Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Sunbeam Lotus in Surrey village - Carlton / Cortina / Sunbeam - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Sunbeam Lotus in Surrey village

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Good spot. The DAC prefix cars are supposed to be very desirable. I can’t remember why, but someone on here will know.

The Avon version is meant to be very desirable. Rare as hens teeth.

Most of the Avon cars are DDU reg.  DAC are normally "ordinary" Series 2 cars.  The Avon certainly has some extra cachet being a numbered limited edition with different trim etc, but the two tone blue paint with red stripe is a bit of a marmite thing and I'm not a fan.  Personally I like the Series 1 embassy black cars - so that's the one I had - but they're all great fun ...

• Like 2

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Don't know if this helps:

http://www.lotusdriversguide.com/Genealogy/Sunbeam.php

and 

https://www.asoc.co.uk/articles/sunbeam-lotus

looks to have some interesting history.

4 hours ago, Veloce_Rosso said:

Number plates aside, what is the aesthetic difference between normal and Avon cars?

That Lotus Drivers guide that Keith linked has some useful pics to show you and I'm sure Graeme will be along soon with a more difinitive set - no one knows more about the SL than him!  But for now:

The Series 1 were all Embassy black with a silver side stripe and grey cloth interior.

The Series 2 continued with the same black pattern but added options for Moonstone Blue with either Silver or Black side stripe and they had "piccadilly" striped seats IIRC.  (There were other minor cosmetic differences like bigger headlights and no frame on the tailgate but overall very similar)

The rare Avon cars were all Series 2 cars numbered (red pinstripe down the side with a number by the door mirror) and many had the same number on their DDU reg.  They were all two tone blue (as shown in the pic Keith linked). Inside they had a "luxurious" velour seat trim in a similar blue colour. 

In fact there were also a few others:  The police had a few cars in different non standard colours.  Some owners have chosen their own paint schemes.  And of course all of the real rally cars were painted in either the factory colours (like Graeme's Poly) - or other team colours - like Andrews Heat for Hire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

Don't know if this helps:

http://www.lotusdriversguide.com/Genealogy/Sunbeam.php

and 

https://www.asoc.co.uk/articles/sunbeam-lotus

looks to have some interesting history.

Thank you for the links. Yes, that's helped.

4 hours ago, MPx said:

That Lotus Drivers guide that Keith linked has some useful pics to show you and I'm sure Graeme will be along soon with a more difinitive set - no one knows more about the SL than him!  But for now:

The Series 1 were all Embassy black with a silver side stripe and grey cloth interior.

The Series 2 continued with the same black pattern but added options for Moonstone Blue with either Silver or Black side stripe and they had "piccadilly" striped seats IIRC.  (There were other minor cosmetic differences like bigger headlights and no frame on the tailgate but overall very similar)

The rare Avon cars were all Series 2 cars numbered (red pinstripe down the side with a number by the door mirror) and many had the same number on their DDU reg.  They were all two tone blue (as shown in the pic Keith linked). Inside they had a "luxurious" velour seat trim in a similar blue colour. 

In fact there were also a few others:  The police had a few cars in different non standard colours.  Some owners have chosen their own paint schemes.  And of course all of the real rally cars were painted in either the factory colours (like Graeme's Poly) - or other team colours - like Andrews Heat for Hire.

Very insightful. Thanks.

Hi Richard,

here is a little guide for you. We (SLOC) have a few members in Surrey and I am sure one would be happy to show you their car. We will also be at the Club Lotus track day at Castle Combe at the end of May, likely with every variant to look at and perhaps blag a ride on the lunchtime parade.

Graeme. Sunbeam Lotus Historian. (Owner of more than one Sunbeam plus a couple of 21st century Lotus)

(I am mindful that most of this thread might perhaps be better in the Sunbeam section...)

SLOC Sunbeam Model Guide rev1.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kkv444v said:

Owner of more than 1 Sunbeam ...

You left a nought off there or are you cutting down these days?? 😉

17 hours ago, kkv444v said:

Hi Richard,

here is a little guide for you. We (SLOC) have a few members in Surrey and I am sure one would be happy to show you their car. We will also be at the Club Lotus track day at Castle Combe at the end of May, likely with every variant to look at and perhaps blag a ride on the lunchtime parade.

Graeme. Sunbeam Lotus Historian. (Owner of more than one Sunbeam plus a couple of 21st century Lotus)

(I am mindful that most of this thread might perhaps be better in the Sunbeam section...)

SLOC Sunbeam Model Guide rev1.jpg

Won't be able to make Castle Combe, a couple Alfa meets during May. More than happy for someone to show me around a Sunbeam Lotus at anytime.

Thank you.