at 20:29, twentysix said:

OK

Still no Apple CarPlay.

I have to say I completely get you about the cruise control function, I thought I was imagining things because I felt it constantly braking to maintain the speed. Cruise control isn’t a new thing so kind of surprised they haven’t got this one sorted.

The slowly down when coming up on another car in the slow lane whilst you are in the fast lane isn’t a unique problem of the Eletre, at times my i4 does it and so does the wife’s Golf R both of which also have radar cruise control and assisted steering like the Eletre, which makes you question how will all this work seamlessly when Ladar is added.

The range bit I am less concerned with because I did my own demo, driving at 70-75mph and based on percentage left after my 35 mile motorway spell I reckon 240-245 miles was definitely on the cards.

On 10/01/2024 at 20:29, twentysix said:

Obviously if you don't need the range and want to go 80mph then go for it but the drag at 80mph is a lot higher than 70mph, you are probably losing around 25% range vs going at 70mph. You can have more speed or more range but not both at the same time.

Edited by FastLaneJB
  • Like 1

Just to add but check out this video to see what difference it can make. This isn’t an Eletre as no one’s tested it but this Lyriq does 330 miles at 70mph and 245 miles at 80mph.

Skip to around 16:30 if you just want to see the results.

70mph to 80mph range test

Each car will vary somewhat on this but all will lose significant range at 80mph vs 70mph. If on a long trip where you might have to charge (Especially a few times), you could well get it your destination faster as you might need less charging stops or shorter ones. Could even be difference between having to stop at all to charge.

Edited by FastLaneJB
  • Like 1

On 15/01/2024 at 09:18, FastLaneJB said:

Just to add but check out this video to see what difference it can make. This isn’t an Eletre as no one’s tested it but this Lyriq does 330 miles at 70mph and 245 miles at 80mph.

Skip to around 16:30 if you just want to see the results.

70mph to 80mph range test

Each car will vary somewhat on this but all will lose significant range at 80mph vs 70mph. If on a long trip where you might have to charge (Especially a few times), you could well get it your destination faster as you might need less charging stops or shorter ones. Could even be difference between having to stop at all to charge.

Curious - I found my Polestar 2 does pretty well at 75MPH cruise but 80 it does appear to drop.  70 made less difference (not scientific but based on charge remaining at end of regular journey).

I will do a two way comparison from Cotswolds to London when she arrives.  75 miles each way ish - mainly Mway M40- on cruise at 75MPH and then stop start and country roads each end and set cruise at 80MPH for one and 75MPH for the other.  Mainly as it's a jolly boring journey haha

This is for a different car but you can see some workout the air resistance you need to overcome for an ID4 at those different speeds in terms of kWh used. It goes up a lot at 80mph compared to 70mph. The differences do become lower at slower speeds so the difference from 30mph and 40mph won't be nearly as much.

ID4 Range Drop 80mph vs 70mph

If you can, try 70mph vs 80mph as then you'll see what is likely to be a much more noticeable difference in energy used. Of course if you want to but would be my suggestion so it's just that more obvious.

More than happy to give it a whirl and see.

Will do same journey, both ways and set motorway cruise at 70 and 80 and see what happens!

Will need to have similar temperature and Dry/wet for ‘scientific’ compare.

• Like 1

I have to say I was all set to cancel my Macan EV order and lift my deposit but the cruise control behaviour annoyed me and the lack of Appleplay etc still doesn’t fill me with confidence that Lotus’ CS has stepped up to the level needed to win people like myself from other brands and this is so annoying because I absolutely love the car, it’s drives like a dream, it’s blisteringly fast, it’s looks a million dollar both inside and out.

Come on Lotus address these minor niggles.

p.s. I recall someone mentioning that their adaptive lights weren’t working, this must have been unique to your car because the one I was out in worked perfectly.

Hi - brand new to the forum and this may warrant a new thread but, since Eletre threads seem thin on the ground, figured I’d jump in here for now.

Following this with interest as seriously considering the Eletre to replace my BMW M5 (2019 F90).  Odd as some may find it, even I have grown a little tired of the cold start growl that wakes my neighbours at 6am.  And the family loathes the noise/ride to the point that no one wants to get in it.  But I don’t want to give up the pace, dynamics or luxuries.  

Sat in an Eletre today and was deeply impressed.  Gorgeous outside and in, even if the vehicle struck me as a bit larger than I would like.  And what else is there to match the combination of looks, driving dynamics, pace and luxury in the EV segment?

Nervous to hear about the range issues (noting Harry Metcalfe’s concerns), lack of CarPlay (for now) and the weird adaptive cruise (something I use often in my M5).  Coming from a quick car, I expect only the R will meet my expectations but it’s a big step up in cost and looks like a meaningful step down in range so, unless and until I can drive both, curious to hear how owners have found the pace in the non-R and R versions.

Thanks!

