Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exige 420 sump gate valves replacement - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Exige 420 sump gate valves replacement

I know there was a previous thread on this, but I didn't want to hijack it so am starting a fresh one.

My 420 FE is due its Y2 service shortly.

I am replacing the sump gate valves, and with Lotus ones, if only so I know I won't potentially have a warranty issue if there were an engine problem down the line.

I have got pricing for the service from two dealers, and one is quoting £850 all in for the Y2 service including gate valves changing, the other is quoting £740.

That's not an issue as such (although I thought fixed price servicing would be the same at any Lotus dealer).

The question is that one dealer wants the car overnight, the other can do the service/gate valve change in one day.  I am presuming they will use a liquid sump sealant, hence the overnight stay with one dealer, to let it cure, and I presume the other dealer will do the job early in the day so it has time to cure before I pick it up last thing.

So, does anyone in the know know how long the sump sealant takes to cure?  Can it be done in a day?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks Dave for the quick reply.

I'm guessing by your location 'we' is a certain outfit in Waldringfield 😉

Good point regarding leaving it overnight, I tend to favour a belt and braces approach, I may ask the 'same day' dealer what the Lotus service notes say......but then I can just say to them I will pick it up next day regardless.

Quick thread hijack, but same topic!

I'm coming up to the 4th year service on my 410. I've umm'ed and ahh'ed over whether to fit a Moroso oil sump and whether the baffles need replacing after 2 years and around 5k miles (car is at approximately 9.5k now).

No track usage (well, do 7 crawling laps of Curborough in the soaking wet on Cup 2s count? :D) and no particularly hard driving (thanks "40 everywhere" people). I've frequently heard they aren't worth doing at the intervals specified by Lotus for "normal" usage, but opinions welcome :)

I had mine done at 2 1/2 years and they were unworn, although i had tracked it.

For regular track use i would follow schedule, but for road , 5 years would be fine 

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, David Standing said:

I'm guessing by your location 'we' is a certain outfit in Waldringfield 😉

Correct.   Service notes don't specify a time, just a 5910-type sealant.  If you get buried in the datasheet for that, it could be up to 21 days cure time ;) 

1 hour ago, jmcvaughn said:

I've frequently heard they aren't worth doing at the intervals specified by Lotus for "normal" usage, but opinions welcome :)

It is a rubber based item submersed in hot/cold oil, so will degrade (hence being a service item), hard to say how quickly, lots of variable factors I would say.  Like many things, only you can decide how comfortable you are with the risk.

Dave

• Like 1

Following on from this, I am told the sump gate valve job involves fitting a new exhaust clamp on reassembly, as it is single use, which I believe is part no A132S6022F, clamp assembly, double torca.

Fair enough, but I see from the DeRoure parts listing this clamp is £69.12 inc vat.  Having recently bought a couple of similar double clamps from my local Motor Parts Direct, they were about £10 each!

I won't skimp on critical parts, but £69 for a simple exhaust clamp?!  I am sure there is an identical pattern one out there for about £59 less!

Any of the experts (calling Dave 😉 ) have any suggestions?

• Gold FFM

You can usually get away with reusing the existing one.  They are designed to pull in to shape as you tighten then up, hence they might say you need a new one.

They are a terrible fudge really... who puts a butt join in an exhaust system anyway!?

Dave

Thanks Dave

Good point, I guess you could take that one step further and say who would put any joint in apart from a welded one!

I still think a decent quality lined sleeve clamp would be perfectly adequate.

Thanks Dave

I spent a while down a rabbit hole this morning looking for alternatives and saw that one, but it doesn't have an inner sleeve like the Torca one.

I did find this, however, which does have an inner sleeve, and I think would do the job:

https://progressiveparts.com/product/vag-centre-exhaust-clamp-68-72mm

• Gold FFM
9 minutes ago, David Standing said:

it doesn't have an inner sleeve like the Torca one.

Good point, hadn't spotted that.  I'll have a proper eyeball at one next time I'm under an appropriate vehicle.