Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Error P0014 camshaft position sensor - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Error P0014 camshaft position sensor

Go to solution Solved by DH2,

• Gold FFM

After a spirited drive today the car was limiting revs to around 4.8k. No warning lights. 

I plugged in my OBD reader and it's showing an 'unconfirmed' P0014 (whatever unconfirmed is supposed to mean). 

I believe this is a camshaft sensor error. I'm willing to have a crack at changing it myself (there's a first time for everything!) but this would require me to be able to: 

A) Identify what I'm looking at

B) Buy the right part 

Very bad picture attached. Is that the sensor I'm after at the rear right of the engine?

I believe it's part number A132E6283S

On DeRoure/Bell & Colvill?

Would appreciate expert guidance before breaking everything!

PXL_20240831_161956812~2.jpg

PXL_20240831_162120558~2.jpg

4 minutes ago, TdM said:

unconfirmed

as your engine light is not on -probably a pending code.... eg

A pending code will not turn on your check engine light and indicates that a system on your vehicle is behaving abnormally, but not so much as to mean there is an actual problem. For example a temperature sensor might have a normal operating range of 90-110 degrees, but 80-120 degrees is considered acceptable

• Gold FFM

Thanks, good to know. Would be useful to know if I'm looking at the right parts still though as I'm my free years of experience with Lotus, if something *might* be an issue, it tends to definitely become an issue in the following month or so!

• Gold FFM

It's now upgraded to a full blown CEL error. 

As nobody seems to know if the above is the right bit, I'm going to have a crack and I'll let you know for other's future reference/a grave warning depending on how it goes

• Gold FFM
  • Solution

P0014 is triggered by Bank 1 Exhaust Cam Sensor - so you're on the correct bank, but your circled part in the inlet cam sensor, you need the one in the cam cover on the other cam.

I'd say more likely to be an issue with the VVT solenoid than the cam sensor.

I assume you've tried clearing it... 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Thanks for the response, yes, cleared it and it comes back. As you can tell, I'm a long way from a mechanic but with a new setup at home I'm trying to learn. Appreciate the advice, I'll have another look at the diagram and see if I can work it out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

To update, new OCV and it's back to life. It was sticking apparently. 

There is also a cautionary tale to go along with this. I cleared my codes and left my reader in. This appears to have triggered a string angle sensor warning which could only be fixed by recalibrating with Lotus software which seems to be pretty rare outside of the Lotus network so be careful with OBD readers!

• Like 1