Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Purchasing a new Cobra Touch Key and then programming that - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Purchasing a new Cobra Touch Key and then programming that

Hi, my Touch Key is permanently lost.  This is the Touch Key (black, around an inch long, with silver end) NOT the key fobs.  'Cobra Car Tech' online sell new touch keys for £24.99  They display the programming instructions as below.  I would like to know:

* Which of the two types to buy for a 1998 GT3?

* Have you gone through this process and did it work?

* I am an individual not a business; someone said I would not be able to program my own touch key; that seems untrue based on Cobra Car Tech's website.

Many thanks,

Nick.

8510 (Touch Key: 937)

1. Turn the ignition ON and OFF 3 times, then ON within 7 seconds

2. The LED will illuminate permanently

3. Touch a working touch key onto the receptacle, the LED will extinguish for 1 second

4. Repeat step 3 for the additional keys you want to add

5. Switch the ignition OFF to exit programming

Note: A maximum of 4 touch keys can be stored on the system. Adding keys will erase all existing keys

0802T (Touch Key: 937)
1. Disarm the immobiliser using a working touch key (LED extinguished)
2. Turn the immobiliser switch ‘1’ to the ON position (the LED will illuminate)
3. Touch a new key into the mini-socket for approx 1 second, the LED will flash
4. Repeat step 3 for all the existing touch key
5. Turn the immobiliser switch ‘1’ to the OFF position (the LED will extinguish)
6. Test both keys.

I can't say I actually know but reading the instructions i don't think either would work in your situation. You say you have lost your touch key so you don't have a touch key? The way i read the instructions you need a working touch key to start the process and the instructions are for programming duplicate touch keys. 

On 26/06/2024 at 11:11, esprit gt3 nickbassett said:

Touch a working touch key onto the receptacle,

And

On 26/06/2024 at 11:11, esprit gt3 nickbassett said:

Disarm the immobiliser using a working touch key

So unless you do have another working touch key these proceedures will probably not work. 

Thank you NG5.  You just saved my money and aggravation buying one.  Indeed I think you are right.  I had read the instructions differently and took the "working touch key" to mean a brand new blank one.  Thanks again.  This will obviously be a professional job to do.

I think a pro installer will be able to source the code for the key from Lotus (perhaps via a dealer) and set up from new, but I too am pretty sure this isn't something you'll be able to do yourself.

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

I believe it is the same 6422 system as used on the Elise of same era.

The only way to program a touch key on the 6422 alarm is to use a Cobra "Jolly" Programmer tool plugged into the alarm module.

Unfortunately, Jolly programmers are like hens-teeth, I've been looking (very occasionally) for years.  Lotus themselves don't have one any longer.

Dave

• Like 1