Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
You US guys... - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

You US guys...

I'm getting an Esprit, been approved for the loan, just need proof of insurance before the money is released. Are there any US insurers that will give reasonable rates?

I'm currently insured with Progressive Direct and I called them up and they quoted me $2100 for a 6 month premium.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

All depends on your age and driving record. An old fart like me, with a (relatively) clean record--accidents and tickets, is going to pay a lot less. I'm with the Auto Club (AAA), and pay about $800 or $900 per year (not six months). I also had Liberty Mutual years ago, when I had a 911, and paid about the same.

You might want to shed the supercharged Chevy. Two Turbos is only going to add to your insurance misery.

Brucet

Wow thats crazy...I'm paying $750 annually in Mass for a 1991 SE with collision/comprehensive....and Mass is a very expensive state. Do you have some speeding tickets or something?

I know a few guys on the US esprit yahoo group are using Geico, USAA....you might want to check with them.

-Chandra

91SE

I'm getting an Esprit, been approved for the loan, just need proof of insurance before the money is released. Are there any US insurers that will give reasonable rates?

I'm currently insured with Progressive Direct and I called them up and they quoted me $2100 for a 6 month premium.

Any suggestions?

I'd try American Collectors Insurance or Haggerty (although they turned me down).

Be sure to agree with them to the stated value of the car and think of limiting your insurance to a specific amount of milage.

It helped me.

I need to have full coverage because I got the loan as an auto loan. Its for a 1990 Esprit SE, 21 year old with one speeding ticket on my record. Yea, I know age and record has a bit to do with it but $4200/yr is really high.

I also forgot to add that it was a pretty involved process to get a quote for the Esprit. The guy had to call corporate and have them research the value of the car and everything. Any insurers in the states that will hand out quotes for a Lotus like they do for a Honda?

And to Bruce, the Chevy is on the auction block. Blew the motor for the third time this year that and over $3000 in transmission repairs, it just has to go.

Edited by B.Kling

With Hagerty classic car insurance you have to have a modern car (not necessarily insured with Hagerty) as your daily driver.

Have you looked at this thread where members have posted their insurance costs and companies? May give you an idea of what you should expect to pay and who to try.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I have only been offered insurance by Allstate and Progressive. NO OTHER COMPNAY WOULD TAKE ME. I've tried them all.

Progressive rates went crazy (a la 4-5K a year) even with an ever-improving record so I went with Allstate a couple years ago and I'm down to 150/mo. I forget the exact terms.

I'm 31 with a couple tickets and fender benders. :lol:

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

If you have AAA, you might try american hobbyist...my late 93 was $450/year, stated coverage of $27K. I was 38 at the time though. Not sure if there are age limitations.

Have you looked at this thread where members have posted their insurance costs and companies? May give you an idea of what you should expect to pay and who to try.

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available. :lol:

I have only been offered insurance by Allstate and Progressive. NO OTHER COMPNAY WOULD TAKE ME. I've tried them all.

Progressive rates went crazy (a la 4-5K a year) even with an ever-improving record so I went with Allstate a couple years ago and I'm down to 150/mo. I forget the exact terms.

I'm 31 with a couple tickets and fender benders. :)

Hmm, I'll have to give Allstate a call tomorrow.

I'm with AAA and pay about $800 a year for the V8

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

if you have a clean record give geico a call. I originally have allstate $1900 / 6 months and they wouldnt give me collision on the esprit since it was an older car. I switched to geico $1150 / 6 months for comprehensive coverage which no other insurer would even give me. So in other words.. I switched to geico and saved a bunch of money on my car insurance!

Hagarty is the way to go if you are able. You can't use the car as daily driver and you must have another car. I agreed to 3k miles per year and my total anual premium is $ 400. I have no tickets or claims, that comes with having a very good lawyer for a wife.

Cheers

Clay

I've had Hagerty for the last couple of years. As others have said, you have to show proof of another car as a daily driver. The 91 SE costs me about $600/year for both myself and my wife as named drivers. 5000 miles per year maximum.

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available. :lol:

You have to be a member of 'Club Esprit' to view that thread. As a member, you also get discount on Hagerty insurance in the States. :)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.