Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Can Backfiring damage the turbo? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Can Backfiring damage the turbo?

From what I understand it is "normal" for our cars to backfire a bit when you put on a highflow exhaust/cat with bigger turbo etc. Well my car certainly backfires (afterfires?) on overrun. I am not so much concerned with the noise as I am with the potential damage. I am wondering if the backfire will shorten the life of my expensive Garrett GT3071R! :lol: One would expect a explosion in the exhaust to dramatically increase exhaust pressure and blow back against the exhaust turbine in the turbo. At the very least this may stall the turbo.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Provided that you

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Thanks Mike, I was hoping that it wouldn't damage the turbo. So far as I can tell it only happens on overrun and not under load. However, it does cause my knock count to go up. I image that this is because the knock sensor is acoustic and the loud pop sets it off. If the computer counts knocks on overrun will it pull back timing and hurt overall performance?

Hi,

The S4 I had spat flames popped,banged and generally gurgled on overrun and then when you hit the gas again. There was nothing wrong with it.In fact that was the only bit that was ok. :blush:

It used to scare the hell out of the prep girls at my daughters school!! :blush:

Rich

think about how many race cars backfire on entry into a corner . . . i dont think at that point it hurts anything . . . may mean your exhaust is flowing a bit too freely . . . overlap of exhaust valve and intake valve and your losing unburnt fuel out the exhaust where it is igniting . . .

My S4s backfires occasionally between up shifts also. It has a Stebro free flow dual exhaust, so that adds to it I'm sure. Just curious, Is there anyone out there with a 4 pot and open exhaust that doesn't get a backfire at times? It sounds like it's fairy normal.

yep when i used to race, they would tune the exhaust to provide just enough back pressure to keep the gas/air charge mixture in the cylinder head during valve overlap . . . total free flow makes it ez for the mixture coming in the intake valve to escape out the exhaust valve . . . but it can also be not completely burned fuel . . .

My S4s backfires occasionally between up shifts also. It has a Stebro free flow dual exhaust, so that adds to it I'm sure. Just curious, Is there anyone out there with a 4 pot and open exhaust that doesn't get a backfire at times? It sounds like it's fairy normal.

I've no cat and no silencers and it sounds like the 4 horsemen of the apocolypse are chasing me down the road! I think that any Esprit with a non-standard (ie better flow) exhaust will detonate unburnt fuel with a vengance!

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.