Hi Rex,

I might well be able to answer this one. I had a F10 M5 and I almost didn't as a test drove the F10 M5 Competition Pack with 20inch wheels and after an hour's trip on to be fair some not great UK roads, I wanted to get out of it. It wasn't a comfortable car at all however I ended up with a Non Competition Pack (Back when they offered those in the UK) and I went for 19 inch wheels to be on the safe side. That was probably the most comfortable non-air suspension car I've ever owned. Was really quite annoyed when they stopped offering the Non-Comp edition in the UK. I've nothing against the extra performance and other bits but in my opinion it's just too firm for our roads and well me.

I went from this to a M760Li. 4 Wheel Drive there so unlike the F10 M5, it didn't want to try to kill me all of the time. Comfort went up a notch, handling in comfort was a bit floaty but in Sport not bad at all. Anyway had a Disco 5 during Covid as not doing much driving and to just try my first SUV, quite liked it.

Anyway traded that in today and picked up my Eletre R. So only had it a day so take this with a pinch of salt but will give an early opinion on it...

Comfort - Not quite M760Li levels but not a million miles from it. It's more comfortable than the Disco 5 and F10 M5 Non-Competition. It'll easily be more comfortable than a F90 which was Competition Pack only I believe. I've driven one.

Dynamics - It is an SUV and generally they cannot quite match a sporty, planted saloon. However the Eletre is a very sporting SUV and it corners nicely and flat (With it's electronic trickery). You can feel it's weight if you throw it into a corner but all EV's are going to have that to some degree vs generally lighter ICE cars and again, SUV's just weigh more. Ultimately I think you can enjoy driving this, just need to have sensible expectations.

Performance - I don't think you'll be disappointed here. It's a rapid car and power split is heavily rear biased. It's heavy but even so it's 342bhp per ton vs a F90 M5 at 312bhp per ton. Also you've got that EV advantage of instance power / torque though the Eletre does in most modes dish it out in a more ICE like manner where it keeps building power. Feels nice.

Range - Cannot answer this yet as I've not driven it in a way to validate this. However I expect it'll get similar to maybe a little better range than a Model 3 Performance. Of course it's a larger battery so it is going to be less efficient but on the right chargers it'll also charge faster. I did ponder on this point as we are now a 2 x EV household so I've no ICE for long journeys anymore. However we rarely do them, we went a whole year between having to use a Supercharger on my wife's car and for that small inconvenience, you've all the times you don't have to go to a petrol station because the cars full each morning. No having to de-ice it or get into a cold car because you can pre-heat an EV, etc. You'll have to make your mind up on this, if you are always doing long journeys it might not work well but if it's rarely you should be just fine.

S vs R - If it has to be M5 type quick then you'll need the R as you say. But try an S, I still felt it was a very quick and enjoyable car. It builds power also like the R. Still won't be much on the road that will trouble an S.

CarPlay is coming, it's there in China already so maybe couple of months if based on how we are trailing them. The adaptive cruise works but does seem to jump up and down by 1mph weirdly so it needs fine tuning. Only a short test but it seemed to steer OK but will need to try it more before I can trust it better. I do trust Tesla's autopilot but even that will try and yank you off the road on occasions. There's a place on the A1M near me where it almost always does it without fail so I know to catch it when it does. Only been past it once in the Eletre today but it handled that bit just fine.

I'd also consider that none of these niggles are probably deal breakers for most people. There's a lot of pluses, it stands out, looks great inside and out and above all else. It's got an active rear spoiler. That's +1,000 street cred right there and ticks a childish bucket list item off for me 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@FastLaneJB thanks so much for taking the time to write this, incredibly helpful.  In deciding whether to go S or R I am reminded of the challenge with my M5 - the outright acceleration is amazing but, whilst the opportunity to use it is actually very rare, you are paying for it constantly (fuel economy, running costs).  I know I’ll yearn for the faster model if I don’t have it, but is it worth the compromised range and extra cost - in my case, probably not!

I moved into the EV before the Eletre was even known about so I came out of an F90 M5 Competition I bought in Sept 2020 and in March 2022 I swapped it for a i4M50, so in theory a drop of 80hp and about 300Kgs extra in weight I shouldn’t have found it as quick but you forget the party trick of an EV which is it’s instant maximum torque. Genuinely the i4M50 feels quicker in the area you use it most the 40-80mph bracket and boy do they move.

Roll forward to this month and I got an Eletre (std model) out for a couple days, not ideal weather conditions to properly test its handling but one thing I noticed despite already driving an EV is the Eletre corners very level for a tall vehicle and if brake pedal is probably the best sorted out of all EVs and with the brother owning a Taycan 4S this comment is high praise for the Eletre. Oddly during driving I felt its steering wasn’t very talkative but when I changed it back and pulled away in my i4M50 again I quickly realised it was completely different to my car, mine felt lifeless by comparison.

