Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Do I have an airconditioning problem? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Do I have an airconditioning problem?

Go to solution Solved by DH2,

Hi fellow V6 owners. 

I'm not sure if I have an issue or if I just need to manage my expectations. 

At the start of a journey the aircon temperature is cold, and as expected for a normally functioning unit (based on my experiences with other cars). After about 30 mins the air temperature of the air coming through the vents is maybe cool, but definitely not cold - to the point where I'm questioning if AC is even on. I know it's been a hot day but I thought the HVAC on the recent models was much improved?

Am I expecting too much from the aircon in the car? It seems that if I turn it off for a few moments the air gets colder again before returning to "is it even on?" status.

Furthermore, on taking it out of the garage for a spin this afternoon there was a small pool of liquid that I've not seen before. I've checked again this evening and there is a big wet spot by the driver's side front wheel. 

EDIT: Further googling suggests the symptoms point to the unit icing up and blocking flow of cold air... 

It's under warranty so I'm sure it'll be sorted.

liquid 2.jpg

PXL_20240626_203049862.jpg

Edited by SW_Mike

Icing up does seem to be the leading candidate. Especially following the additional pool of liquid (I think water) I've just found this evening. 

Do you know what the fix would be for that?

• Gold FFM
  • Solution

Evaporator thermostat in the heater box.  Not sure you can get to it on the V6 with the front clamshell on.

You can live view the evaporator temperature via Lotus diagnostic tool, which should confirm if that is the issue, before pulling the car apart.

Dave

• Like 1

I’m experiencing the same thing with my V6; really cold air, followed by warmer, less effective cabin cooling. I’ve had the car for less than two months, so it’s all new to me. Will discuss with my shop. Thanks. 

• Gold FFM

You will experience an amount of cycling in the air temp entering the cabin, as the compressor will switch on and off based on the evaporator temperature.

So after a couple of days of very enjoyable hot weather testing I am fairly certain it's an icing issue. 

If I turn off the AC for a few minutes every 20 mins or so to prevent icing becoming an issue the air flow stays ice cold throughout. A 3-hour drive yesterday confirmed this. 

• Like 1