Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
TLF Film Appreciation Society - Page 6 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

TLF Film Appreciation Society

Paul C

Assembly sounds good - I will add it to my list, thanks :lol:

Obvious question, but is it in English, or at least with subbies?

Iain

Hi, Iain

I am sure it will have english subtitle when the DVD is released.

(I think they will release international version, too...which will probably in chinese language with english subtitle)

By the way, I am not sure if this topic includes TV episodes...

HK is showing "Doctor Who" every Monday evening. I just love it.

I think it's the best Sci-Fi series since X-Files & Heroes

Anyone going to see AvP II ?

Opens this Firday I think. :lol:

I can't. :animier:

I'm a big fan and own all of them bar (obviously) this new one.

The first and best was on last night 'Alien'. I own this and have

seen it many many times...

Was too scared to watch it all last night. I have to be in the mood,

this one still terrifies me and is a real 100% bargain horror as it never

fails for me.

I need to be in the comfort of home the first time i watch, as i'll jump

bigtime, cry out, the bloody works. ...and look like as ass in the cinema.

:blush:

Saw the first five minutes of AVPR last night (E4, it's online too).

I'm really not a fan of subtitled and foriegn films. I grew up with Barry Norman doing Film on BBC1 and he only liked foreign films about frog fishing in Belgium! YAWN!

I freely admit that when it comes to movies I'm not an intellectual. I prefer films I lose myself in not films that I have to think about. Gun, Blood, Action, explosion, Wilis, Swartznegger, Bourne, Kill, death etc are all words I like to read on the back of the DVD. Love, thoughtful, thought provoking, intelligent, charming all put me to sleep.

If you want cutting edge french films, that are hard to stomach because of the graphic violence and sex try this one. Its mega edgy and shocking. Worth a watch , i was amazed it was in Choices DVD back in 2001 for rental.

Baise Moi Considered the most shocking thriller you will see without an R rating. Ladies you will find the opening scene very shocking, be warned.

nadine.jpg

If you manage this, then try this one, it has one of the most stomach turning horrific scenes I have ever seen anywhere. Puts all horrors into the shame. Its also very different as the film plays backwards.....it starts at the end and goes in reverse showing you how you got there, so the next scene is actually the previous one. Totally bonkers and totally art house. The opening scene where a guy uses a fire extinguisher as an aid to thumping some is tough to get past, if you can then you will make it to the end of the film

51MDJRCDFVL._AA240_.jpg

Irreversible

watched Cloverfield.

it's great....but remember it's filmed by handheld DV cam, so someone may not be able to get used to the filming (alot of shaking)

**warning: it is a documentary!! (not action hero)

rumor says "there will be PART 2"!!

Seen AVP II a week or so ago, it's OK, nothing special, somebits a little dis-tasteful imo.

I dont mind horror but not making things just vile and sick (ie all these cut-em up films) - when you resort to that you've lost.

BIG Fan of the Alien / Predator films but anything after Alien 3 was just rubbish - dont even get me started on Alien 4....

AVP isn't too bad but gone are the old school sci-fi directors who know how to make good sci-fi and horror.

Showed a mate 'Aliens' the other night and he was blown away by it (never seen it lol) - I've seen it more times than I care to say but it still looks new and exciting all these years on - same with Alien which we watched a few days before B)

All the great films stem from those days, thought had to go into the shot and the set as opposed to CGI CGI CGI CGI all the way through.

Take the puppet for the Queen alien, incredible work - the end scene in Aliens is just spectacular.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

I know exactly what you mean. I am not a fan of the CGI stuff and i think it almost ruined the newer Star Wars films. The sets and models have a "real" quality that CGI has not been able to match quite right.

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

Hi,

Wild Things, that's not a bad movie. Seeing Denise Richards getting it on with another girl has to be tops! Also the story is good for a black comedy. :lol:

Downfall is a well filmed true life movie, glad it's all in german as well, no English speaking germans!

Black Book, another war movie, that was good. Bring's it home how bad WW2 really was.

Star ship Troopers, excellent movie, Denise again! :D

Train Spotting, another good black comedy.

Owen.

Edited by OwenGT3

more about Cloverfield.

Japan will show the movie on April 5th, 2008.

and for Japan market, they will release 4 issues of comic books to give a prelude of the story of the Cloverfield.

one comic per month until April 5th 2008!!

the comic link is here (click the upper left button to load the comic)

http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/tachiyomi/comic/cloverfield/#

oh...english explanation is here

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12752

Edited by esprithk

Hi All,

me, Caitlin and Claum went to the pictures today to see Enchanted. Its a lovely Disney film and would rcommend it. Disney manged to take the mickey of themselves in this one. Proper fairy tale stuff.

enchanted-poster.jpg

Amy Adams, plays the leading lady Giselle in it and she is well hot,..... fellas, if you dont have kids, borrow some and go and see her. Cant wait for her next film.

enchanted1.jpg

people_amy_adams.jpg

Edited by Alex --GT3--

I went to see the new Rambo film on Friday, It is surprisingly good!

apart from the film went wonky half way through, they had to stop the film and reset the timing :blink:

Did we get a refund, no.

off the see National Treasure 2 in an hour and a half, supposed to be a good film :lol:

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

off the see National Treasure 2 in an hour and a half, supposed to be a good film :lol:

cant be any worse than National Treasure 1.....

