Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
TLF Film Appreciation Society - Page 10 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

TLF Film Appreciation Society

Paul C

Tony thanks for the reply, I think we have "we were soilders" on the shelf I will give it a try, I also like Adam Sandler and thought the wedding singer was good, but 50 dates sound like an excuse to re pair him with Drew which is what I was trying to say in my first post...

never heard the term popcorn movie before

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Sort of disposable films that you can enjoy just for the sake of watching a film. Classic cases are like Notting Hill (remake of 4 weddings basically), Mr and Mrs Smith (Beautiful people firing guns alot), that sort of thing.

If you liked Wedding SInger then do watch 50 First Dates. I think it's sufficiently different to be enjoyable still, and I always cry my eyes out at the end! (But then I'm just a big girl).

One more to add whilst I'm talking film.

Four Brothers with Mark Wharlborg. It's a great action movie but definately thoughtful with the adopted siblings finding out why their momma died! Great action movie but with some intelligence.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Just watched "when we were soldiers" very good movie and just goes to show what a waste of human life war is.......

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

Some favorites that I've never grown tired of:

Blackhawk Down - the tension rises early on, and never lets off. A Ridley Scott masterpiece, along with Blade Runner.

The President's Analyst - a comic jewel from the 70's, look this one up, it makes some outrageous predictions that came true. One interesting vehicle: an Amphicar.

North by Northwest - probably Hitchcock's finest, followed closely by To Catch a Thief. Grace Kelly and two beautiful cars.

Battle of Britain - forget the rest of the film, the spits peeling off over Dover are a classic moment. "Corporal, where are you taking those vultures?"

To have and have not - one of the steamiest films ever made, and no one took their clothes off. "You know how to whistle, don't you Steve? Just put your lips together and... blow"

And as long as we're talking Bogie - The Maltese Falcon. Set the tone for detective films. "I won't play the sap for you"

Apollo 13 - accurate detail, not too much Hollywood, and the blastoff scene is one of my all time favorites.

Dead Again - excellent mystery, Branagh gets the LA gumshoe act down perfectly. "I'm not looking for Miss Right, I'm looking for Miss Right Now."

Bullitt - how many films have copied that car chase? Ronin (another good film) copied at least two shots directly from it.

Duck Soup - slapstick at it's finest. "I've got a good mind to join the club and beat you over the head with it".

It wasn't a film, but the HBO series Band of Brothers was one of the best war flicks I've ever seen.

Of the Bond films, Thunderball remains my favorite, for being one of the least outlandish and most believable. From Russia With Love runs a close second, for the same reason. Okay, and You Only Live Twice, for being spectacular and the 2000GT.

Dr. Strangelove - dark masterpiece. "You can't fight in here, this is a war room"

I've been looking for some time for a copy of "John Goldfarb, Please Come Home" it dates back to the 60's, one member gave me clue, but so far I've drawn a blank. Any avid movie fans got a copy of this or know where to get one?

Roger.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Well done on watching "we were Soldiers!" Howard and you're right I thought it a rip roaring film but with a serious message.

If you like war films I also recommend "WIndtalkers" with Christian Slater and Nick Cage. It's about the Navaho indian code talkers in WW2, the only code never to be broken by the Germans/Japanese, because they never took a Code talker alive. It tells the story of how they had a "Protector" who was there to kill them if it looked like they were to be captured and how they grew, in adversity, to be respected by the other troops.

I really recommend this one. Some great action and again a serious message.

Terminator 4 looks Awesome! Going to See Start Trek this weekend!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

yep seen "Windtalkers", and know all about the code stuff, idea was first tried in WW1, best war film IMO is "The Longest Day" starring just about everybody who was anybody in the acting world..

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

Agree. That and Battle of Britain (mentioned above) are 2 classics that you just never get tired of watching!

Some other war films worth a watch in my collection of DVD's:

Midway

Tora, Tora, Tora

Black Hawk Down

Hamburger Hill

Platoon

Thin Red Line

Days of Glory (Algerian Subtitled film about their soldiers in WW2)

Heartbreak Ridge (No one does hard Sargaent like Clint)

Zulu

Zulu Dawn

Lastly can I suggest the whole Sharpe series available as a box set at around

bar the Algerian film I have seen all of the above including the Sharp series

as for 'nam films, I think John Wayne in "Green Berets" was probaly the first film about that war, though I am happy to be corrected

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

I forgot Full Metal JAcket as well.

I have to say that Hamburger Hill is one of my favourites, but was hugely overlooked as it came out the same time as Platoon. Well worth a watch for anyone who loves a cracking good war film.

I love 50's war films, cant beat black and white for atmosphere. Some particular faves are,

The Cruel Sea,

Ice Cold in Alex

Colditz

Dambusters

Dunkirk

The Man Who Never Was

I was Montys Double

Silent Enemy

Reach for the Sky

Sink the Bismark

Battle of the River Plate

A couple of films made during the War are well worth checking out, in particular

The first of the Few, The story of R J Mitchel and the development of the Spitfire & Went the day well, which is about the invasion of a small village by 5th columnists.

A couple from the 70's worth a mention are A Bridge too Far, and the Eagle has Landed.

I think if the weather is pants on Sunday I'll settle down with a cuppa and some biccies and watch a couple.

Well took my son to see the new Star Trek movie last night and all I can say is "Well done" that J. J. Abrams guy! Great acting, funny where it needed to be, good story line to make it work with the previous Star Trek incarnations and excellent SFX.

Highly recommended if you are a Trekky. We got there late due to my son forgettig the need to get to the first show early and had to stand in the back for the whole 2 hours but it was well worth it to see it on an IMAX screen!

Anyone else?

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

Other war films worth watching (that are some of my favs):

Cross of Iron.

The Deer Hunter.

Hell is for Heroes.

The great Escape.

Kelly's heroes.

Where Eagles Dare.

Between Heaven and Hell.

Flags of our fathers.

Letters from Iwo Jima(the best of the two IMO).

Apocalypse Now.

Born on the fourth of July.

Casualties of War.

The Beast of War.

Glory.

Edited by Hemlock

Hey whats wrong with this wreck? We`re getting gas back here.

Well took my son to see the new Star Trek movie last night and all I can say is "Well done" that J. J. Abrams guy! Great acting, funny where it needed to be, good story line to make it work with the previous Star Trek incarnations and excellent SFX.

Highly recommended if you are a Trekky. We got there late due to my son forgettig the need to get to the first show early and had to stand in the back for the whole 2 hours but it was well worth it to see it on an IMAX screen!

Anyone else?

ok i went to see this last night, didn't get to see it at an IMAX though but never mind. really enjoyed it, and i will admit to being a it of a trekkie :) it gets a thumbs up from me :P

saw the trailers for the new terminator - looks good

and for transformers 2 - again looks good :)

hoping to see wolverine next week :)

Me my two kids, grandma and grandad and uncle went to see star trek yesterday evening

Brilliant film, a must see. Even if you are not a trekkie, well worth the money as a whizz bang entertaining film

Star Trek - really enjoyed this one, it will never be a classic, but good fun.

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

My name is Laura, and I am a Trekkie.

Well I don't have a uniform and I don't go to conventions but I am a sci-fi geek and I do enjoy all things Trek I'm afraid. I loved the new Star Trek films, like most geeks nerds fans I was a little worried about what they would do to the franchise but I loved it from start to end, there were so many lovely little geeky touches in there, I even got excited at the end credits. Zachary Quinto who played Spock & Karl Urban who played 'Bones' did a fantastic job especially.

Terminator : Salvation newest 5minutes production clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAL-XWKz7RU...re=channel_page

Terminator : Salavation workshop clips

http://www.20min.ch/unterhaltung/kino/story/20125498

**P.S. I am starting to worry about this movie...

first, I just found out the script writer is the same as "cat woman"

second, when a movie starts to show too many clips, it's a sight that something not very good will be happening..

Edited by esprithk

Another interesting war film I saw recently is Otokotachi No Yamato. Made in Japan around, I think, 2005, it follows an AA gun crew on the battleship Yamato, from training to the last voyage. It's not in general distribution, I ordered the DVD out of Hong Kong.

This was a large budget production, for which they built a full scale replica of much of the ship's superstructure. Say what you will about CGI, but a real set just looks more authentic. The battle scenes are very intense.

The antagonist in this film wasn't so much the US Navy, it was the admirals who sent the ship out with no air cover on a pointless mission.

• 1 month later...

Just saw the trailer of "The Man Who Never Sleeps." It's about this dude in London who spends his days catching mid-week late shows at the cineplex, usually arriving home about 1:30 AM, just in time to go online to give his take on the movie's merits. The subplot involves his association with a group of fast car enthusiasts who share in his online addictions and cult worship of some sort of water lilly called a Lotus. Apparently they have agents worldwide in their pursuit of dominating the automotive industry in an effort to establish a New World Order in the vehicular arena. The "Babe" is played by an up and coming actress named "Laura," who confesses to having a "Trekkie" fetish, a side story that provides the producers the needed excuse for the obligatory CGI inputs.

All in all a decent flic, but the lead character looks like he really needs to get some sleep! :respect:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Whilst not a movie, I have started to watch Michael Palin's "Around the World in 80 Days" (on DVD), Comes highly recommended, by me. A fascinating insight in to the various countries he visits, the modes of transport he uses. Go on get a copy! :respect:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)