Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine Undertray - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine Undertray

My 1984 turbo never came with one :(

Does anyone have one in Sydney have one I could look at or buy, or does anyone have the exact dimensions/cutouts bends etc so I can get one made up?

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone 😞

1977 S1 Esprit, in less bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The car's weakest part is the nut holding the steering wheel”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many did? Was it standard? I have never had one!

Paul.

Mine is a 86 turbo and has the under tray fitted. I assumed it was a standard fixture for the car as it must add to the areodynamics. Also keeps the engine clean.

These must still be available as a new part???

It might be worth contacting the factory about these. I 'think' I recall Brian saying that they were there purely for noise reduction on the Drive-By tests when the car was being developed.

I don't think the N/As had one, but I might have got this the wrong way round.

If only there was a JLC lookalike with a direct line to the factory.....

I had the undertray and the retaining strip missing on my No.11 as well as some other parts.

Ended up buying these parts from the factory for around

Edited by botus

Mike Kimberly at the launch of the Lotus Evora,

"These cars will be for the few who know the difference!"

I don't have one either. I think they were removed with the thought they were causing over heating. I still have the retaining strip. I would like to have one. I have up dated my radiator fans with perma cool type so cooling is not a problem. I think the original idea was that the tray would reduce under car drag.

Cheers

Clay

It might be worth contacting the factory about these. I 'think' I recall Brian saying that they were there purely for noise reduction on the Drive-By tests when the car was being developed.

I don't think the N/As had one, but I might have got this the wrong way round.

That's exactly correct, they were there to pass drive-by noise tests, no other reason at all. :thumbsup:

I discussed this with Brian a month or two ago while sitting on the bench outside the entrance to the offices in the Hazel Chapman gardens area of the factory. No-one else was about. Your listening devices are getting better and better :)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

i have one , i need to pop down to simon350's and get it and a few other bits, i can then measure it up and do a cad drawing if you want. gimme a few days to sort a time out with simon to collect it.

Much appreciated!

I know a sheet metal guy that could make it up one for me.

Problem with Australia is...well...it's Australia and exactly on the otherside of the world. Thats good for lots of reasons, but getting Lotus parts from Lotus ain't one of them:)

Edited by rlc

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone 😞

Sydney, Australia

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

I have been thankful for mine on 2 occasions now, especially the second one when the Oil pump pulley fell off on the M1 motorway, and the tray stopped it flying off into another car, and it being lost forever.

It also protects the belts from debris on the roads hitting the belts and pulleys.

one can be made easily with some 3mm sheet Ally, and a tape measure.

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

I have been thankful for mine on 2 occasions now, especially the second one when the Oil pump pulley fell off on the M1 motorway, and the tray stopped it flying off into another car, and it being lost forever.

It also protects the belts from debris on the roads hitting the belts and pulleys.

one can be made easily with some 3mm sheet Ally, and a tape measure.

That what I would have thought, It must protect the cambelt from road debris.

"Rob, I've currently got mine off. It's for the S4 model. You can try if it's close or even the same."

Thanks for the look. PM me your details and we'll get together.

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone 😞

Sydney, Australia

I've got an S3 one sitting waiting to be fitted, it's a bit different to the later ones, it's a lot smaller, it's U shaped and only about 3 feet long, 3 feet wide if flatened out. The one that goes with the later cars is the whole width of the under side of the car IIRC.

Andy

If you need the measuremetns and photos. I'll dig it out.

Andy

Gday all

I have one under mine ....

Great for keeping engine clean .....PAIN THE Rearend .... when wanting to give it a oil change ...unbolt about dozen screws.... then its off.

I had mine off a month a go .... if known then , could have taken pics of it and dimensions taken .

Its off the ramps and on the floor now ... mind you a cambelt change could be done soon.

pomoz 87S3 HC na

Cough Cough Im Off

What does it attach to? Are there fixing points for it? Also should there be an undertray at the front of the chassis to protect the cooling pipes where they come out of the chassis - there seems to be several screw holes there that look loke a flat triangular plate fixes on there. My 1981 S3 has neither the front nor back undertray

Joolz

Joolz- Under the engine the fixing goes like this (reference your 87 HC). There is a metal channel that runs from left to right behind the seat bolts. This recieves the leading edge. Then there are holes with J-Nuts along the underneath of the car. Just inside of the sills. The last bolt hole is inside the back wheel wells. I think a total of 10 bolts/5 on each side.

I was told that it is used to keep water from splashing onto the exhaust and manifold in the rain. Hot manifold, cold puddled water, could crack the metal.

Yes there is an undertray up front too. This protects the front oil cooler and coolant lines. Plus it directs the air flow underneath the car. This comes in two pieces, split down the middle... and screws into the front lower spoiler.

My car is currently at GST Performance where Geoff has told me that 2 retaining strips are required to fix the rear undertray in position, he has duly ordered a second. Having looked on LEW at the parts explosive diagram I can only see one strip, so I am a bit confused now.

Mike Kimberly at the launch of the Lotus Evora,

"These cars will be for the few who know the difference!"

A book a read recently told a different story on the undertray. What I can remember is the "trailing edge {shape} of the tray ties in with the lower ducts preceding the rear wheels. As air goes over the top of the car the "lip spoiler" before the slated rear deck creates a pressure drop pulling air from under the car over the rear wing".

Dad has the book at his house and I will get him to pass on the title and author.

Cheers,

jeff

www.espritturbo.com

The info I have is from the Esprit Platform Manager at the Lotus Factory, Brian Angus. He was the Esprit 'God' for 25 years of it's production and in all honesty still is, there is nothing he doesn't know about the car!

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

My 1984 turbo never came with one :P

Does anyone have one in Sydney have one I could look at or buy, or does anyone have the exact dimensions/cutouts bends etc so I can get one made up?

Rob, I am in Perth West Aust. and had one made by a Esprit owner / boat builder that has moulds for all parts for G series cars. He has made a number of replica parts for my car and others here.

Only issue would be freight from Perth to Sydney - however a lot easier than UK -Sydney.

Not sure if you have found another solution in the mean time.

That would be great!

Let me know his contact details.

Robert

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone 😞

Sydney, Australia

Contact Glen Swarbrick Mob: 0411597948

He has been very busy with many jobs, so you may have to keep on his back to get him to commit to a deadline. Give him a call.

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys

Will be trying to make 2 for my two Turbo cars,SJ did have them in stock in fibreglass this was about 4 years ago.Fibreglass is the way to go, as have tryed to do it in s/steel 1.5mm and found to be to heavy.So will try fibreglass.

John