Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rear wheel camber - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Rear wheel camber

I hope a simple question. help appreciated.

My rear tyres are in bad need of replacement. Not a problem except that one tyre has an uneven wear - more on the inside with tread still left on the outside. The other tyre has perfect wear across the tyre. This to me says the camber/toe on the uneven tyre needs adjusting.

My problem is that the nearest Lotus centre with a geometry rig is a 700km round trip, however, my local tyre place has an all singing dancing laser rig. They have used this on my other cars - Golf R, Audi RS etc, so are competent working on mainstream cars. They have documentation for the Lotus Evora in the rig computer, but having never had the Evora on the rig, they do not want to be faced with anything unforeseen such as special shims etc.

My question therefore is - what is involved in adjusting the rear camber (and toe)? Is the procedure simply mechanical and does not require shims?

Thanks

Edited by Hal

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There's no shims required. Its all adjustable but its very little room for working on when the wheels fitted. The camber is adjustable with the centrical washer on the fixing bolts. The toe is adjusted by the using the rear toe rods. Some owners that using 20/19" wheels can experience a slight inner rear tread wear compared to using 19/18" wheels. 

And the rear toe rod adjustment screw is unfortunately very likely to require heating from a torch / gas burner to come loose.

Thanks for the confirmation Bob! In theory, it looks straightforward - one tyre has worn perfectly and the other scrubbed on the inside. I am using 18/19 wheels. The Fronts still have plenty of rubber left and have consistent wear, so maybe a quick job...

Thanks for the tip Andreas! Being Lotus, there always has to be a catch somewhere! Fingers crossed...

• 5 weeks later...

Just to close this one down - changed the rear tyres and when off the rims the inside wear was not as bad as it appeared on the car.

put the car on the bed, set all the laser gizmos up that produced a perfect spec to the embedded data on the Evora, so did nothing in the end!

• Like 1