Next the thing you are concerned about which is the acceleration compared to the M5, the Eletre accelerate probably the closest in feel to the M5, it doesn’t have that instant punch of the i4M50 but it builds and builds and builds as the speed piles on where as the i4 is instant and then starts to tail off. Where as my car has 544hp and is by spec sheet down 60hp to the Eletre I genuinely felt that the Lotus had closer to 700hp. I remember mentioning this here after my demo and it wasn’t until AutomannNL did their video on its 100-200km/h acceleration I realised my opinion was 100% correct this thing is producing way more than claimed, 8.08s up hill when the Cayenne Turbo GT (740hp) did a time of 8.00s on level ground, both times similar to an F90 M5. So you could go for the Eletre R if you want but that would take it into another league of performance way quicker than your M5.

Also the range thing from Harry is an odd thing because I did my own check on this, admittedly less miles on the motorway but I did religiously stick closer to the speed limit and I got a 2.4-2.5mil/KW figure so I reckon 240-245 mile range in these conditions very achieveable and of course way better in the summer. 

One extra thing to share I do approximate 8K per year and with my M5 I was averaging around £230-240 fuel bill per month, even at the higher electricity prices we are currently paying my bill for the i4M50 is around £60-65 per month. Also when you gun an EV heads don’t turn like they always did when I did the same in the M5 so you basically fly under the radar. 

Edited by Footie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Footie said:

Also the range thing from Harry is an odd thing because I did my own check on this, admittedly less miles on the motorway but I did religiously stick closer to the speed limit and I got a 2.4-2.5mil/KW figure so I reckon 240-245 mile range in these conditions very achieveable and of course way better in the summer. 

I absolutely agree and it's the first time I've found myself questioning Harry and how he conducted his test, because like you @Footie I'm seeing solid 250 miles currently. None of us in the UK have received our cars at a decent time of year, so I too think we will see much improved results in the coming months.

• Like 1

Yep I love Harry’s reviews and for the most part I agree with them, his comments on my i4M50 are spot on, but is remarks about the Eletre and the Taycan were not what I see. The brother’s Taycan CT 4S peformance so higher powered model like Harry tested he claimed in similar conditions he was seeing 3.0mil/KW, no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t get the brothers car above 2.3-2.4 tops and in this very recent cold snap he was seeing 1.9 where as I was seeing 2.3 in the i4. 

One thing I have noticed with most if not all motoring journalist in this country and Harry is no different is they favour Hybrids over fully EVs, despite 95% of the year when a single charge will do that rare occasion when you need to add a charge else where clouds their opinion in favour of the Hybrid. Yet journalist in Sweden and Norway where EVs have been universally accepted they haven’t a problem going to charge their cars. I had driven Hybrids and their disjointed power delivery when the whole system wakes up to give you proper acceleration is awful, I get the benefits of tootling around town of only electric and getting the savings of a true EV but the compromise else where isn’t that great in my opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

@FastLaneJB thanks so much for taking the time to write this, incredibly helpful.  In deciding whether to go S or R I am reminded of the challenge with my M5 - the outright acceleration is amazing but, whilst the opportunity to use it is actually very rare, you are paying for it constantly (fuel economy, running costs).  I know I’ll yearn for the faster model if I don’t have it, but is it worth the compromised range and extra cost - in my case, probably not!

That is a good point and one of the bonuses of an EV I think is that you can add power generally without hitting the range much. If you look at the Tesla Model 3 LR vs Performance it’s not a massive difference and I believe really only down to the larger rims on the Performance that it drops a bit.

The Eletre base and S range is quoted with 20 inch aero wheels. If you switch to 22’s then it’ll drop a reasonable amount which are standard on the R. So I suspect the difference in range to not be as large as people might think as long as you just stick it in Range mode (Really softens the acceleration) and take it easy.

I want to try a reasonable length trip and validate this though, I think most who post their consumption in an R aren’t taking it all that easy. If they were that kind of driver, they’d have brought a base or S 😉

Edited by FastLaneJB

7 hours ago, FastLaneJB said:

That is a good point and one of the bonuses of an EV I think is that you can add power generally without hitting the range much. If you look at the Tesla Model 3 LR vs Performance it’s not a massive difference and I believe really only down to the larger rims on the Performance that it drops a bit.

The Eletre base and S range is quoted with 20 inch aero wheels. If you switch to 22’s then it’ll drop a reasonable amount which are standard on the R. So I suspect the difference in range to not be as large as people might think as long as you just stick it in Range mode (Really softens the acceleration) and take it easy.

I want to try a reasonable length trip and validate this though, I think most who post their consumption in an R aren’t taking it all that easy. If they were that kind of driver, they’d have brought a base or S 😉

The Base and S quote between 304 miles - 354 miles, so I imagine the 354 miles is for the 20” and the 304 miles is the 23”, the 22” will probably be closer to the lowest quoted range.

I am not saying Lotus aren’t being a little optimistic with their quoted range but temperature does effect the range so if anyone is seeing as low as 210-220 miles on a long motorway stint then during the summer in more normal driving conditions I reckon 300 miles is very achieveable if not a little more.

p.s. actually after checking the base mode quotes up to 373 miles so maybe it’s the only model offered with a possible swap to the 20” rims. Which if true then the 354 miles quote for the S is on 22” rims.

Edited by Footie