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

I didn't think it would win awards either but I enjoyed it as watchable tat.

It was number 1 for a few weeks so some must have enjoyed it.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Was just debating weather to stick the Excorcist on ("working" from home today - cough) but found this old classic instead...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ouZkkIsLiNg&...feature=related

"Are you going to listen to Gary? He could be one of those things..."

Ooo - the whole fillum in 6 1/2 minutes....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VYXaiVCPAQY&...feature=related

Johj Carpenters: The Thing

Edited by CharlieC

Howard - you're a kinda "glass half empty" type right?

Or was the NT1 really that bad...?

:whistle:

thought it was purile, but I did see it on a plane, ie small screen, poor sound

just watched Natalie Portman in V for vendetta, very good, dystopian Britain in the not too distant future....

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

Wow! Howard...I really hated that film. Me thinks we shouldn't have a date at the cinema!....actually methinks we shouldn't have a date! :whistle:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

considering it was probably made with a budget way less than a hollywood blockbuster, I thought it was very good especially as they blow up the palace of westminster at the end...

I dont go to cinemas anymore because thay are full of rude people who think it ok to talh through the film, the chairs are too close together and the whole place usually stinks of popcorn, so the date is definatly off..

ps how do you feel about museums?

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

I dont go to cinemas anymore because thay are full of rude people who think it ok to talh through the film, the chairs are too close together and the whole place usually stinks of popcorn

Agree with everything you have just said Howard. If people can't stop talking and stuffing their fat faces for two hours, there's something wrong! :whistle:

The wife and I usually go first thing Sunday morning to the flicks, that way you don't get so many kids and adults as it's too early to watch a film. The last one we went to see was 'I Am Legend', there was only 6 people in there, and we were 2 of them, that how full I like it, oh, and none were kids! :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate kids, it's just that when I was a child growing up, children were seen and not heard. Today it's a miracle that they can stay quite for 5 minutes and not be the centre of attention, and what's more amazing it's my generation and there after that taught them to behave like this! I don't know where the plot was lost?

Owen

Edited by OwenGT3

Owen

You sound like my Grandad!!! :whistle:

I do agree with the cinema comments. Me and the Mrs go quite alot but always insist on Gallery seats at the Odeon. they may be

I'm with Owen, Sunday morning's it's like having a private screening.

The problem with kids of today (maybe we should start a Grumpy old Esprit owner thread) is they do not know how to be bored, they have to be stimulated every second they are awake and the second they arn't all hell tends to break loose. I hope it's not too obvious I havent got kids. I promised myself I wouldn't have any till I was done growing up, and that ain't going to happen anytime soon :D

I have 4 and I have 2 of each sex and 2 of each "Attitude" Laura and Aaron don't get bored no matter what. They can both sit for hours reading a book or watching total pap on TV, they never compain about boredom and if they do get bored they normally go down the library and get another book or find something, anything, to do.

Alice and Joe are the opposite. though Alice is a petrol head she can't even come out for a hoon without sending 300 text messages during a 1 hour journey. If the TV is off or I won't let them on the Wii all hell brakes loose as they wind everyone up until they get their own way (which they never do!).

Alice is a little different from Joe as he's 10 and she's nearly 17 but she can't even sit down for 2 minutes without "I'm bored". If she doesn't have plans to meet anyone she calls everyone she knows just to go into town. It's like an addiction.

One of the troubles is that when bored or busy neither Alice and Joe do anything constructive. Laura and Aaron even when bored, do contructive things like watching Discovery channel or reading a book and expanding their minds.

i blame modern society for making us a bunch of self involved adrenaline junkies!

Hi,

The problem with going to the flicks today is a lot of people think it's their lounge/living room, so they act like they were at home. Which means talking out loud, farting, sneezing, coughing, playing with phone, eating and drinking constantly just in case they starve, then getting up for the loo because of all the crap just eaten! :D If you gave these people the ability to stop the film with a remote, they would, just to get some more food supplies!

I once had to tell a woman to shut up and that I didn't need a running commentary on what was going to happen next. I also told a group of 20 year old lads to stop pissing around in Star Wars, when it was re-released. I've been lucky in that a lot of films I've watched I didn't pay for, my Dad used to be the projectionist, so I went free, but I would be pissed if I did pay. Once got some teenage girls removed because they pissed about all through Twelve Monkeys, which needs concerntration as it's a hard film to follow. We left so they thought they had messed our viewing, we just went another night for free.

I tend to wait and buy DVD's now, just going to the the films I really want to see. Perhaps it is something to do with getting older, but I know I've always gone to the flicks to watch the film, not to have a pub conversation, I'd save that for later! It's the must be heard, no manners generation.

Owen

• 1 month later...

Hi,

The wife and I went and saw 'The Bank Job' today, brilliant film and well worth watching. Even more pleasurable knowing I was around then so can relate to the whole feel of the film, even if I was a kid. Many stars in the film and a current face on the telly, Keeley Hawes appears. Well worth taking a look.

Owen