Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
restoring my Elite 501 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

restoring my Elite 501

•  

Good afternoon, It's a long time I have this car now, I have start to take it appart because of a very smokey engine.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm french...

Now the gearbox is rebuilt, the engine is new too, the diff is ready.

A little hole in the galvanised châssis needs to be repaired, I have put the interior out of the car, put the brake pipes, steering column, electric things appart in view to put the body out of the châssis.

I have found a lot of bolts but the body doesn't want to move up at the rear... and I don't know why :)

So please I need help, if one of you has a diagram of the châssis and the blots or if you know the problem...

Damien

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Damien - glad to hear you're making progress.  There are 4 bolts that hold the body at the rear:  Two in the "cavities" below the fuel tank and two below the bolts that retain the fuel tank itself.

Moving forward there are four bolts at about the position of the front of the rear seats - two are reached only from under the car - they are M10s and screw into bobbins in the body itself (interestingly these are not always present on the Elite), the other two you can see just to the rear of the seat belt anchor points.  

The next two are level with the front of the front seats - again visible from inside the car.

The next two are in the engine bay in the inner wings.

And the final two are those which also hold on the forwardmost anti-roll bar brackets.

Let us know how you get on!  And, of course, we need some photos 🙂

Pete

Hi Peter, thanks a lot. I have found the four bolts at the rear, the two bolts under the car too… and I remember the other ones… Maybe the body is heavy but it seems impossible as it does’nt go up with a jack. I’ll take pics. Thanks!

Hi Tar, thank you for the diagram, now I'm sure of what I'm looking for.

I don't see something I have missed. I may have forgotten something that's not a bolt or I must move the front and the rear of the body in the same time... I feel that the problem is near the rear seats, I'll check if I have removed the good bolts under the car next monday. 

The petrol pipe goes through the chassis as well.  Have you removed the spare wheel support - that also attaches to the body and chassis?

Pete

The forward part of the rack attaches to the chassis - just washers and split pins ISTR.  At the rear of the car the rack is supported by a clamp that is accessible from the boot.

Pete

Ha ok, of course I have detached it in the boot. I think it is like if the body was stuck at the chassis beam. I have put the fuel line out of the body, the battery cables too... 

Mystery 🤪

• 2 weeks later...

Be great to get it saved and back on the road.

Yes, it was just the weight of the body! The châssis is not too bad, just one hole. I will have parts to purchase to get it black on the road… but I think it will be a good gt, very original.