Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brake Fluid - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brake Fluid

The brake/clutch fluid on my 1990 SE (non ABS) needs replacing, I always used the normal dot 4 brake fluid. This time I want to use a higher spec fluid and today I came across ATE Super Blue Racing Fluid. Does anyone have experience with this type. The information about the Super Blue Racing fluid on the ATE website is quite marginal and it has the same specs as their TYP 200 Brake Fluid. Any ideas or pro/cons or different brake fluids ideas are welcome.

Freek

Esprit Freak

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for quick answer Bibs, I read the the topic before I started this one. I like to know someone's experiences with different kind of fluids ie the changing intervals (the ATE BRF has a change interval of up to 3 years according their website) performance etc. I came across one reference on LEF but it only said I use it.

Freek

Edited by fjmuurling

Esprit Freak

The main thing is it's DOT4, so meets Lotus spec.

You could go for one that meets a higher spec, if so avoid 5.0, and go to 5.1 (search silicone brake fluid in the forum and you'll see why to avoid 5.0)

Andy

Edited by andydclements

No expert by any means...... I was told that ATE has a higher boiling point and less water absorption abilities than regular DOT 4. I'm probably wrong. I alternate between ATE Super Blue and ATE when I change fluids every year. I use ATE on all my vehicles. Probably doesn't help you much....

Dunt really matter unless your a crappy driver or on the track - you shouldn't be able to heat the brakes significantly to fade under temperature on the road unless you're driving like a mad man (imo)

I know people will go berserk but I use the halfords stuff, as long as it conforms to dot 4 or 5.1 it'll meet the requirements for a road car (probably the same stuff just re-labled !

IMO I would rather have a car that has used the unbranded stuf but had it done more often and more thoroughly and using the super boils at 10,000c stuff and done less frequently.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

castrol SRF is the best no contest.

castrol LMA isn't for performance but it is very low moisture absorption so it should last a long time in a street driven car only. i would be worried about corrosion though, DOT 3&4 fluids actually absorb moisture to keep it from causing corrosion .

I've used motul RBF 600 with the stock SE brakes on the track and it still boiled after 4 laps with stock pads.

best setup is sport 300 AP brakes, castrol SRF, and ferodo 2500 or 3000 pads IMO.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I'm with Jonathan on this one, using Castrol LMA (believe it stands for Low Moisture Absorption?) and as I'm not on the track it seems to stop the car just fine.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

There is strong talk about some non Castrol LMA fluids that many have said it has been known to soften and erode the Girling seals of the clutch system. I always say why take a chance that they are correct. Not sure about effects on the brakes.

The reason I choose the ATE BRF was acmbination of specs and availabilty. I wanted to use a higher spec / better fluid than the normal generic DOT 4 fluid. An option was to switch to DOT 5.1 but as my car is non ABS i wanted to stick to DOT 4. The ATE BRF and the ATE TYP 200 are both a DOT 4 fluid with higher specs (improved dry and wet boiling point), however the BRF stuff was readily available from the shelf so that is what I bought and it was reasonable priced as well (aprox

Esprit Freak

just to clear up some chatter . . . dot 5 does resist absorbtion of water better than dot 4 this is hydroscopic property . . . that actually raises its boiling point. Regular dot 4 can absorb water from the atmosphere thus lowering its boling point. I run dot 5 in a porsche 930 turbo on the track, with 928 S4 4 piston huge calipers on the back, no problems. But if you are not tracking it . ..dot 4 is fine . . .