Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cleaning advice required - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Cleaning advice required

Afternoon all

So I'm booked in for a hefty session of washing (afraid my technique is probably not sufficiently refined to justify the 'detailing' tag) this weekend and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I've fully stocked up on Autoglym products (polish, glass cleaner, wheel cleaner & shampoo) but have just been skirting through the 'Detailing 101' thread and have decided that I need a clay bar. Does anybody know of any chains (or stores local to Peterborough) that sell these? I've seen that Halfords used to do a pack but I cannot see it on their website.

Secondly, is it a good idea to pressure wash the underside of the car? The car picked up a load of salt on a recent drive and I'm keen to get it off but don't know if I could do more harm than good?

Good weekend all and thanks in advance.

Cheers

Tim

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Autoglym products too. They're the best of the "Cheap and cheerful" car cleaning stuff. I also use a red wax to help hide up the stone chips on the front. It hides all but the biggest and normally hangs around for 2 months or so.

To really protect the paint I would recommend a detailing session (expect

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Get yourself some Bilt Hamber Autoclay and some Autobalm, great products and good value. http://www.bilthamber.com/

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Pressure washers are OK as long as you turn the pressure down on the lance. Full blast will likely remove the odd black paint from inside the wheelarches.

For all your car cleaning tips, this is a good site:

detailing site

and no, I'm not in any way affiliated, but some of their giudes are very good.

Tim B

theres nothing wrong with getting the car dirty, its meant to be driven, best thing is having a nice day to strip and clean it again. as stress busters go its fantastic for me as i can just sit down and clean and polish all day long.

Thanks all for your input. I managed to pick up a clay bar and after about 8 hours (rinse, shampoo, clay bar, polish, wax), the car is looking spotless. I was impressed with the clay bar but not completely blown away - maybe I was expecting too much, and I'm guessing that some of the (only noticeable when you're right on top of the body work) small marks have probably been there for a while. I reckon a decent application every 6 months or so is well worth doing.

Cheers

Tim

I had my car detailed by these conmen last Summer http://www.permagard.info/permagard%20benefits.htm

Waste of time!!

The car was shiney in the sunlight but disappointing under the garage light when I got it home.

The text clearly says they elliminate swirl marks - wasn t sure when I left the place if they understood what swirl marks were??

I complained as before they started the job the boss assured me that the swirl marks were the least of his problems - they were the reason the car went in (for the glass like polish)

Nice touch demonstrating the finish in the dark industrial unit with the lights off and then in the bright sunlight so the swirl marks were obscured!!

Anyway............absolute crap!

And the boss bloke winged that he had had two clowns on the car all day and he'd lost money on the job???!!

Best way is to spend a weekend detailing the car yourself with the best products you can buy. Just as good finish and 10th of the cost :)

I have to ask myself - 'do I feel lucky'?