Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
adjusting Cam Belt tension - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

adjusting Cam Belt tension

Quicker

• Gold FFM

DIYer's - I need some help.

I am a new owner, working through all the its&bits to make sure my 89 SE is perfect.

My Krikit gauge arrived yesterday - after measuring I am now needing to adjust (it was scary low).

I have the belly pan off, the cam gears and crank at TDC - but can't get a good look at the tensioner - no matter how a position the light and mirror.

After searching for a while - does anyone have a good pic of the tensioner? I would like to see what I am working on.

This is the best pic I could google....

it appears I loosen the top nut, adjust the position of the pulley using the inner nut, then tighten the outer nut down - is that correct? the top is a 17mm and the inner is a 19mm?

thanks for your help.

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have it correct.

Make sure to keep the elipitical part downwards. Should the locking nut ever become loose the tensioner will move into a self-tightening position rather than loosen off completely and disengage the teeth.

DanR

• Gold FFM

uggghh.

this is the pic of that - bouncing off my mirror - though the other accessory belts with the motor still in the car....

sweet... ;<

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

• Gold FFM

yep - that's the crank pulley in the fore-front.

what is the right way to get the 19mm spanner on it? from which side? behind which belts?

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

Troy, I have the proper Lotus one, a standard Burroughs and the Kriket. They are all within a couple of pounds of each other even though the Kriket isn't specifically for cam belts. I've got similar consistencies on other engines too.

Lou, have you tried using a 19mm stepped ring spanner?

DanR

Another way to check the tension is with a laptop and a computer, search for tuneit on this forum to find the way i did it. I modified a 10mm ringspanner in order to have better access. The modifying I did was heating the spanner and adjusting the angle.

Freek

Esprit Freak

• Gold FFM

thanks guys.

I followed some advice from Tim Engel - came at it from the top, pulled the alternator and bracket....

got it done!

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....