Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
aux pulley - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

aux pulley

Drfatz

I have a 90 SE and I was wondering if the aux pulley still dictates ignition timing since our cars have electronic ignition? Or is the aux pulley just for the charge pump. I ask because I'm still trying to figure out why my car is having vacume problems.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 90 SE and I was wondering if the aux pulley still dictates ignition timing since our cars have electronic ignition? Or is the aux pulley just for the charge pump. I ask because I'm still trying to figure out why my car is having vacume problems.

The ignitions timing is taken off the fly wheel the sensor is on top of the bell housing. the Aux pulley drives the oil pump and the charge cooler pump so still has an important part to play.

The vacuum on the SE comes from a mechanical vacuum pump driven from the triple belt pulley on the front of the crank, you could have a problem there. also there is and outlet pipe that runs along the bottom chassis rail this may be crushed or blocked thus reducing the vacuum that the pump can create.

I've seen several of the mechanical vacuum pumps on these cars quit at about 60k miles. The pump usually starts making a sound like a honking goose.

The vacuum system is very simple.

It goes to the brake booster with a Tee to another Tee over the right side fuel tank. From there it goes to the controls for the heater in the cockpit (those dials that you turn to change it to recirc or fresh air. and it also goes to the back relay panel for the throttle jack solenoid and the EBPV solenoid.

That's it

Use a hand vacuum pump to diagnose each section and see the ability for the pump to create vacuum. Either block off one section at a time, or isolate and test each section with the hand pump.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Before we all start going off in different directions, what sort of vacuum problems are you having? Engine performance, or accessory vacuum?

The aux pulley has no effect.

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

That's exactly what I was thinking Sanj! Is the engine having a hard time idling? Is the idle vacuum too low? What's the symptom making you think it's vacuum related?

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

I guess I wasn't clear enough before, but by vacuum I ment the engine was not pulling enough vacuum in the intake manifold. I thought that if the Aux pulley still had something to do with ignition perhaps the ignition wasn't quite right and was causing my problem. However, I guess I need to look else where. This vacuum problem I have been having is the same one that has plagued my engine for 6-7 months now :X

How much vacuum is it pulling? At what RPM?

I think I may have sorted the vacuum proble. After alot of playing around for months I noticed that my timing was 1 tooth off. Fixed it and now my MAP is lower idle is better and exhaust no longer reeks! I'm going to drive it tonight and she how she does

WOOHOOO! Let us know ASAP! And some damn pictures already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm