Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
TLF Film Appreciation Society - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

TLF Film Appreciation Society

Paul C

Dead man's shoes.

Had never heard of this till some guy in the pub lent it to me.

Superb bit of british film making, pretty gritty, but where it needs

to be. Language caution, but it needs to be there too. Some funny

scenes (at first), then you really get the picture...

I won't tell you what it's about, as to explain will kind of spoil the

whole package. So many people have never heard of this film!

A very good film.

Tonight, film 4, 10.50pm-12.30am

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
Top film, come on Alex, have you seen it yet, can we talk about it now!? :D

Sorry guys, hold out a few more days if you can, been visiting my mum, she is a bit poorly right now and so havent had chance to sit down with it. I promise to watch it by friday. After that you can spill the beans.

Deal?

Alex

C'mon Alex. Put Paddington down and watch the movie! Heck, he can even watch it with you if he doesn't mind the language.

I'd never heard of it before I first saw it. I only watched it because there was nothing else on. It was a real revelation. Filmed with a tiny budget and it beats the pants off most of the stuff coming out of Hollywood.

More speed, less haste

OK watched it now......

Its an unusal Brit Flick and it struck me as Reservoir Dogs in Halifax for the 1st 60 mins and then it went a bit sentimental at the end. The real life grit feel to it was good and the violence wasnt glorified. Not a bad recommendation Paul :) , I would give it a 7 out of 10 because although the ending was a reasonable twist it was doen with too much sentimentality.

If you havent seen Dead Mans Shoes and you get the chance to pick it up on DVD cheap, its worth a good few quid of anyones money.

Also great topic for a thread. Can we post say on Monday /Tuesday (or any time in adavnce really) info on an up coming film on TV that week, then we watch it and then write about it. It will be LEF Film Review

cheers

Alex

Also great topic for a thread. Can we post say on Monday /Tuesday (or any time in adavnce really) info on an up coming film on TV that week, then we watch it and then write about it. It will be LEF Film Review

How about that LEF film appreciation society! what with that and "Troy and kimber's culinary courses" we are getting very cosmopolitan!

Anyway, I heard on the radio today that they are going to remake "The day the earth stood still" with Keanu Reeves in it...........what do you think of that!

Phil

98GT3

Theres some great bits in it, the old fat bloke that wears the suit, even after he has NOB sprayed on the back he still chooses to wear it!

The Citroen 2CV, when they pull up out side Sonnys place with the music playing & there all nodding their heads, 'ah i was enjoying that man'...

When he first sees the elephant & leggs it back up the stairs in to the room, what the heck are the other 2 doing?! They are both dancing on the table, one wearing a tribal mask & has the other one holding a spear?! :)

How about that LEF film appreciation society! what with that and "Troy and kimber's culinary courses" we are getting very cosmopolitan!

Anyway, I heard on the radio today that they are going to remake "The day the earth stood still" with Keanu Reeves in it...........what do you think of that!

Phil

98GT3

Sound like a good name for a new Topic! - I will be in that.

Iain

Ok,

Here be the rules of the LEF film appreciation society,

feel free to add more as we go along:

1, No film with julia roberts.

2, No film with any member of the friends cast.

3, No film with a man and woman kissing at the end.

4, No film with two men kissing at the end (err, apart from 'Wilde').

5, The first three starwars only.

6, No shawshank style generic 'makes you glad to be alive' by-the-numbers flicks.

7, The knife fight in 'Under siege' makes the film meet our criteria.

8, Mad max 1,2 and even 3 are in.

9, No musicals, even though i'm a fan of lionel barts 'Oliver!'.

10, No film with Hugh grant.

11, Early Jean Claude VanDamme films such as Kickboxer.

12, No films faeturing JCVD after Timecop.

13, Rambo First blood is in "down there you're the law, up here it's me".

14, No film with Bruce willis as a 'slightly rough looking but basically good guy', again.

15, Films with two women kissing at the end are just fine.

16, No buddy movies.

17, Apart from 'Trading places', all other eddie murhpy films need voting on.

18, All terminator films are in.

19, All hellraisers, nightbreed and any other clive barker film are in.

20, Tom Cruise is, and always has been a very overpaid smile (see also julia roberts).

21, Dirty dancing, footloose, grease etc are out.

22, Three hours of Pan pipes is enough to ruin a film like Lord of the Rings.

23, Decker is a replicant.

24, The stormtrooper bangs his head.

25, The dog in gladiator is actually called 'hell'.

feel free to add...

:thumbup:

Ok,

Here be the rules of the LEF film appreciation society,

feel free to add more as we go along:

2, No film with any member of the friends cast.

Good rules........................but I have to say that Jennifer Aniston has one extremely fit body, so if shes in a film I'm going to watch it :blink: ........but I just won't tell you :thumbup:

Phil

98GT3

Another rule

Absolutely no chick flick unless you happen to be a LEF Chick!

OK, digi recorders ready- Film 4 Tonight at 10.50 Southern Comfort.

"Set in 1973, the film features a Louisiana National Guard patrol of 9 on weekend manoeuvres in bayou country. "

Worth a watch. B)

Edited by Alex --GT3--

• Gold FFM
9, No musicals, even though i'm a fan of lionel barts 'Oliver!'.

No musicals agreed - Tommy and Blues Brothers are quite obviously exempt. B)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Blues Brothers

OMG!

How far apart are we mate?

Have never understood what people see in that one, have tried,

but it's up there with Dirty dancing and Grease, as one of those

musicals that have a huge following but is of no entertainment

to me at all. Really hate the music too. Turn off the telly time if

there's nothing better on...

Soz,

• Like 1

er what about "Cabaret" IIRC it won 12 oscars.. totaly brilliant film, you cant just say no musicals...

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

I'm with Paul on the musicals. A good film is about the willing suspension of disbelief, and I'm sorry somebody busrting into song halfway through a sentance just does not do it for me, with the possible exception of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

As for true genius, you have to go along way the beat the Usual Suspects, or I'ts a wonderful life.

I'm also a fan of old British war movies, and some of my favorites are,

The First of the few, if you've not seen it it's about R J Mitchell and the development of the Spitfire, dedicated to men in sheds everywhere.

Ice Cold in Alex, The Dambusters, and the Cruel Sea.

Being a Sci Fi fan I'm not sure I like the idea of remaking "The Day the Earth Stood Still" I'm afraid too many special effects will spoil the story, and being synical they are probably just cashing in on the hysteria surrounding global warmng, and terrorism,

For Sci Fi I would like to nominate a little known film by Gerry Anderson, made in 1968 called "Doppleganger" or as it was renamed for the American market "Journey to the Far Side Of The Sun" Story is a bit ropey but the special effects were Oscar nominated, and only lost out to a film called "Marooned" whose effects were no where near as good.

And finally what about car movies. Obvously Le Mans is up there but I like an American film called "Two Lane Blacktop" a great little film about a race across country between a GTO driven by Warren Oats, and a 1955 Chevy Hotrod driven by James Taylor, and Dennis Wilson.

Oh and Paul you forgot to mention TV spin offs, and to kick off the case for the prosecution I nominate "The Avengers" and "Thunderbirds"

I can only think of one for the defence "Star Trek"

er what about "Cabaret" IIRC it won 12 oscars.. totaly brilliant film, you cant just say no musicals...

Hi mate :blink:

No.

It would seem the film thing will show a divide of tastes. Cabaret was not on my exclusion list

as i 'thought' it was an obvious exclusion. But i'm wrong again here. That song they do in it

'money makes the world go round' is slightly less nausiating than 'i know a song that will get

on your nerves'.

However, we must bow to each others tastes. But if thats in then 'Oliver!' is in too.

• Gold FFM
'money makes the world go round' is slightly less nausiating than 'i know a song that will get

on your nerves'.

:thumbup: Never a truer word sproken IMO

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Paul, I have to say I am on the same Page as you with Musicals. Its was and still is intended to be a live performance medium. Other wise why dont we sling a few MTV videos together and bang it out as a modern musical film (note idea, may make us money!)

The disney films are nice but when the monkeys and lions burst into some sentimental song I chuck up. But dont get me wrong a film with a song can be good, take Bear Necessities out of Jungle book. Put that on the screen and everybody starts joining in and I love it. See you are already humming it now and it will be with you for the rest of today inside your head.

Look for the bare necessities

The simple bare necessities

Forget about your worries and your strife

I mean the bare necessities

Old Mother Nature's recipes

That brings the bare necessities of lifethejunglebook2pic.jpg

These musical films should be called Filmed Musicals and are therefore exempt for film status. Its also the same with film documentary, they are not proper films and should be excluded.

Its a bit like a nova boy calling his chav machine a lotus because it has an engine, two doors, four wheels etc.

Films are stories (mostly with words, and occasional song) and thats it. end of. NO Documdramas, NO musicals

Alex