Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Buy a Lotus workshop manual - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Buy a Lotus workshop manual

WayneB

Question

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

14 answers to this question

Buy a workshop Lotus workshop manual

Available from the Department of Redundancy Department! :P

...unless you need to know something about the starter . . . I don't think the starter is covered in the workshop Lotus workshop manual! :thumbup::blink:

(Corrected the title now. Thanks for pointing it out, Tony.)

Edited by USAndretti42

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

But don't drop it on your foot!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I've gotta say the parts manual has been more useful...there's a lot of gaps in the workshop manual.

Edited by rlc

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone 😞

1977 S1 Esprit, in less bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The car's weakest part is the nut holding the steering wheel”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

Me too Si,

I couldn't get much done without the manual - but it is a bit confusing re which model is pictured (Federal etc). And if anyone can tell me which electrical circuit is applicable to my car, well done (...and I am an electronics engineer! :getmecoat: ). The fuel tank system hookup was also another example this forum was able to support rather than the book.

Iain

I have them all 4 for my 1990 SE, Delco Fuel Injection (= section EMH D082T0327J), Electrical sections, Service Notes Esprit 1988 - 1992 and the Parts List 1988 - 1992. What is not covered in the manuals is more then covered on LEF/LEW and by the technical department of LOTUS.

Freek

Esprit Freak

I think what Wayne is trying to say here is that he thinks perhaps you should be reading the manual rather than asking questions on here of your fellow owners.

We all know that we need the manuals, and most of them have them but what they don't explain is 'how' to do a job on what is sometimes a 20+ year old car, which is where the likes of LEF/LEW come in. That's the limitation of the manual and the benefit of the experience of someone who has done the job or experienced the problem themselves although the manual itself becomes invaluable too when you've got everything in pieces and want to know how to put it back together!

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I have found the manual indispensable from the basic servicing schedule to changing the cam belt (supplementing the guide on LEW), and, in particular, sorting out electrical problems.

I agree with Iain that it's confusing to know which circuit diagram is for which car. There are 2 for the S1 and 2 for the S2. It's easy to tell the S1 and S2 apart because the instruments on the S1 have the printed circuit. The 2 S2 diagrams are so alike that I just use the one with the better printing.

This section is no substitute for a workhop manual nor is the manual a substitute for this section. They complement each other.

Start with the manual and, if that doesn't help, turn to the forum for help.

Edited by USAndretti42
Hadn't finished.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

the whole basis of a techsection is to add information for the benefit of the other owners of these cars or the model in question. its the same with the restoration section, by detailing the job you do with good photos we are slowly building our very own "haynes" manual of various jobs being done in various stages on our cars.

by doing this , when a member needs to know something they can reference this and the photos and see how things were and have been done, however, and i must clearly add this, there are times when details and photos are no help, and personal experience from a member is required as they may have other suggestions that come to mind, its times like this that the benefit of experience tends to out-weigh any manual that you may have.

every job i have ever done on my car has always had detailed write ups and detailed pictures that relate to the information supplied with them.

i have done this with every car i have owned and will continue to do so, that way i share what i learn.

i would rather be a fool for one minute and ask a question than never ask a question and be a fool for the rest of my life!.

This is interesting... I just got my manual on cd.... i know that's kinda funny, as I have already completely disassembled and re-assembled my car once... :lol: however, I found it interesting that the 88-92 manual has absolutely nothing about the bosch injection system! unbelievable! Maybe my manual is missing a section??

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.